It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Julia Child's French Onion Soup......mmmmmm

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I love French Onion soup and Julia Child's recipe is by far my favorite. I had some French bread from the local French bakery that I needed to use up and I had an entire bag of onions that I knew I'd never use completely before they started sprouting limbs. lol So I decided to make French Onion soup while Liam was sleeping.

It takes a few hours from start to finish but the results are sooo worth it. I didn't use little soup crocks, instead I used my soup tureen. I don't make soup all that much but when I do I like to use it.

Here is the recipe I used. I have both of her cook books and this one comes from "Mastering The Art Of French Cooking" (Part 1).

Authentic French Onion Soup Courtesy Of Julia Child

Here is my French Onion Soup

Here is the video of her making this on " The French Chef"

edit on 9/14/2013 by mblahnikluver because: grammar nazi myself

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Thanks for the post. I for one love french cooking, especially since I live in Southeast Louisiana, which then mixes everything else that is availble and in season. The only fancy cooking equipment that I have is a meat grinder to make minced ham and my trusty cast Iron skillet and my 15 gallon cast Iron pot ( for Jambalaya ). But I will watch the episode ( and keep in mind of how many times she screwed up that particular take) and do my best.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I love you

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

I'm partial to vadellia onions. I wonder if it would work with them?

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   

beezzer

I'm partial to vadellia onions. I wonder if it would work with them?

I'm not sure. I never use vidalia onions, they are much sweeter than yellow onions.

My go to onion is the yellow onion. I know many people who prefer vidalia onions raw not cooked. I'd say I'd try it with vidalia next time but I don't want it to turn out badly.

I don't see why you couldn't. If they are the ones you prefer taste wise then go for it. My husband said the same thing when I told him I made French Onion Soup. He likes vidalia onions but what he doesn't know is I never buy them and he has been eating yellow onions this whole time. Hehehe

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   

I love the contrast that sweet onions give. I put them on tacos etc and they are a great counter to hot and spicy foods.

I just didn't know if their somewhat delicate taste could travel well in something so rich like her soup (with the red wine and all).

*I'm not a "foodie" but I do know my way around a kitchen

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

You can use red or white wine. I used red wine because I didn't have any white wine.

Yea honestly I buy yellow onions because they are much cheaper lol I buy a bag every time. I tend to go through them fairly quickly but this bag was bigger than the usual one and I knew they sprout wing before I finished it off.

I did some googling and found where people used vidalia onions instead of yellow. I guess it is definitely a taste preference.

I also used Romano and Asiago cheeses instead of Swiss and Parmesan. I didn't have any swiss and I was low on fresh parmesan which for me is like a sin lol I am NEVER out of fresh bricks of parmesan! I went shopping the other day and forgot a few things because my son was starting to get fussy, feeding time, so I had to hurry up and leave. lol I forgot all my cheeses! I'll be headed back today.

new topics

top topics

join