It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Are Preparing for Possible Pandemic Spread of New Bird Flu Strain

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Scientists at Saint Louis University are preparing for the potential pandemic spread of a new bird flu strain that caused severe disease in China last spring, joining researchers from seven other Vaccine and Treatment Evaluation Units funded by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) to test vaccines to protect against the illness in adults.

"Because this is a completely novel flu virus, our immune systems have not been exposed to any like it. Consequently, those who contract the H7N9 influenza virus may become very ill, which is why this virus had a fairly high mortality last spring in China," ...

...the virus might change to become very contagious between people, which could trigger a global outbreak,"...

Scientists Are Preparing for Possible Pandemic Spread of New Bird Flu Strain

Public health authorities offer us one line of defence against pandemic flu: vaccines. Just like disease-causing bacteria have developed antibiotic resistance, viruses develop anti-viral resistance. We're offered vaccines because it's the only option. However, unfortunately but not surprisingly, current research suggests that overreliance on vaccines for H5N1 bird flu is responsible for viral mutation and the appearance of H7N9 bird flu in China earlier this year.

A recent study on bird flu viruses has raised questions on overreliance on vaccines as a cure all strategy and which could have even spurred the emergence of newer strains.

the widespread use of H5N1 vaccine in East Asia might have predisposed the emergence of H7N9 and other related viruses.

Zee Leung, programme officer at the International Development Research Centre (IDRC) in Canada, agrees with the findings pointing out that the research suggest that vaccination may have encouraged the H7N9 virus to mutate faster.

Sadly, the threat is real.

The main reason that new viruses such as H1N1, H7N9 and H5N1 are so dangerous is that humans have little or no existing ability to attack and neutralize them.

Novel avian influenza A virus has potential for both virulence and transmissibility in humans

A new study has found that a novel avian-origin H7N9 influenza A virus, which has recently emerged in humans, attaches moderately or abundantly to the epithelium of both the upper and lower respiratory tracts. This pattern has not been observed before for avian influenza A viruses. The report, published in the October issue of The American Journal of Pathology, suggests that the emerging H7N9 virus has the potential to cause a pandemic, since it may transmit efficiently in humans and cause severe pneumonia.

..."Our results indicate that based just on the pattern of virus attachment the H7N9 currently emerging in China has the potential both to cause severe pulmonary disease and to be efficiently transmitted among humans," says Dr. Kuiken. He emphasizes that attachment is only the first step in the replication cycle of influenza virus in its host cell, and that other steps, as well as the host response, need to be taken into account to fully understand the potential of these emerging H7 viruses to cause an influenza pandemic.

H7N9 studies flesh out infectivity patterns in humans, pigs

Researchers looking for molecular clues to help global health officials assess the risk from the new H7N9 virus in China reported this week that it is adept at attaching to human lower and upper respiratory tract cells and that it replicates efficiently in swine airway tissues.

…The findings confirmed that the new H7N9 virus is capable of infecting pigs, which significantly increases the risk of H7N9 outbreaks and the virus's potential for acquiring mutations or gene segments that could enhance transmissibility in mammals, the team concluded.

They noted that human infections detected in China over the summer show that H7N9 is still circulating, but so far there are no systems in place in northern or eastern China to monitor the virus in pigs.

Beyond vaccines, the next line of defence in the official pike involves global enforcement of the Codex Alimentarius for "biosecurity" and "biosafety" to prevent pandemics - corporate control of food production, processing and marketing - with food animals cramped together inside enclosures away from wild birds and animals. This won't work either but they're pushing it anyway.

Although factory farming has been a target of much criticism, it has its defenders. Marie Gramer, a veterinarian at the University of Minnesota, said enclosed farm buildings offer "biosecurity" from pathogens carried by wild animals, including birds and wild pigs.

Bird flu viruses H7N9 and H5N1 continue to pose threats to health: FAO

…“Bird flu viruses continue to circulate in poultry. Efforts must continue and be strengthened, not only in affected countries, but also in neighbouring states and areas with strong trade linkages. This is especially true for H7N9, since it causes no clinical signs in birds and is therefore very difficult to detect in poultry.”

In the longer-term fight against H7N9 and other viruses, FAO and USAID are urging countries to invest in improving the way they market and sell poultry.

