It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eric Holder Says DOJ Will Let Washington, Colorado Marijuana Laws Go Into Effect

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Eric Holder Says DOJ Will Let Washington, Colorado Marijuana Laws Go Into Effect

www.huffingtonpost.com

WASHINGTON -- The United States government took a historic step back from its long-running drug war on Thursday, when Attorney General Eric Holder informed the governors of Washington and Colorado that the Department of Justice would allow the states to create a regime that would regulate and implement the ballot initiatives that legalized the use of marijuana for adults.

A Justice Department official said that Holder told the governors in a joint phone call early Thursday afternoon that the department would take a "trust but verify approach" to the state laws. DOJ is reserving its right
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Well i think this is another step in the right direction. i'm sure they are searching for a way to test peoples level during traffic stops and more firearm regulations. It seems as though some ground work is being done for taxation. i think they should make farming hemp separate from all these regulations.

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   
If people where smart they would start researching Hemp production in those two states, could be a boom industry for both of them.

as for the rest, nice to see this administration honoring states rights on something for once...

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Who said researching it is limited to just those two states? Certain rabbits won't break any laws while those laws are in force. However..... Farmer Bunny could be a title I could warm up to. More than one modern day millionaire in California was nothing but a dreamer or poet before a certain law changed and they discovered a green thumb they didn't know they had.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I despise Holder but he and his DOJ went up 1 lil notch in my book today.

Now if only they would arrest Big Banks who launder money for terrorists & cartels.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Exactly! If only I could be a hemp farmer! It's so dumb that's it's illegal to grow in the US but perfectly legal to buy & import.

Soooo dumb!

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Well as a free citizen of WA state I've gotta say that's mighty big of him.

Now Eric, go find the rest of those guns you lost and quit bothering people.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
This is great news and a potential swing in the right direction. I only hope that they stay to their word and really back off. I wouldn't be surprised if they went back on what they said and started raiding places using bogus claims as justification.

Only time will tell.

DC

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by deadeyedick
It seems as though some ground work is being done for taxation.

Does it bother anyone else that something like this, can only be considered with some form of taxable attribute?

It sure bothers me. I guess i'm weird and out of touch.

I guess it wouldn't bother me so much IF they would use that tax to back off on some other tax somewhere else. Yeah... sure.

edit on 29-8-2013 by elcapitano75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

I'll bet millions of people have suddenly 'remembered' long lost relatives no one ...NO ONE...ever knew they had.

A few in Washington... a few in Colorado... You know. Any awkward moment is easily handled now. 'I was visiting family in Washington last week and..well.. ya know how it goes...'...

Of course.. that'll hold as much water as a pasta strainer for authority, so no one try that and say you heard it hear.
edit on 29-8-2013 by wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Washington state and Colorado had better get ready for a massive population influx! Ha!

Not for smoking the stuff (personal reasons), but I see no reason that others cannot enjoy. Especially good to see states' rights on the winning side, for once.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Good show, I think I just finalized the state I want to move from when I can finally get out of this tax to oblivion state I'm in now.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   

the distribution of marijuana to minors;
revenue from the sale of marijuana from going to criminal enterprises, gangs and cartels;
the diversion of marijuana from states where it is legal under state law in some form to other states;
state-authorized marijuana activity from being used as a cover or pretext for the trafficking of other illegal drugs or other illegal activity;
violence and the use of firearms in the cultivation and distribution of marijuana
drugged driving and the exacerbation of other adverse public health consequences associated with marijuana use;
growing of marijuana on public lands and the attendant public safety and environmental dangers posed by marijuana production on public lands;
preventing marijuana possession or use on federal property.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Unfortunately Washington has the fourth highest sales rate tax in the country....and a myriad of other tax laws that are really hard on small businesses. It is going to hit this business hard when it goes full swing in the next few months. Now that the DOJ has made it's decree and Washington and Colorado have their basic licensing laws set up things could be profitable or painful for the early investor.

It should also be noted that Colorado has one of the lowest tax rates, so if you are looking for profits then this might be the state to start up in.

Fortunately either way the land is cheap and if you are willing to do the work yourself you could start something, people will be looking for distributors. You would really need to know your product and you would need to choose an area whose climate benefited your operation instead of hindering it. (I would avoid most of Eastern Washington if i were you, winters can be brutal on this side of the mountains.)

Personally, i wouldn't mind opening a little hash bar in town...El Diablo de Verde.
(The Green Devil)

edit on 29-8-2013 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by wrabbit2000
reply to post by benrl

Who said researching it is limited to just those two states? Certain rabbits won't break any laws while those laws are in force. However..... Farmer Bunny could be a title I could warm up to. More than one modern day millionaire in California was nothing but a dreamer or poet before a certain law changed and they discovered a green thumb they didn't know they had.

Your talking to a gardening nerd, I have used and built large Aeroponics, Bubble Ponics, Aquaponic systems to grow in my garden...

Its amazing how tomatoes will grow with those systems, you get abundant yields like you never have seen, that knowledge has me looking at bare land across the river from here.

ETA: I need to find the pics I have from one of my old gardens, I had amazing Hydro Roses.
edit on 29-8-2013 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by elcapitano75

Exactly! The only reason they are making this decision, is because they are afraid they are going to miss out on big tax money. Taking this stance, they can put their hand out that much sooner!

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by chiefsmom
reply to post by elcapitano75

Exactly! The only reason they are making this decision, is because they are afraid they are going to miss out on big tax money. Taking this stance, they can put their hand out that much sooner!

Im willing to bet we could clear the deficit and drop income tax, if they mandated a Federal tax on it.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Possibly this Admin's greatest legacy.. less jail, less crime, a bit of freedom.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join