It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prove that God is not real

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Im wondering if the purpose of this thread is to reassure YOU of your belief in God?

It seems so....

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by greavsie1971

It is illogical to be honest. It's a belief. I cant prove to anyone what I believe. It's a personal thing. Hopefully you would respect my beliefs as I respect yours. Unfortunately there are a lot of people who like to bash peoples beliefs on ATS, which is disrespectful. Sorry for being a little defensive.

Those beliefs tend to have an impact on future generations, affecting how they manage the world in their turn. If their ignorance as children continues as adults, their ignorance will affect how they manage the world after we are dead and gone. Then they will instill their ignorance in their own children, and the cycle will be perpetuated. That is why we attempt to curb ignorance wherever we find it. We are thinking of the future.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by danielsil18

I rarely hear a person saying "prove my god does not exist" unless somebody is trying to convince that person that his god does not exist. In that case, it's the skeptic who's making the assertion.

If you want people to believe in your god, prove it. If you want somebody to stop believing in theirs, prove it.

But if you know what you know and I know what I know, neither of us have to prove anything to the other in order to continue believing what we do.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   

johncarter

danielsil18

johncarter

Prove that your God is real.

I don't believe in a god, I was just using an example.

How can you deny something non-existent?
edit on 18-9-2013 by johncarter because: (no reason given)

I'm not saying it doesn't exist. I'm saying I don't believe it.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   

greavsie1971

danielsil18

greavsie1971
Oh no. Not this topic Yet again.

Why do you need to prove or dis prove something that you dont even believe in?

Come on. Let people believe what they want to believe. It's not hurting you is it?

Show a bit of respect guys.
edit on 18-9-2013 by greavsie1971 because: (no reason given)

I'm not asking anyone to prove or disprove something.

I'm just showing that it's illogical to ask people to prove that god is not real.

Who has asked you to prove that?
I believe in God but that would be the last thing I would ask a non believer. It makes no sense. Ive never heard that before.

Many Christians do that and it's illogical.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   

mysterioustranger
Im wondering if the purpose of this thread is to reassure YOU of your belief in God?

It seems so....

Like I told another poster: Don't just read the title.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   

So it is illogical to ask that someone prove the existence of this mythical being, yet it is also illogical to ask someone to disprove the existence of said mythical being. Why are we even bothering with this thread at all, if that's the case?

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

If you want somebody to stop believing in theirs, prove it.

This is where you are being illogical.

I claim a god-eating monster exists... Now prove to me that the monster is not real... You never will.

And also, mostly Christians are the ones that ask the illogical question "prove god is not real".

You basically did it in your post.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   

AfterInfinity

So it is illogical to ask that someone prove the existence of this mythical being, yet it is also illogical to ask someone to disprove the existence of said mythical being. Why are we even bothering with this thread at all, if that's the case?

It bothers me that some people can't realize that its illogical to ask those questions.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Maybe the point is not to learn about God, but to learn about ourselves. The more questions we answer about what we believe in and why, the more we can discover about who we are.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Typically when someone ask me about God this is my opinion.

“ There are known knowns; there are things we know that we know.
There are known unknowns; that is to say, there are things that we now know we don't know.
But there are also unknown unknowns – there are things we do not know we don't know. ”

How would one go about definitive proof? What if God is science/works through science? There is a theory our universe has an operating system perse, what if this is God? A lot of people get confused and think of God as a being so they are out there to prove a being does or doesn't exist. There are so many possibilities on what God could be yet people get hung up on what the 3 major religion's books say.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   

I didnt just read the title. I read it all...and think its you.. not us...that needs re-affirming of faith/belief by the sheer amount of wording used it the original thread.

To me, it appears you are attempting to convince...oh I don't know...yourSELF perhaps?
Just sayin...*(Im done)

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Akragon
First one to prove a negative wins!!

OH FUN!
It can be done. (so what does the winner get?? )

Psychology Today - You can prove a negative

One reason that some people suppose science and reason are incapable of establishing beyond reasonable doubt that certain supernatural claims—for example, that fairies or angels or spirit beings exist—are false, is that they assume you can't prove a negative. Indeed this is widely supposed to be some sort of "law of logic."

For example, Georgia minister Dr. Nelson L. Price asserts on his website that "one of the laws of logic is that you can't prove a negative." If Price is correct and this is indeed a law of logic, then of course it immediately follows that we can't prove that there are no fairies, angels, or spirit beings, or, indeed, that there is no god. We will have established that the nonexistence of God is indeed beyond the ability of reason and/or science to establish!

The fact is, however, that this supposed "law of logic" is no such thing. As Steven D. Hales points in his paper "You Can Prove a Negative," "You can't prove a negative" is a principle of folk logic, not actual logic.