“We need keep our eyes on the bigger picture of promoting healthy food systems, especially when it comes to animal production and marketing,”
Lubroth said.

We're already living our future. We take vaccinations and medications that create new diseases, then take more and different medications and vaccinations for the newest diseases - over and over in an expanding spiral. We raise our food animals in bubbles called factory farms, and our world government is positioning to force this bubble-model globally. True, most humans aren't quite ready to live in bubbles but that's coming too.

There ARE more options. What are the alternatives ATS?

ALSO SEE:

In what is described as it’s worst outbreak of the dangerous virus since first reported in 2004, Cambodia health officials are reporting two additional confirmed cases of human H5N1 avian influenza in two children, according to a Xinhua report today.

CIDRAP: …the disease has hit children especially hard since it was first detected in the country in 2005. Since then, Cambodia has confirmed 41 H5N1 cases and 30 deaths.

H7N9 studies affirm pathogenesis, transmission data

Earlier this month, while you were busy sneaking out of your empty office, hoping nobody would notice your starting the holiday weekend early, the USDA was also doing something it was hoping nobody would notice. It was green-lighting the sale of Chinese processed American chicken. As Politico explained, “U.S. officials have given the thumbs-up to four Chinese poultry plants, paving the way for the country to send processed chicken to American markets.” But while, “at first, China will only be able to process chicken that has been slaughtered in the U.S. or other certified countries,” that should not be a comfort to fans of the McNugget, Campbell’s chicken soup, or any other processed chicken product.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   
they're preparing cause they're the ones that will be spreading it, followed by thousand dollar vaccine shots

pop control

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Flu mutating 8 times faster than any flu virus known: The new bird flu could be mutating up to eight times faster than an average flu virus around a protein that binds it to humans, a team of research scientists in Shenzhen says. Dr .He Jiankui, an associate professor at South University of Science and Technology of China, said yesterday that the authorities should be alarmed by the results of their research and step up monitoring and control efforts to prevent a possible pandemic. With genetic code of the virus obtained from mainland authorities, the team scrutinized haemagglutinin, a protein that plays a crucial rule in the process of infection. The protein binds the virus to an animal cell, such as respiratory cells in humans, and bores a hole in the cell’s membrane to allow entry by the virus. The researchers found dramatic mutation of haemagglutinin in one of the four flu strains released for study by the central government. Nine of the protein’s 560 amino acids had changed. In a typical flu virus, only one or two amino acids could change in such a short period of time, He said. “It happened in just one or two weeks. The speed may not have caught up with the HIV, but it’s quite unusual for a flu.” The fast mutation makes the virus’ evolutionary development very hard to predict

theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com...
I tried to do the external text quote but as usual it only works about half the time for me

Text

works fine unless you want to actually put text in the box....DUH!

The above was posted on April 27, this year..

So far in Thailand and Laos there have been no reported cases to my knowledge... Hope it stays that way

edit on Fri Sep 20 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: EX tags added

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Dominicus

they're preparing cause they're the ones that will be spreading it

I have no doubt our population is being controlled, and culled, and pushed towards euthanasia and other Eugenics policies. I've been pointing out here for the past decade that agricultural corporations have the most to gain from bioterrorism. In fact, I suspect that one such corporation "salted" China's open markets with H7N9 virus. But. You need to study up on evolution, molecular biology and proteomics. At least. There's a helluva lot more to this story.

We have changed, and allowed to be changed, the molecular foundations of our world. Now we're dealing with the evolutionary effects. No bioterrorism required.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

Thanks 747sky. Flu viruses already mutate quickly - and H7N9 is even faster. But we're seeing similar rapid mutations everywhere in everything, especially with resistance. The reason for the resistance mutations' rapid spread is surprising: turns out that when such mutations are successful, they do not spread vertically from one generation to the next - transmission of these mutations is horizontal! Unthinkable but true.

Which leads to the obvious questions:

* If DNA mutations essential to species survival can be spread horizontally like a cold, what else besides antibiotic and anti-viral resistance is spreading in this way?

* If the speed of bacteria and viruses adaptations are increasing in response to environmental change (eg., exposure to vaccines, antibiotics and antivirals), are we responsible for forcing their rapid evolution?

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Time to break out my gasmask...

