It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

At least 11 shot at chicago park

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by HairlessApe

I love it when people like you come in to a thread and derail it now this thread will turn into another gun control debate.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 12:36 AM
link   

thesaneone

I love it when people like you come in to a thread and derail it now this thread will turn into another gun control debate.

Hopefully not.

Like I posted on the first page, Unemployment is the culprit.

Give these kids jobs, and the gang violence will go down...dramatically.

From 1985......

If there is no work and no future in normal society for these gang members, so they can break through the wall of poverty and welfare in which they see their parents and companions, they see gangs as a way to money and recognition and are blind or callous to the tragic consequences for themselves and innocent bystanders.

If we do not solve the ``modern plague of large unemployment,`` we will not take the most important step in solving the gang problem.

Unemployment And The Gangs

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by thesaneone

I'll be surprised if the anti-gun crowd sinks their teeth very far into this one...

There's a few criteria that will prevent this case from meriting their attention:

A. It's black on black crime: This kills the story almost right off the bat...Anti-gun people don't want to talk about this subject...it's to hot for them

B. It's in Chicago: Some of the strictest gun laws in the nation - enough said...

C. Likely gang related: also a hot topic - inconvenient for the people trying to push new laws as the solution because the brazen breaking of laws by gangs flies in the face of their belief that news laws will solve the problem

D. As of yet, thank God, nobody has died: they seem to not want to talk about it until there is a sufficient body count.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 12:42 AM
link   

hounddoghowlie
i'm gonna go out on a limb and say this is a gang related thing.
and i will go out further and say that this will get, little to no national coverage.

Agree that it's most likely gang related - esp following after the article on here the other day about Chicago just taking over from NY as the murder capital of USA.

Don't know about your national coverage, but it's made it internationally - australian News.com.au pushing the gun debate further:

- I hope the little ones and innocents pull through, hearing stories of too many children involved in the crossfire of peoples attacks lately

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by bkaust

It made RT also.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 12:43 AM
link   

coldkidc

I'll be surprised if the anti-gun crowd sinks their teeth very far into this one...

I know they are talking about it here - see above pic ^ and the proper link is here CHICAGO SHOOTING: What will it take for America to get it?

(that's the article title, not my opinion btw)

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

I do agree with unemployment for the non gang bangers but most of these kids would rather sling some dope for the fast money instead of working a 40 hour week. I think what would help is if these kids had some positive role models in their lives such as a responsible father.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

From 1985......

The country has had almost 30 years to work on the problem. it seem the "solution" is still to assure that a handful of people have most of the wealth in our country. Not sure if billions of dollars can save a person from the future meltdown.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 12:48 AM
link   

coldkidc

Name calling - nice & mature

Too bad all those laws up there didn't prevent this from happening

You probably think we need a few more & the problem will be solved huh?

You mean the laws that didn't get passed because of mass wailing by the uneducated?
Yea, I do believe they'd help. Worked for Australia.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 12:50 AM
link   

thesaneone

Good.

Why shouldn't it be?

Just because the hick concensus is "stop telling us what we don't want to hear?"

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 12:50 AM
link   

So there are no murders in Australia?

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Obama's house is about 3 miles East of where the shooting happened.

No kidding.

Obama
5046 S Greenwood Ave, Chicago, IL

Shooting
1809 West 50th Street, Chicago, IL

The shooting area is all gang and high crime.

The guns and bullets get shipped in by criminals.

Everything is illegal.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 12:53 AM
link   

sonnny1

HairlessApe
reply to post by goou111

Guns are not the problem here. Let's take a look at the real problem - parks. Obviously if those parks did not exist then no one would have been able to have gotten shot at the park.

250 days out of the first 260 days so far this year in America there have been mass shootings. (4 or more shot)

Wake up you damn hicks.

Funny.
(Not really)

I think the glorifying of gangs, the high unemployment for black and other minorities, the lack of any real political motivation to stem the unemployment problem for inner cities, and the weather (hot) have the biggest implications to the violence there.

