It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Season Premeire of Sons of Anarchy - School Shooting

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Ok before anyone jumps off on the title and thinks I'm here to rant about how the illuminati wants to pre condition us to become desensitized to school violence, let me stop you there. The reason for my post is to draw peoples attention to how Kurt Sutter portrayed the after math of the shooting that took place in the context of the show. Do you guys see any glaring differences between what was taking place in those scenes, and what we saw post Sandy Hook ? I understand the show is not real, but as the writer of the show Sutter wants to give the most genuine and honest portrayal of the event that he could, and I think that should be raising some eye brows, because the scenes I saw depicted first responders close to the crime scene, parents terrified with fear outside waiting for their kids to come out, I even saw one fireman/policeman sitting on the ground with his head in his hands in shock of what he saw, not to mention the tears, and the kids being rushed out of the school itself. Do you guys see how the true HOLLYWOOD version was more realistic, and more believable that what we actually watched take place with Sandy Hook. Something to think about.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Are you talking about last week's premier? I do not recall a school shooting incident. Are you referring to tonights episode?
ETA:
Oh it was last season's finale. I will have to rewatch it, my recollection is a bit fuzzy.
Found this though:

The horrifying scene is said to be the start of a story arch that demonstrates the impact of gun trafficking. In a recent YouTube video, “Sons of Anarchy” creator Kurt Sutter further justified the scene as part of the “bigger objective” of reinvigorating conversation about shootings like the one depicted.

“Sons of Anarchy” is not the first television show to grapple with the issue. Less than four months after the Sandy Hook massacre,

www.videtteonline.com...
edit on 17-9-2013 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Yah the show is ended with a blond haired kid going into his school with a Tec 9 and shooting his school mates.

reply to post by speculativeoptimist

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   
The writer wants to give us a scene that strike an emotional chord. Realism has nothing to do with it. This holds true most entertainment.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Wewillallbefree

Very glad I got rid of my TV many years ago. Geeez.....the crap that passes for entertainment these days!
Why do people feel the need to watch this crap when all one has to do is read up on the local news. [insert roll eyes emoticon here]
edit on 17-9-2013 by palmalBlue2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Your missing the point. There was more emotion displayed in that fictional example than the real life.

reply to post by MrSpad

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   
It's actually a very well written show, I don't think the writer was going for shock value.

reply to post by palmalBlue2

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   

palmalBlue2

Very glad I got rid of my TV many years ago. Geeez.....the crap that passes for entertainment these days!
Why do people feel the need to watch this crap when all one has to do is read up on the local news. [insert roll eyes emoticon here]

actually i think FX have the best TV dramas.
shows like The Bridge, Justified, American Horror Story, Sons of Anarchy, Archer ( man i love that one).

they also have some crap. but i want mention those.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   

MrSpad
The writer wants to give us a scene that strike an emotional chord. Realism has nothing to do with it. This holds true most entertainment.
So, seeing a child's life, heck multiple children's lives being snuffed out somehow is less of an emotional experience in real life vs that of viewing it on TV? Really?

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   
People in real life go into shock and automatic mode.

People on tv ACT.

Man... you know, I watched my dad die in front of my eyes. I didn't run around crying and screaming. I went into shock.

Hey, but maybe I'm a really bad actor...

Also, SoA would be a LOT more realistic if they didn't all ride girl bikes

edit on 17-9-2013 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   

This is not the first time fox did it

In 2001 the show the Lone Gunmen predicted 9/11 before it happened
edit on 17-9-2013 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Look,

I heard about the controversy over this scene weeks ago before watching it.

I honestly didn't see anything to terribly wrong with it. You don't "see" anything. You see a kid take out a gun, walk in a door. Next you hear a few screams and hear a few gunshots. You can't see anything through the school windows. The entire scene lasts *maybe* (at most) a minute. I think you hear 3-4 bursts of automatic gunfire and that is it.

Really, it's not that big of a deal -- and it highlights just how easy it might be for a kid to get his hands on an illegally procured weapon. I think it was intended to make a social statement. After all, SAMCRO is in the business of moving weapons from the IRA. (that will be discussed in the next episode).
edit on 17-9-2013 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Your missing what I'm saying, I not talking about the emotion I experienced as a result of watching it. I'm talking about the emotion that was displayed by the characters as a result of the writers attempt to paint a genuine picture, draw the parallels, it's pretty odd. reply to post by Bilk22

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   
you clearly didn't read what I wrote, or tried to grasp the context of my statement. Re read it.

MystikMushroom
Look,

I heard about the controversy over this scene weeks ago before watching it.

