It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Post Apocalypse - what could you *not* live without?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   
In all honesty, there's really nothing I can't live without, except for air, water and food. And even if that's not available, I'll go peacefully before I hurt another human being for those things.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   
All 3 branches of our current government............ wait.... yes I can, yes I can. Now that's hope and change.

But for real, my ATS

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by TXTriker

Originally posted by SweetKarma
reply to post by TXTriker

You made me chuckle here...Poison Ivy and Oak are very easy to spot. Leaves in groupings of 3...and very shiny
. If you KNOW you have made contact with it, you can use other things to remove the oils, but you need to do so quickly.

Backpackers often use smooth small rocks as tp in the high country. Some swear by the practice. Think for a minute...most people don't know how to bury TP, leaving traces of it- and themselves in the area. If you are trying to avoid others, TP would be an easy way to spot you. Just offering an opinion. I've heard of pine cones being used also, but just remember, they only go "one way".

It was strictly meant for a chuckle. Hope newbies in the woods don't need an arrow painted on the pine cone.

I do know what the Poison ones look like. Got into it numerous times as a kid. Once I couldn't even wear shoes for a couple weeks. Seems to affect me a little more severely every time.

My childhood best friend got poison ivy in her nether regions when we were kids due to squatting down in the wrong place....lol.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I hate to be indelicate but ummmmmm feminine hygiene products.
I know
Ewwww right? Sorry fellas.
Seriously though. I can shave with a good sharp knife and pluck my eyebrows with needle nose pliers if I had to, but pleeeeaaaase don't take my tampons!

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neysa
I know
Seriously though. I can shave with a good sharp knife and pluck my eyebrows with needle nose pliers if I had to, but pleeeeaaaase don't take my tampons!

We have a winner!!
If momma aint happy, aint nobody happy!
Lol

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Hoosierdaddy71

Wise words my friend.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   
To be honest, I'm kind of going through this list just as a "wishlist" of things to stockpile.

I've ensured these are on my prep shopping list...

Coffee beans
Toilet Paper
Paper Towels
Feminine Hygiene Products (I live with 3 women)
Toiletries (Q-tips, shampoos, conditioners, cleaners, razors, toothbrushes, toothpaste, etc.)
Chocolate
Cigarettes
Booze

edit on 13-8-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   

I wouldn't recommend skipping doses or not taking it at all. I read somewhere during my research that skipping doses can detrimental to the body for up to 6 weeks after the fact. And going completely without treatment will cause weight gain, hair loss, mental health issues, and possibly organ failure over time.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Malynn

I wouldn't recommend skipping doses or not taking it at all. I read somewhere during my research that skipping doses can detrimental to the body for up to 6 weeks after the fact. And going completely without treatment will cause weight gain, hair loss, mental health issues, and possibly organ failure over time.

I also read that you can go into a coma but, if you don't have it or in this SHTF situation can't get it you would have to go without. I've searched but haven't found anything natural that can substitute.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   

My childhood best friend got poison ivy in her nether regions when we were kids due to squatting down in the wrong place....lol.

Ouch - haven't done that yet. Almost always on my feet because I never wore shoes.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neysa
I know

Thank God that is one thing I no longer have to worry about.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   

You mean there is a light at the end of the tunnel?

YAY!!
I hope the poop doesn't hit the fan before I'm there, sister. lolz

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   

I heard you can get something from pigs that would suffice, but I would have no idea how or how to administer it lol

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Malynn

I heard you can get something from pigs that would suffice, but I would have no idea how or how to administer it lol

I'll have to see if I can find it. We butchered hogs when I was a kid.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by CIAGypsy

food, shelter, and cigarettes!

love em!

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by brandiwine14
Oh yes Q-Tips for sure

My list.

Listerine...i'd be almost certifiable without it
Dental floss
Dentists
Q-tips
Humor.... I fear this would be obsolete after an apocalypse type event

edit on 11-8-2013 by brandiwine14 because: (no reason given)

you like fluoride that much?
sorry..
for me,. rum

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 02:57 AM
link   
I would mostly miss toothpaste. It sure is going to suck when people can still look plenty hot, but have HOT breath too

The following food stuffs can be stored indefinitely in sealed containers without spoilage (we are talking decades man)

*Salt -- Too obvious and overabundant in today society. But surprisingly scarce without a mechanized society. just keep it dry and it really does not even need to be sealed.

*Sugar - keep it in an airtight waterproof container. As long as it is dry it will not spoil. Bus will become attracted to the smell however. I recommend keeping in airtight container raised off the floor, with a barrier of salt and/or cedar blocks. Can store barrels of the stuff for years. Brown, or white cane sugar, none of that fake synthetic stuff.

*Honey - Pure honest to god honey, none of that fake ass corn based syrup bull#. It may crystalize, but can be brought back into a consumable and delicious state by heating. Same storage rules as honey apply.

*Rice - white rice not brown. years and years man. Keep it super dry. bugs will not be as much a problem as rodents.

A regular sized American backyard of about 500 sq ft can grow enough beans on intervaled harvests to supplement the diet of a family of four. Plant a fruit tree for whatever suits your climate, multiple different ones if possible. In only a few years time you can have a yield of free food. These fruit trees can also attract animals that can be trapped for their meat and furs. Coons, possums, squirrel, armadillo. Rabbit are really easy to raise alongside chickens by the dozen on the same plot from just the grass and bugs. vary your meat and get eggs as well.

Bye bye beef though unless you own a ranch

Hog might could be raised but you would need a lot more land than a regular sized backyard. Maybe the neighbors could agree to plot locations to arrange for a much larger plot to be shared by the community for raising livestock.
I have also taken an interest in cheese making and believe a goat would be more suitable than cow for the dairy, especially since it is easier to keep in a regular sized yard with chickens and rabbit. Would need to barrier the beans though. Allow the kids to take turns travelling with the goats throughout the green space off site so it can graze and keep it locked in at night when they come back.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
This thread will be discussed tonight at 10pm Est tonight on Reality Remix.

Join ATS Members SheepSlayer247, Adjensen, NoRegretsEver, Druid42 & Beezer for two hours of their take on threads past and present right here on ATS!

Reality Remix

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Okay, so if I were in a situation where I can survive long term with no worries about food, shelter, protection etc. (because I'd have already prepped for it) then the things I'd miss the most would be:

* For as long as I'm not sterilized (could happen, since my mother had to for medical issues) I'd definitely miss my monthly supply of pads/tampons
* Sodas, I'm fine with drinking just water, but once in a while it's nice to sip from a coke or an ice tea.
* Toilet paper, IF I end up stuck in an urban setting. Once I'm in the woods I'd be able to find natural TP.
* Spices, I'd pack some of course but eventually I'll run out and then I'm really going to miss it.
* Medicine, yes you can find natural alternatives, but sometimes those aren't as effective.
* Pets, I'd keep my dogs, but once they die it'd be hard to find new ones.

The things I'd miss but could live without:
* The internet, though I am of the belief that once I go cold turkey I would be able to cope.
* Books, paper and pen: Too heavy to carry it with you, though maybe I'd be able to stockpile some (note)books at some locations (not many people are interested in books after an apocalypse, aside from using it as TP or fire material)
* Radio, the chance of a radio station working permanently after an apocalypse is rare. So I'd probably miss the music, I could make my own music but I'm a lousy singer.

That's all I can think of for the moment. All the rest I'd have with me already but those things are finite and won't be found easily during and after the apocalypse.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by littled16

That was my answer too...

COFFEE!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join