It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Toilet hacking concern. Is your toilet safe?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
You can hack my computer, phone, or car...but when you hack my commode, you've gone too far! All this electronic hacking leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

The rise of computerised toilets in Japan has sparked concerns by a US security company that the devices could be hacked by saboteurs who could make the commodes repeatedly flush or squirt water at the user.

www.abc.net.au...

I'm sorry I don't really have much to say. I think "smart" toilets are kind of silly to begin with. I just feel sorry for anyone who has an unfortunate run-in with a hacked bidet/toilet, although I don't think anyone would admit to such a travesty. It'll be the stuff of legends and urban folk tales!

You've been warned

edit on 31-8-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

*mental note*

Avoid electronic toilets if I see one...

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Haha I've heard people love the toilets..

As for me I like old school.. Maybe a heated seat could be nice, but that's about it.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Hahahahahaha omg!!! This is too funny!!!

On the other hand- criminals can't flush in privacy anymore? More importantly... My bathroom breaks aren't private anymore??? The things we do around a toilet is not sacred anymore!!! Where else can we go for a private chat, a quickie, oooooooo the cops are here... Flush flush!!! Is nothing sacred anymore?? I mean really!!!

To funny!

I guess its back to the oak tree... lol
edit on 31-8-2013 by tracehd1 because: S&F... Ty for the info!!!

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   
That is messed up!! Stay away from the electronic potty!! lmao

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by dustytoad

You want a heated toilet seat just swap the cold water and hot water hook-up around for the toilet..
I lived in a place like that, kept the seat nice and warm, and the floor at your feet warm too...lol

edit on 31-8-2013 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   

the devices could be hacked by saboteurs who could make the commodes repeatedly flush or squirt water at the user.

..the horror

edit on 31-8-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Darkblade71
reply to post by dustytoad

You want a heated toilet seat just swap the cold water and hot water hook-up around for the toilet..
I lived in a place like that, kept the seat nice and warm, and the floor at your feet...lol

Lol wow... Never crossed my mind haha.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Are these thing's hardened to EMP, having watched blazing saddles a few times I don't smoke on the loo but hey, anyway the manufacturers must be flushed with outrage at the ordasity of it all, Ok thought I was on a 'roll' there.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   
i was excited that i've nearly finnished my toilet training.
you have darkened my day.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Let me give you all a pro tip in case you ever use one of these. FIGURE OUT HOW TO MAKE THE SPRAY STOP BEFORE YOU PUSH THE BUTTON. Family member has one of these and I got stuck on the thing for a very long and uncomfortable minute while my nethers were repeatedly assaulted. On this model there is a 'STOP' button that is not at all obvious. I've used others that were easy to figure out, but this one had more buttons than the Starship Enterprise.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
Let me give you all a pro tip in case you ever use one of these. FIGURE OUT HOW TO MAKE THE SPRAY STOP BEFORE YOU PUSH THE BUTTON. Family member has one of these and I got stuck on the thing for a very long and uncomfortable minute while my nethers were repeatedly assaulted. On this model there is a 'STOP' button that is not at all obvious. I've used others that were easy to figure out, but this one had more buttons than the Starship Enterprise.

Water spraying on your butt seems like an odd idea to begin with. Either the water stream is too anemic to actually remove any "dirt" from your behind, or it is powerful enough to give you a spray clean, but then won't it spray bits of "dirt" all over the toilet and your behind? Think of what happens if you spray a patch of dirt on your driveway with a hose, it splatters all over the place.

Do they have these with strong UV lights? That would seem like a clever attachment, something that bathes your naked butt in strong UV light to kill off bacteria, but then maybe frequent poopers would have problems with butt skin cancer and/or an overly tanned backside.
edit on 31-8-2013 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   
My toilet is never safe, I treat that beast like a POW who suffers daily from my releases.......

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   
So is it a back door vulnerability?

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

Yep, it inserts a trojan LOL

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I can see the desire for an electric toilet butt,
why connect it to the internet.

Now if it had an anti constipation robotic arm, maybe, but seriously? Just use a baby wipe for the last wipe if you need to.

Do they blow dry too?

What else do they do? Car computers telling us how to dry, toilets telling us how to poop. Soon the wife will be out of a job!

P

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Aha, yes... I wrote an editorial about this a few weeks back and it's quite amusing to see people getting worked up over it. The flaw was minor but big enough to cause a concern, though the odds of anyone hacking into your toilet is so small that you could say almost impossible and that's assuming that you didn't update your toilet's firmware (or something like that). But not all toilet models have this, I mean the whole phone app thing is new so don't worry so much about this and it's not like they have embedded cameras by default (although you'd think otherwise if you've checked the Japanese spycams hahaha).

I personally don't really care so much. I mean, I'm used to using a pale of water and a scoop thingy to clean it off if there's no shower and electric toilets are just a glorification of this (not as sanitary as the shower head directly blasting on high pressure with scalding hot water thing). Jokes aside, it'll be a while before toilets become sentient and start dismembering people with the automatic tampon removal, which I may add is a real thing.

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 07:14 AM
link   
With any toilet there's always the danger that a feline in your house may decide to go for some entertainment. This guy couldn't understand why his water bill was so high until he stayed indoors and hid in the bathroom closet:

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 07:21 AM
link   
I think that our Japanese friends are going a bit too far when it comes to automation.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join