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Always like reading updates on this stuff so appreciate these threads. So I get how they are trying to protect people but...

What do you do if you truly meed an antibiotic? This is a bacterial thing but we have become so reliant on them I seriously forgot how people used to get rid of a severe sore throat or sinus thing as an example.

There are no anti virals widely given so people are told to wait it out. Is this why this particular disease is causing so many deaths?

I did not know canned chicken soups were coming from China. How can we know where our food is manufactured? Is it in the bar code?

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Glad I got my MMS. My miracle mineral solution rips the electrons off ANY pathogens in me, period. I've already tested it on every health problem I've had.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   
With all of the humans on earth, how long will it be before something mutates and becomes transmittable to other animals and suddenly kills off millions of them?

In this case, it appears they've adapting to tactics used by humans. This probably only makes them effective against humans, but could it make them more dangerous to other creatures too? If it mutated and became transmittable, the other creatures might not have any defense against it unless they too can be vaccinated or put inside a bubble.

I guess we should be grateful that infectious agents generally don't cross the species barrier. If the did, there'd be rampant deaths across the world, since there're so many species.

What does this say for poor populations that might not be able to afford to live in bubbles? If a virus mutates to become effective against richer people who have better methods then it could become extremely dangerous to poor populations where richer methods are not available. This could be an example of survival of the fittest.
edit on 20-9-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Viruses has been around for a long time, they mutate every so many years, decades of even a century, we know that the Flu virus mutates almost every year that is why vaccines are pushed also every year.

The only defense we humans have is the ability of keep our immune system healthy enough to fight back the mutations and most of us do.

Sadly with all the environmental factors affecting us by nature and mostly man made, our immune systems are becoming compromised.

I feel very sorry for anybody that have an immune deficiency problem because they are the ones that can potentially without precautions can succumb to virus mutations.

We can not all live in bubble, but I am sure some profiteer is working on it as we speak.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   
You know, pandemics are not a new thing. They have thinned all animal species including humans since... well, i don't think I've read about a time where it didn't happen. Oddly enough there is one group of people that seemed to withstand the pandemics. Jews. Now, I'm not one, I happen to be Catholic. The point I'm getting at is they (and a lot of Catholics) have strict cleanliness rules. Wash your hands, tend to your food in a sanitary manner, change your sheets once a week, bathe, eat food that is clean and good for you. When you keep your body nourished, and clean its amazing what your immune system can defeat.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   

It does not surprise me whatsoever. Perhaps with rewiring human DNA, virus's could be targeted against certain populations based on the food they eat.

There have been studies done which show how GM O's can completely rewire a mouse's liver genetically speaking. So there is proof, however not in human studies. Who would want to sign up for that?

GM O's transfer miRNA into the body.

How Genetically Modified Foods Could Affect Our Health in Unexpected Ways

D RNA's effects on the body have not been studied. I have a theory they are rewiring our genes and so does this writer.

Is GMO Rewiring our DNA?

Meanwhile, Scientists are busily working on FLU Virus's in their bio-labs.

DURC policy in flux in the wake of published H5N1 studies

Methinks the Plebes are are not liked.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by jonnywhite

With all of the humans on earth, how long will it be before something mutates and becomes transmittable to other animals and suddenly kills off millions of them?

...I guess we should be grateful that infectious agents generally don't cross the species barrier.

Thanks for posting jonnywhite. Unfortunately, things have changed biologically speaking. Ustabe diseases didn't cross species barriers. Now, they cross species AND kingdom barriers with some regularity. Paleontologists who look at genetics also have found evidence that (at least one?) very early microbe crossed the domain barrier.

...the other creatures might not have any defense against it unless they too can be vaccinated or put inside a bubble.

What does this say for poor populations that might not be able to afford to live in bubbles? If a virus mutates to become effective against richer people who have better methods then it could become extremely dangerous to poor populations where richer methods are not available. This could be an example of survival of the fittest.

"Survival of the fittest" is about successful adaptation to the (changing) environment. Our environment is going through very rapid and multitudinous changes - and so too is life on this planet. One way of looking at the evolutionary process is to see microbes as the mechanism of adaptation - messengers who bring successful adaptations/mutations to complex lifeforms. In any event, simply avoiding a changing environment instead of adapting to it is not 'survival of the fittest' - and anyone who thinks they won't be exposed to a changed environment in a bubble, with all-new disease mutations requiring adaptations and all-new host mutations simply does not understand life.

