It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. 'Space Fence' Radar System Goes Silent, After 50 Years

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Sorry that I have no more information on this subject other than the article posted, but I would like to know more about this if there are members who would care to enlighten us with their thoughts. One of the comments at the end of the article, actually the very first one sent my blood pressure up.

The Space Fence is down. That's the message we get from the , following up on our report last month that the U.S. Air Force was poised to shut down the radar system that tracks thousands of objects orbiting Earth. It had been in operation since 1961. The Space Fence — also known by its formal name, the — consists of three transmitters and six receivers that stretch across the southern U.S., using radio waves to paint a picture of a slice of space. The items it detected ranged from satellites and debris to meteors.

I read a thread by Puterman this morning that I found concerning as well when he wrote about one of the HAARP devices being shut down as well.

So what do they know that we do not? And does this have to do with all of the lead up to the October 1st date which seems to keep surfacing touching on everything from the massive ammunition purchases and MREs, emergency supplies, Military being told to stay on base and FEMA Region III finalization for Flooding projections and how they will affect commerce and infrastructure?

Is this just another piece of an unfolding preparation process for some unknown future disaster or are we at the end of the wait?

www.npr.org...

www.r3coastal.com...

edit on 17-9-2013 by antar because: LInk

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   
As I recall it was a budget issue and after the Russian explosion maybe they realized they were wasting money. A few seconds warning isn't much use

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Considering the size of expenditures, I cannot attribute any of it to 'cuts'. Therefore, it must be deprecated due to a superseding system.

Also, it is an opportunity for a multitude of beneficial spins from sympathy to praise.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

they want to save all budget to force disaster.. for something big disturb their mind..they dont used the space fence for just temporary i think..

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
When a system goes silent.
Usually they have something in place that already surpasses it.

link   
As stated in the OP this first reply just struck me as being made by a person of solid character and intelligence.

While I think we should be maintaining this asset to protect ISS, our weather satellites and other publicly owned space platforms, it also seems to me that for only $14 million, private satellite operators ought to be ponying up to keep the system running. Losing just one communications satellite is certainly going to cost a lot more than $14million in lost telephone, TV, and internet traffic, not to mention the cost of the satellite itself.

Once again:
www.npr.org...

link   
reply to post by antar

Lovely. Just in time for ISON. Or... the 'small asteroid' due in tonight.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by new_here

Well feeling like I am the end of my rope as far as information collection, I have to agree with your post! Something has to give. I am not new to CT nor the information Hwy, but even I am now starting to get that feeling in my gut that it is about to show itself, whatever it is.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

I hope you are right, I had not thought along that line yet. So will it be replaced by the US black ops or another Country all together? What are your thoughts?

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
just add..this is disturbing my mind..
i saw some thread before, they hide nuclear weapon or head for unknown..why? the contractor shooting navy? they know something and get angry..better die..and the recent post tell many kids kidnap with arm men? where they go with that children?..but thus is just my curious..my brain spining..

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by cheesy

I did a FOIA document a while back called Spacecast 2020, it was truly magnificent and lead me to believe that above humanity, the continuity of commerce is their main goal, people will come and go but business is forever.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by cheesy

There are some really good threads on those same subjects, I am with you on a great concern. Live in harmony yourself, thats the best contribution you can give.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

just see the new thread above this thread..meteor see in cali..
more and more meteor strike..
this is geting real..the prepare for something..

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Free to listen Meteor Radio Echoes - The Air Force Space Surveillance Radar is scanning the skies above Texas.
Link Here

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

IMO like with most things the government does.
They've already spent 5 time the amount in some black project.

I think Zaphod did a post on this going silent already.
And in there he points out it's a redundant system if I remember correctly.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

I did the search engine but should have checked with Zap for sure now that you mention it.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by cheesy

Makes me wonder if we are in the path of something even bigger in the future, like these suddenly discovered meteors are at the front of a big asteroid belt headed for earth. At least it would be quick and painless.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by SoulRelliK

Euww, thanks for the link I saved it to my bookmarks, seems pretty cool. How often do you hear bloops or pings? Sometimes it kind of cuts out, is that anything?

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
The space fence reminds me of the DUGA3 over the horizon radar. Also know to HAM radio operators as the Russian Woodpecker. This radar array was so powerful it's noise could be picked up all over the world. One day it went silent and no one knows why. Pretty interesting when major projects like this just one day shut down with no reason given. Like someone mentioned before they already have a better system in place.

DUGA3 Wiki

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Space Fence was great for seeing stuff in close, but it couldn't even see Geosynchronous orbit distances. As far as asteroids and meteors go by the time it sees them you're already screwed.

The Air Force had to make some nasty choices this year. One of them was to keep their planes on the ground and the radar running, or lose the radar and get back to their primary mission of flying. They chose the latter and cut many programs along with this one.

Space Fence isn't the only system watching the skies, just the longest running. With all the telescopes and other systems in place it was a pretty safe cut to make.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join