It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Life On Earth Started On Mars, Say Scientists

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Life may have started on Mars before arriving on Earth, a major scientific conference has heard.

An element believed to be crucial to the origin of life would only have been available on the surface of the Red Planet, it is claimed.

Geochemist Professor Steven Benner argues that the “seeds” of life probably arrived on Earth in meteorites blasted off Mars by impacts or volcanic eruptions.

As evidence he points to the oxidised mineral form of the element molybdenum, thought to be a catalyst that helped organic molecules develop into the first living structures.

“It’s only when molybdenum becomes highly oxidised that it is able to influence how early life formed,” said Prof Benner, from The Westheimer Institute for Science and Technology in the USA. “This form of molybdenum couldn’t have been available on Earth at the time life first began, because three billion years ago the surface of the Earth had very little oxygen, but Mars did.

Well I quite like that idea
Martian ancestry

Link
Link1
Link2
edit on 29-8-2013 by Lady_Tuatha because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

very good idea..but i think earth and mars are in the same age? sory if i am wrong just my though..

and if life start from mars then how can the lifeform survive from million mile non oxygen space to earth?

huuff make me wonder what make mars die..

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by cheesy

They are saying that 3 billion years ago the surface of the Earth had very little oxygen but Mars had plenty, and the 'seeds' of life probably arrived on Earth in meteorites blasted off Mars by impacts or volcanic eruptions.

Speaking at the Goldschmidt 2013 conference in Florence, Italy, he said: "It's lucky that we ended up here nevertheless, as certainly Earth has been the better of the two planets for sustaining life.
"If our hypothetical Martian ancestors had remained on Mars, there might not have been a story to tell."
Prof Benner said the element molybdenum was thought to be a catalyst that helped organic molecules develop into the first living things.
"This form of molybdenum couldn't have been available on Earth at the time life first began, because three billion years ago the surface of the Earth had very little oxygen, but Mars did.
"It's yet another piece of evidence which makes it more likely life came to Earth on a Martian meteorite, rather than starting on this planet."
He added: "Analysis of a Martian meteorite recently showed that there was boron on Mars; we now believe that the oxidised form of molybdenum was there too."

Pretty awesome!

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 03:58 AM
link   

woo so our anchestor is super! from cathastropic volcano eruption to million mile empty space then end up with super hot and powerfull blast when arrive to earth..make a new super live and powerfull journey to earth until now! GREAT!

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 04:02 AM
link   

They are saying that 3 billion years ago the surface of the Earth had very little oxygen but Mars had plenty, and the 'seeds' of life probably arrived on Earth in meteorites blasted off Mars by impacts or volcanic eruptions.

I was under the assumption that oxygen based life couldn't survive in outer space. And that whatever life landed here had to be non-oxygen based, but evolved INTO an oxygen based lifeform. I dunno.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

As evidence he points to the oxidised mineral form of the element molybdenum, thought to be a catalyst that helped organic molecules develop into the first living structures

He is saying that this form of molybdenum couldn’t have been available on Earth at the time life first began.
'Boron' has been found in Martian meteorite samples and Prof Benner says molybdenum would have been on Mars too, so i'd say it made the trip. I'm by no means an expert in this area so I dont know the ins and outs but im guessing this guy knows his stuff and wouldnt make a stink about this if it wasn't credible. I will delve a bit more into it

I just love this idea!

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Hmmm it could well be that "life" evolved to the point of RNA on Mars but was then transported to Earth by meteorites etc where it then "evolved" into DNA in a more friendly environment.

Astounding whatever the case and reading the article
www.bbc.co.uk...

"Simply adding energy such as heat or light to the more basic organic molecules in the "soup" does not generate RNA. Instead, it generates tar.

RNA needs to be coaxed into shape by "templating" atoms at the crystalline surfaces of minerals."

The idea that "RNA needs to be coaxed into shape by templating atoms from a crystaline surface" is completely novel to me and is very interesting given all the furore around lattices and crystaline structures in a super symetery and/or quantum context.
edit on 29-8-2013 by Jukiodone because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
ah I just found a 2 page thread on this Here

Dont know how I didnt see it, according to the times it was posted hours before this one.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   

He is saying that this form of molybdenum couldn’t have been available on Earth at the time life first began. 'Boron' has been found in Martian meteorite samples and Prof Benner says molybdenum would have been on Mars too, so i'd say it made the trip. I'm by no means an expert in this area so I dont know the ins and outs but im guessing this guy knows his stuff and wouldnt make a stink about this if it wasn't credible. I will delve a bit more into it . I just love this idea!

If it's the truth then I accept it, but I don't love the idea. I want microscopic life to come from meteors that have traveled the galaxy, or from other galaxies. I want life to be so prevalent that a planet would be rare to NOT have life. Ah well.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

That would be a nice idea also

but hey, i'll settle for being from Mars lol

new topics

top topics

join