Again - vaccines, antibiotics, antivirals and other medications jumpstart the evolutionary process and accelerate evolutionary change. Can't be avoided, but could be slowed down.

edit on 20/9/13 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

...There are no anti virals widely given so people are told to wait it out. Is this why this particular disease is causing so many deaths?

Antivirals were widely used to treat the bird flu(s) in Asia - and also are commonly used here by people who can afford them. So now, most of the new flu's are antiviral resistant.

I did not know canned chicken soups were coming from China. How can we know where our food is manufactured? Is it in the bar code?

It's a new trade deal - hasn't started yet.

...Thanks for posting.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by StopThaZionistWorldOrder

Lots of people swear by their natural preventions and treatments. Me too. Also, the cytokine storm and huge inflammatory response caused by these new flu's makes me wonder about the ice bath fetish in The Secret Garden. Maybe they were on to something with that one. ....Thanks for posting.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

...The only defense we humans have is the ability of keep our immune system healthy enough to fight back the mutations and most of us do.

Sadly with all the environmental factors affecting us by nature and mostly man made, our immune systems are becoming compromised.

Thanks for posting marg. I think this "War Against Nature" thing is what gets us into trouble. We are not supposed to fight these new mutations - we're supposed to work with them, and integrate them into our microbiomes" if not our genomes - or at least let our bodies do what they were designed to do instead of interfering and sabotaging the process.

Maybe our immune systems are compromised because Western medicos never figured out what immunity really is or how it works - and they've been going about it all wrong.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by mrsdudara

You know, pandemics are not a new thing. They have thinned all animal species including humans since... well, i don't think I've read about a time where it didn't happen. Oddly enough there is one group of people that seemed to withstand the pandemics. Jews. Now, I'm not one, I happen to be Catholic. The point I'm getting at is they (and a lot of Catholics) have strict cleanliness rules. Wash your hands, tend to your food in a sanitary manner, change your sheets once a week, bathe, eat food that is clean and good for you. When you keep your body nourished, and clean its amazing what your immune system can defeat.

Thank you. Worth repeating. I think eating natural nourishing food and practicing good hygiene works because then we expose our bodies to small "doses" of disease from natural sources - of a kind and at a level that we are designed to integrate and assimilate. No lifeform is designed to handle huge overwhelming doses - the systems just overload and burn out.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   

I agree, our immune system have a purpose and a reason, but like you say we are fighting against it even when we don't even notice.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by FarmerGeneral

Yup. GMO's rewire our proteomes, microbiomes and eventually our genomes. So do a whole lot of other things we've introduced into our world. We're in for a wild, wild ride - it's just starting and we've barely felt the first tiny bump.

I agree - most in power do not like the Plebes. Funny thing though, they keep talking about "survival of the fittest" - and rant that "the poor breed like rabbits" while the upper classes are losing their fertility. Duh. Maintaining the ability to "breed like rabbits" IS survival of the fittest. The ability to lock oneself in a bubble may be evidence of economic fitness but can only lead to biological extinction.

....imho, scientists working on FLU Virus's in their bio-labs is not necessarily a bad thing - many of these guys really do care about Plebes and do want to help - their research is leading to a better understanding of not just flu but also evolution and how the world works and sustains life. Important stuff in my opinion.

PS. I suspect 'they' already tried targeting diseases to genetically distinct populations - it didn't work and it will never work because life really cannot be directed and controlled. Like Chrichton said, “Life will find a way.” It's all about adaptation, mutation and evolution.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 03:45 AM
link   
We are lucky that to date that we have not seen a pandemic that was on a global scale for many decades. I am thinking of the 1918 flu which killed millions. Had that broken out today the impact would have been far greater. I do think we are overdue for another pandemic. We are living on borrowed time. Ironically I am currently watching Survivors a BBC sci fi drama series from the 1970s in which an accidental release of a virus in a bio lab went on to cause the extinction of 99% of the human race. Rather like nuclear war but without the use of nukes.

Given all the suffering, overpopulation, wars, greed and general poor state of affairs in the world at the moment, I cant but help think this is nature's way of relieving the stress on the planet and starting over. A natural life cycle.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join