It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. intercepts Iranian order for attack on U.S. interests in Iraq -report

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 11:28 PM
link   

(Reuters) - The United States has intercepted an order from an Iranian official instructing militants in Iraq to attack U.S. interests in Baghdad in the event the Obama administration launches a military strike in Syria, the Wall Street Journal reported on Thursday. The American embassy in Baghdad was a likely target, according to unnamed U.S. officials quoted by the newspaper. The Journal said the officials did not describe the range of potential targets indicated by the intelligence. In addition, the State Department issued a warning on Thursday telling U.S. citizens to avoid all but "essential" travel to Iraq. President Barack Obama has asked the U.S. Congress to back his plan for limited strikes in response to a chemical weapons attack on civilians that the United States blames on Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's forces. The Journal reported that the Iranian message was intercepted in recent days and came from the head of the Revolutionary Guards' Qods Force. The newspaper said the message went to Iranian-supported Shi'ite militia groups in Iraq.

www.reuters.com...

Well that puts a spin on things. Timing seems significant. Also it seems that everyone including the Iranians are being tracked on their interweb machines. NSA tracks all. I'm surprised that Americas enemies even have Iphones lol.
edit on 5-9-2013 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by canucks555

Right…

«according to unnamed U.S. officials” don’t know that I am going to laugh about it or laugh about it.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Not suprising nor unexpected. This is how Iran has always operated. They like to put a layer between themselves by using the groups they "support". I say support that way because while Iran plays lip service to their causes in the end Iran uses them to support its own interests. Iran has been doing this in Iraq since the war in the 80s, You can bet Iran groups near Isreal gotten the same sorts of orders. This is the only way Iran really has to operate without getting leveled. The problem with tactics like this is while they make headlines they have no effect on the over all scheme of things.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by MrSpad

what's good for the goose is good for the gander.
edit on 6-9-2013 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 12:03 AM
link   

This will be the perfect excuse for the Israelis to attack Iran.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by starwarsisreal

This will be the perfect excuse for the Israelis to attack Iran.
And if Assad in his death throws and nothing to lose launches chemicals at Israeli?Then I'd expect Israel nuke sent back.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 12:50 AM
link   
I remember when Reagan bombed Libya in 86. My step brother and I had plans to move up into the hills cause we thought it was the beginning of ww3. lol.
Though it was foolish, we were only kids.

this will be bigger than that of course, but I highly doubt it will go nuclear, let alone global.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrSpad
The problem with tactics like this is while they make headlines they have no effect on the over all scheme of things.

Ad to that the fact that we all know how much the US Government cares about their embassies and soldiers.
They are little more than expendable meat shields and cannon fodder in comparison to real reasons the US refuses to listen to diplomacy and is hell bent on waging war.

We've heard many theories of what those reasons may be, but I am sure we only those in the know are truly aware what they are.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowLink
Ad to that the fact that we all know how much the US Government cares about their embassies and soldiers.
They are little more than expendable meat shields and cannon fodder in comparison to real reasons the US refuses to listen to diplomacy and is hell bent on waging war.

We've heard many theories of what those reasons may be, but I am sure we only those in the know are truly aware what they are.

Kenny Rogers, as well as countless others, have said "you've got to know when to hold them, and know when to fold them". In other words, know which fights to fight and which to run from. Everything political and governmental is a gamble. It just hard, sometimes, to know and anticipate someone calling the bluff.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by abecedarian

It just hard, sometimes, to know and anticipate someone calling the bluff.

Not only is it hard to tell if it's a bluff or not, but given the US's history of using lies to gain support or justification to wage war (Every one they ever been in as far as I know) it's also hard to separate fact from fiction.
I suppose depending on the context, fiction and bluff could be the same thing, but whatever.

Also, with the root source of the information in the article remaining unnamed it doesn't do much to help make sense of it all either.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by starwarsisreal

I don't think that would be in Israel's best interest, since they occupy a relatively tiny geographic area, and possess large chemical industries.

"..... Israel owns vast industrial areas next to major residential areas. A worrying example is the Makhteshim plant near Beer Sheva, which produces methyl isocyanate. This extremely toxic substance is used in the production of pesticides. It became famous during the night of December 3, 1984, when it was spilled in the Bhopal installations of a company now owned by Dow Chemical. Defined as the worst industrial disaster in history, it caused the death of thousands, many more were crippled and the ground is still contaminated there. At any moment, there is more of this substance in Israel than there was in Bhopal. The Israeli capability to deal with such a disaster is nil, as it was recently admitted by the IDF..... Following a missile attack destroying several similar installations, the civilian infrastructure of the country would be lost."

www.roitov.com...

top topics

join