Give these kids jobs, and they wont be roaming the streets, killing. Give these people a sense of self worth, some hope and maybe progress can be made.

To see why this is so, it's worth looking more closely at the life conditions of those living in most violent neighborhoods in the city. As a handful of commentators have already pointed out, these areas are among the poorest. To put this in perspective, consider that Chicago has the third-highest poverty rate among major U.S. cities, and for black people in particular, Chicago is number one, with a rate of 32.2 percent. The percentage of students that qualify for free lunches at the CPS schools in predominantly black neighborhoods is in the high nineties, and in some schools 100 percent of the students qualify. As Steve Bogira puts it, "If you want children to become violent in their teens and early 20s, these are the right ingredients."

These are also areas plagued by protracted mass unemployment that have been hollowed out by deindustrialization and disinvestment. For example, among black men in the city ages 16-64, employment levels stood at a staggering 48.3 percent in 2010 [PDF] compared to 72.1 percent in 1970. Only Detroit, Cleveland and Milwaukee have higher unemployment figures. Before manufacturers closed down factories in the 1970s, swaths of unionized industrial jobs sustained scores of black workers throughout the city. But, unlike those jobs, the scarce work available to many black Chicagoans today is mostly precarious and low-wage, offering few benefits or opportunities for advancement. And even these kinds of jobs are extremely hard to come by. For example, months ago when a Costco opened just a few miles away from some of the poorest black neighborhoods on the West Side, the Reader reported that over 30,000 people applied for its 130 positions.

Chicago's Violence at Its Source

And once again, for the sake of your convenience, social issues are to blame and that fact that 11 were injured by firearms had nothing to do with the firearms.

Genius.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 12:54 AM
link   

thesaneone

So there are no murders in Australia?

That's retarded. Use your brain.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 12:54 AM
link   

What is with the name calling? Do you think it makes you look intelligent? Go away you are useless.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 12:56 AM
link   

You made the claim it worked in Australia.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Violent crimes were reduced by 50% over 20 years after the criminalization of firearm possession. I didn't say there are no murders or violent crimes. Ever. Period. That is idiotic logic. No wonder you're pro gun.
edit on 20-9-2013 by HairlessApe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 12:59 AM
link   

No, I don't.

I mean the laws currently in place that make it illegal to possess a handgun outside of your house in Chicago without going through mountains of paperwork...those laws...already in place.

Your violent crime rate in Australia spiked after your gun laws were passed. So...no...not going so "swimmingly" as you think over there.

Here's a link to help you actually understand what you're talking about:

Austrailian Crime goes up after Ban

The only thing that went down was gun crime - everything else spiked...but apparently that's a successful result for you. Even though more people are being harmed you still consider it an acceptable outcome.

You're delusional & obviously are ok with being neutered - it's fine with me.

And if you want to see the hicks you're talking about - please, take a flight over here & stop by southside Chicago sometime & start telling them to give up their guns - just promise me you'll video tape it.
edit on 20-9-2013 by coldkidc because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 12:59 AM
link   

thesaneone

What is with the name calling? Do you think it makes you look intelligent? Go away you are useless.

You should be glad! I'm allowing people line you to look like they have a point!

Because courtesy is always right.
edit on 20-9-2013 by HairlessApe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 01:00 AM
link   

thesaneone
reply to post by sonnny1

I do agree with unemployment for the non gang bangers but most of these kids would rather sling some dope for the fast money instead of working a 40 hour week. I think what would help is if these kids had some positive role models in their lives such as a responsible father.

Absolutely. There are not many role models or fathers out there willing to pick up the slack.

I work with BBBS, and I can tell you if everyone just sponsored one child that needs help, the World would be in a better place.

But Unemployment is the main culprit. The inner cities are filled with people perpetually living in a devastating circle, that keeps getting worse.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join