It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Private Message System Verklempt

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 05:47 AM
link   
If only "real life" were that easy.

A shame. I had some emails in there. But I would not relegate this to an ELE or Nirubu-style event.

It's more like. . . . . . .

"Honey? Did you buy those tiny onions for my martini's today?"

"No dear, I forgot."

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Is it possible to get back my in-box via email?

Edit: Now I know that its impossible.
edit on 20-9-2013 by GroomLakePolishFAN because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Thanks for the info! I don't mind though if recovery of my messages isn't possible... I already read all of them.

Nice new avatar BTW.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Skeptic, you must have married one fine lady. The amount of time you've spent on this project has not gone unnoticed by myself, and I'm sure, others. But be careful. Even the best of them have limits to their patience.

On topic: Redundancy SO. I've had to define this word to many a customer regarding computers... However, even redundancy isn't perfect. Sometimes, defecation just happens.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 07:12 AM
link   

sonnny1

Question.

I noticed back in the last version of ATS, that when we receive messages, the hot bar would let you know you had one, without having to actually check to see if you received one. Is there a reason why that isn't implemented on this version?

It did come in handy, and It was a great feature. I can only assume its more of a hassle coding it, and thats why we dont have it anymore or maybe its a bit taxing to the servers.

Just wondering SO..

See the following post. It's all explained... www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Like TrueBrit...I half expected this could happen.
Ah, well, in the grand scheme of things not going to hurt my day at all.

Thanks for letting us know...and doing what you do for us and ATS....

And I'm actually glad you brought back your famous avatars....missed the Red Spandex

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   

No.

You didn't use the word "verklempt".....

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Do you happen to know why when I post a reply in a forum my star is gone? I have only seen this on one other person's comment besides mine, what gives?

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I had some saved from someone here who passed away. Oh well. I had most of them memorized and still in my heart.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   
No Backups?

Ouch...

Being a Network Admin Backups are must.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   
But... but...

I had just gotten a message from the Prince of Nigeria that he needed my help moving money out of the country! It was gonna make me millions, and now it's gone!

Crap. Well, I guess I can check with the NSA to see if they have a copy

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   

I've paid significant amounts of money for far worse results. I think ATS could reach out of our displays and slap us in the face every time we log in and it would still be worth more than "free".

I'm not trying to make ATS sound cheap (it's obviously not) but I think people need to remember that our only payment into this club is simply being entertaining for advertisers. Not a bad deal, I would say.

So farewell, Messages! Your passing is sad to us all. Hopefully you won't be reincarnated as private messages in GLP.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   

I didn't keep any messages so I honestly didn't even notice nor care that it started over. lol

It looks less cluttered which is better

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   

abeverage
No Backups?

Yes, lots.

The trouble with a very-large, very-active database table is that minor corruption can sink in such that data is still essentially accessible, but doing so is a stress on the system because of the size of the table. And that subtle corruption is backed up every day.

It's possible to rebuild of the data in the back up -- but eventually end up back where we are relatively soon... an often-accessed huge table with minor corruption slowing things down.

The best course is to start clean.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   

The site is going very well Dr bill. I'm sure, the revenue has gone to sky rocket high due to better responsive theme and more, I think! ....

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   

SkepticOverlord

abeverage
No Backups?

Yes, lots.

The trouble with a very-large, very-active database table is that minor corruption can sink in such that data is still essentially accessible, but doing so is a stress on the system because of the size of the table. And that subtle corruption is backed up every day.

It's possible to rebuild of the data in the back up -- but eventually end up back where we are relatively soon... an often-accessed huge table with minor corruption slowing things down.

The best course is to start clean.

SQL or Oracle? We have a couple TB size Databases that have snapshots, clones and client based backups. Now if we had something like messages we would probably say ok dump it.

HA...ugh we lost our 1st floor cluster this morning...bad bad juju

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

There's a long list of things I'd like to do differently, including moving ATS to a cloud platform, that have various barriers from money, to time, to practicality.

I'd love to have a slave silently replicating our master db in the background... we used to, but the cost became an issue. Rebuilding a corrupt table is a snap if we had that again.

I'd love to have more distributed servers to reduce or eliminate single points of failure -- but that's well beyond our budget.

I'd love to move ATS to an elastic cloud platform, but none have a data policy that would prevent law-enforcement access to our "stuff" without contacting us first.

... and the list goes on.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   

SkepticOverlord
reply to post by abeverage

There's a long list of things I'd like to do differently, including moving ATS to a cloud platform, that have various barriers from money, to time, to practicality.

I'd love to have a slave silently replicating our master db in the background... we used to, but the cost became an issue. Rebuilding a corrupt table is a snap if we had that again.

I'd love to have more distributed servers to reduce or eliminate single points of failure -- but that's well beyond our budget.

I'd love to move ATS to an elastic cloud platform, but none have a data policy that would prevent law-enforcement access to our "stuff" without contacting us first.

... and the list goes on.

The cloud has a few more years to mature. Do you do any Virtualization? We are over redundant.

Have you guys thought about an Ad-free subscription, to help with that budget?

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   

abeverage
Have you guys thought about an Ad-free subscription, to help with that budget?

There are so many ways that wouldn't work, I'm afraid.

And even if it might possibly work, I'd be against it. My fear is that it would create a "culture issue" on the site where those who are paying adopt an attitude of being better than those who are not.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   

I always make backups so that everything is documented even if a whole thread gets removed although it was already in the hoax section for over a year.

Lies are still documented.

Removing the thread does not make it go away.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join