MIchigan State University College of Law - The Mythic Difficulty in Proving a Negative

An oft-cited propoSItiOn holds that there is inherent difficulty in proving negative averments. 1 Despite consistent scholarly attempts to refute this myth,2 judicial reasoning continues to
refer to this supposed difficulty to justify a "shift" in evidentiary burdens.

This article will demonstrate why the folklore is incorrect. There is no special difficulty in proving a negative. There are statements whose logical form leads to difficulty in proof, but the difficulty arises not from the presence of a negative, but rather from a separate, though sometimes related, logical property. Emphasizing that other property will do more than exorcise the logical fallacies in the legal folklore. It will reconcile the differing treatments found in the case law and provide guidance for future decisions

There are tons of articles about proving a negative. So it can be done.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I can't prove it to you, but I know 'he' exists because he has spoken to me in dreams.

I don't expect you to believe me either, I probably wouldn't have believed someone else saying it until it happened to me x

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Then go ahead and prove that God does not exist.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   

How is it possible to prove that my god is not real? It's not possible, it's illogical to ask such question

It is not possible, correct. AND yes, it's illogical to ask such a question. S/F

and it's illogical to say that I will believe in my god until someone disproves it.

Yes. It is also illogical to say that you will do that.

Not sure who or what you're 'digging at' here, but...I'm fairly certain that maybe I could possibly agree with you some day.

Source link

Is Immortality Important?
Religion is about inhabiting the eternal in the here and now.
Karen Armstrong

I THINK I CAN SAFELY SAY that as a child my religious life was ruined by the notion of the afterlife. I was obsessed with the fear of Hell.

This type of piety seems no more religious than paying into a retirement annuity to secure a comfortable retirement in the hereafter. It is obsessed with self. Religion is supposed to be about the loss of the ego, not about its eternal survival in optimum conditions. It can also feed an attitude of exclusivity. I sometimes think that if some Christians arrived in Heaven and found everybody there, they would be furious: Heaven wouldn't be Heaven if the elect are deprived of the Schadenfreude of peering over the celestial parapets to watch the excluded unfortunates roasting below.

Eschatology has produced some fearful visions in recent years.

But wait! Don't leave yet.....there's more!

NOT MANY of the world religions are as preoccupied with Heaven, Hell, and judgment as Christianity and Islam; these faiths absorbed much of the apocalyptic vision of Zoroastrianism, which was unique in the ancient world.

When asked whether a Buddha who had achieved the enlightenment of nirvana continued to exist after his death, the Buddha replied that this was an improper question, because we have no words to describe this state. It was, therefore, pointless to discuss it. It was far better to concentrate on this world. "Until you have learned to serve men, how can you serve spirits?" Confucius told his disciples, when they asked him how they should approach the gods and the ancestors, who were central to the ancient cult of China. "Until you know about the living, how can you learn about the dead?"

Just sayin'. That's what I've learned. Wrong? Possibly. Right? Possibly. BOTTOM LINE: I'm going to live for my life now, and be as good a person as possible.
edit on 9/18/13 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   

It doesn't matter.

If you believe in your hypothetical money god, then so be it. Who are we to say you can't. We don't have to prove he doesn't exist no more than you have to prove he does.

If I believe in a hypothetical god, then so be it. Who are you to say I can't. Just like those bible thumpers - don't force your crap way of thinking on me.

It is when you, or I, try to force others to believe is where the problem is.

How about this one - I believe that if you don't believe, you will go to hell. Does it matter? No, it doesn't.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 02:08 AM
link   

danielsil18
reply to post by Cuervo

If you want somebody to stop believing in theirs, prove it.

This is where you are being illogical.

I claim a god-eating monster exists... Now prove to me that the monster is not real... You never will.

And also, mostly Christians are the ones that ask the illogical question "prove god is not real".

You basically did it in your post.

If you claim a god-eating monster exists, you need to prove nothing to me because I believe that you believe it. Now if you wanted me to believe he exist, you would need to prove it to me.

If I said I don't believe in the god-eating monster, you need no proof to believe that I don't believe in him. Now if I wanted you to not believe, then I'd have to disprove it to you.

It goes both ways. An atheist and a believer will rarely get into a debate until one tries to insist to the other. That was what I was saying.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 07:07 AM
link   

AfterInfinity
Then go ahead and prove that God does not exist.

I can't because He does exist. Therefore, He is not a negative to prove.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

It goes both ways. An atheist and a believer will rarely get into a debate until one tries to insist to the other. That was what I was saying.

It makes sense what you are saying but... you are telling someone to be ignorant. Who will pass on their ignorance to their children, etc etc... then you have those children become politician and tying to instill their "unprovable, thus exist" god into rules and regulations.

If we want to go your way, the word god should not be discussed anywhere other than church or home. If we do, then we are accepting ignorance as a normal thing.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join