I honestly didn't see anything to terribly wrong with it. You don't "see" anything. You see a kid take out a gun, walk in a door. Next you hear a few screams and hear a few gunshots. You can't see anything through the school windows. The entire scene lasts *maybe* (at most) a minute. I think you hear 3-4 bursts of automatic gunfire and that is it.

Really, it's not that big of a deal -- and it highlights just how easy it might be for a kid to get his hands on an illegally procured weapon. I think it was intended to make a social statement. After all, SAMCRO is in the business of moving weapons from the IRA. (that will be discussed in the next episode).

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   
JESUS, I wasn't trying to draw this down to predictatory programming.

PLEASE READ the OP before responding.

starwarsisreal

This is not the first time fox did it

In 2001 the show the Lone Gunmen predicted 9/11 before it happened
edit on 17-9-2013 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   

I wasn't solely replying to your OP....

I was merely commenting on all the controversy I've been reading about in the blogopshere and news sites. I honestly didn't think it was in poor taste, rather I found it socially relevant.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Wewillallbefree
I understand the show is not real, but as the writer of the show Sutter wants to give the most genuine and honest portrayal of the event that he could

When I think of Kurt Sutter as a showrunner, the first thing I think is "genuine and honest portrayal." The second through tenth things I think of all involve his cuckolding/homoerotic powerplay obsession.* Also, it's pretty silly to say a TV show is more realistic than reality, simply because it accords with what your preconceptions of what reality should be like. Usually the evidence of real life events is given more weight than soap operas about bikers.

* In no particular order, Aceveda raped by criminal, Kurt's IRL wife raped by NeoNazis, Kurt's IRL wife has sex with Ron Perlman, Kurt's IRL wife has sex with Jimmy Smits, Kurt's IRL wife places man's hand on breast as icebreaker, Kurt strapped to an exam table masturbating, Kurt repeatedly raped by prisoners, Kurt beaten by retired US marshal, Tig drowns Albanian in a bathtub of urine, masturbator has fingers cut off, frequent shots of alpha male Jackson Teller's rear end (usually in intercourse), man drugged and posed with MTF transsexual, and various shirtless men suspended by their wrists and tortured. And, of course, lots of men in leather hugging things out. I suggest the only "genuine and honest portrayal" on Sons of Anarchy is the portrayal of Kurt Sutter's fantasy life.
edit on 17-9-2013 by FurvusRexCaeli because: Got my trans in the wrong direction. Filled with cisgender shame.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   

It's actually a very well written show, I don't think the writer was going for shock value.

You got to be joking, the whole premise of the show is SHOCK VALUE...Maybe you are already fully programmed and desensitized to even see that though...

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Oh then I would totally agree, I think it was well done, nothing tasteless or gruesome at all.

MystikMushroom

I wasn't solely replying to your OP....

I was merely commenting on all the controversy I've been reading about in the blogopshere and news sites. I honestly didn't think it was in poor taste, rather I found it socially relevant.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I wasn't asking for a psychological analysis of the entire show up until present

I was pointing out that in the show a very similar event to Sandy Hook took place, and when you compare it to the actual Sandy Hook event there is more emotion displayed by the actors in the scene when compared to what we saw outside the school house that tragic day.

Can we focus on that?

FurvusRexCaeli

Wewillallbefree
I understand the show is not real, but as the writer of the show Sutter wants to give the most genuine and honest portrayal of the event that he could

When I think of Kurt Sutter as a showrunner, the first thing I think is "genuine and honest portrayal." The second through tenth things I think of all involve his cuckolding/homoerotic powerplay obsession.* Also, it's pretty silly to say a TV show is more realistic than reality, simply because it accords with what your preconceptions of what reality should be like. Usually the evidence of real life events is given more weight than soap operas about bikers.

* In no particular order, Aceveda raped by criminal, Kurt's IRL wife raped by NeoNazis, Kurt's IRL wife has sex with Ron Perlman, Kurt's IRL wife has sex with Jimmy Smits, Kurt's IRL wife places man's hand on breast as icebreaker, Kurt strapped to an exam table masturbating, Kurt repeatedly raped by prisoners, Kurt beaten by retired US marshal, Tig drowns Albanian in a bathtub of urine, masturbator has fingers cut off, frequent shots of alpha male Jackson Teller's rear end (usually in intercourse), man drugged and posed with MTF transsexual, and various shirtless men suspended by their wrists and tortured. And, of course, lots of men in leather hugging things out. I suggest the only "genuine and honest portrayal" on Sons of Anarchy is the portrayal of Kurt Sutter's fantasy life.
edit on 17-9-2013 by FurvusRexCaeli because: Got my trans in the wrong direction. Filled with cisgender shame.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join