It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elderly Veteran (95 years old) Killed By Cops After Refusing Medical Treatment

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I hope this is the right place to put this. I came across this and was honestly outraged by what I read.

According to the Chicago Tribune, nursing home staff said Wrana was being “combative” as he resisted involuntary medical treatment. Apparently, he was so opposed to receiving the care that he was threatening to harm employees with his cane and shoehorn. A police press release states that the elderly man went so far as to pick up a large knife as well.

While this is obviously not a good question and the man needed to be restrained, since he picked up what was probably a steak knife or something, I don't think this was the answer to the problem.

Eventually police were called and showed up on the scene to try and calm the old man down. After repeated attempts to calm Wrana down failed, officers used a Taser on him. They then proceeded to shoot him with bean bags.

It was then that Wrana fell on the ground. He was taken to the hospital almost immediately, where he died the next morning. His death was a direct result of the police abuse. Specifically, he died from the bean bags that were shot at him from a 12-gauge shotgun.

On top of all of this it is not even for sure the man had any knife!

For one, witnesses who were present during the incident did not see Wrana holding a knife at anytime, despite the police press release stating the fact. Secondly, the old man was sitting in a chair during the entire incident. It is hard to believe that seasoned police officers would not be able to handle an elderly man who used a walker.

This IMO is totally unacceptable and I hope the outrage over this spreads. Can you say police state? You can read the full story here

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
The U.S police are brutal my solution would have been to go in with riot shields and pin him then remove the knife.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by SupersonicSerpent

Once the police came on the scene, staff members were not allowed in the room with Wrana any longer. Several employees asked to try and calm Wrana down again, but were refused. Grapas said, “At some point, I’m told there were between five and seven police officers, they went back to the room with a riot shield in hand, entered the door and shot him with a shotgun that contained bean-bag rounds.”

a riot shield was brought in, but that's about it.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Well what were you expecting them to do? Risk getting a paper-cut or possibly bruised by an elderly man? Clearly ending his life was the more reasonable approach.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by solongandgoodnight

yes the bean bags deal a right punch they are designed to knock a body builder down so imagine what they did to a frail old man.

one of them could have just squashed him up against a wall well the other gets the knife.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by SupersonicSerpent
yes the bean bags deal a right punch they are designed to knock a body builder down so imagine what they did to a frail old man.

Wrana was struck with such force that he bled to death internally, according to the Cook County medical examiner.

Originally posted by SupersonicSerpent
one of them could have just squashed him up against a wall well the other gets the knife.

Except that no knife appears to exist. None of the staff, nor his family ever saw any knife in his room, and there are no stories from staff that any knife was removed afterward.

This is the most bizarre thing I've read today. Totally gobsmacked. Up to 7 police with riot shield, tazer and bean bag shotgun vs. a 95 year old sitting in a chair.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   

I appreciate your efforts in creating this thread...however there is already a thread on this topic...best regards...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

Thanks. I did do a search but of course nothing came up. I've had this happen a couple of other times. I don't know if I'm not using the search function properly or it's just not very good.

Oh I almost forgot to add this ........
edit on 7-8-2013 by solongandgoodnight because: .....

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by solongandgoodnight

Oh I almost forgot to add this .......

What did you forget to add? Now you have me curious!...

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Since the police had him isolated, why not wait until he tired out. I doubt the man had the will to go on for an extended period of time. Too many questions and not enough answers.

Peace

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea

I appreciate your efforts in creating this thread...however there is already a thread on this topic...best regards...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

for future reference:

We Have A New Search Engine--Please Use It!

top topics

join