It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Post Apocalypse - what could you *not* live without?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   
All of my Dead Can Dance, Opeth and Pink Floyd CDs\Records\songs and something to play them on.
Copies of The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings and the Silmarillion.
Toothpaste and utensils for prior dental hygiene.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Some great responses! I have also thought about cheese because it is a regular part of my diet... I eat lots of real cheese (colby jack, cheddar, parmesan, etc).

Toilet paper was a good one too! God knows I wouldn't want to be the person whose job it is to wash the laundry if there is none... OK, I'd miss laundry soap too....

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   
My guitar....I might be alive but it wouldn't be living.
edit on 11-8-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
At the risk of making you all gag, I couldn't live without my darlin'. Everything else is replaceable.

Oh wait.........

Guitar strings -- one of the few "necessities" I could not fabricate or otherwise substitute for. I could live without them, but I wouldn't like it.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   
My seizure medication, above all else. Next would be ibuprofen, and if probable, the AC and heating.

Oh man, exercises like these really bring home the reality of just how much I take for granted from day to day. We really do live better then the royalty of the past.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by paradisepurple
I've actually thought about this properly... Would it be freshly-ground coffee, cosmetics, cigarettes, alcohol...

But the answer is - cheese! I would truly miss cheese more than anything else.... I'd stockpile it and even when it inevitably becomes mouldy I'd still eat it and pretend it's Stilton

You can make fresh cheese but coffee is only grown in specific parts of the world. Chocolate too.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   
What could I not live without?

Water, Shelter, food & Air

What things would I miss?

Iced tea & Mt. Dew

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Hi there.

I think my list would be endless... But to some up the basics, most items that require electricity. And let's think, even gor preppers who have a suitcase generator/solar power option etc.. There's no point having a TV if nothing is being sent to you. There may be the odd radio station which will work though. But I really think their sustainability will be limited as there will likely be higher prioritys than broadcasting.

Most of lifes modern luxuries that we take for granted will be hit.

Fresh food.

I'll miss Chicken.. and BBQ sauce.

I'll miss going out to town, getting drunk and throwing shapes on the dance floor.

Unless someone makes the Thunderdome reality... (There's an idea for a job after its hit the fan)

Also football (Soccer). As pointless as it sounds, Swansea are a premiership team now and currently playing in Europe for the first time in 22years.. so it would be great to see how thay goes and how long we stay in the top league.

eee.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by CIAGypsy
Some great responses! I have also thought about cheese because it is a regular part of my diet... I eat lots of real cheese (colby jack, cheddar, parmesan, etc).

Toilet paper was a good one too! God knows I wouldn't want to be the person whose job it is to wash the laundry if there is none... OK, I'd miss laundry soap too....

I wouldn't want to the person that picked the wrong handful of leaves to use either

You can make soap pretty easy. Calamine lotion would be a different story.
edit on 8/11/2013 by TXTriker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   
wouldnt miss a thing .. as live more like my ancestors did in the 16th century than like people in the 21st century .. manage fine without all the "conveniences / distractions" of modern life. Prefer to keep life simple

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Gas for the car.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Single Malt Scotch

Bacon

Life without those two pleasures is a life not worth living.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I don't favour the idea of going around looking like Sasquatch... so I'd have to say a razor and a pair of tweezers.

Natural beauty is a myth.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Cigarettes and Mountain Dew.

Everything else is pure luxury for me... even toilet paper. But those two things I use to keep my nice non-homicidal mental outlook. Without them, I would probably become pretty feral pretty quickly. Heaven help anyone hoarding tobacco if I find out about it.

Next in line (and pretty far down actually): TV and Internet. That's a decent trade-off though, because any people who want to tell me how to live my life can be put down in a SHTF situation.

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012
reply to post by littled16

I heard an acceptable substitute is dandelion root? I have never tried it though.

Chicory is more common coffee substitute:

Link

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   
My wife is number (1)...sounds corny but without her my life is incomplete...I know she would never give up looking for me and neither would I give up on finding her; it is a pact or point of honor between us....After the food, water, and bullets everything else is secondary.....I hope we are both dead for many years before a true SHTF happens...We like our life to much to go and have to live in SHTF...But if it happens we will do what we have to do or at least I hope so....

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by CIAGypsy

I could not live without the following:

Alcohol (Beer,Wine, Liquor)

Cigarettes

Lip Stick/ Make-up

Salt/Pepper

Sugar

Right now you are asking, WTF?. Yes, I cannot live without these without these for bartering purposes. For survival purposes, I am fully trained to acquire what I need. But the above, is what people will immediately miss. Hence, I can trade some cigs for ammo. Women are really going to miss their lip gloss and makeup. I know this from another website.
Eating pigeon/dog/squirrels/insects is going to get really boring without spices.
The current population will still need their sugar fix.
So I need these to survive in order to become the go-to man for bartering for other resources.

Good luck during the apocalypse,

~ Kratos

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   
The NFL!

Beer, pizza & wings and watching football on Sunday with my friends!!!!

I would survive but I would always miss football.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Ice cold coca cola...but Nuka Cola would suffice. I'd just need to make it ice cold some how.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Well, without make-up, I don't think I would need as many Q-Tips, but yes, that would be a major one.

I would miss exotic fruit, especially. And cheese.

Running water and sanitation would be huge for me.

And pens and paper. So useful. I can't imagine having to rely on charcoal or drawing the alphabet in sand. Or carving rocks..

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join