It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Exclusive: 911 Calls Released FOIA - Michael Hastings Death Examined

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   
911 callers and new video confirm large explosions

New information has been released in the examination of Michael Hastings
car accident and his death by San Diego 6 News.

Transcripts of 911 calls were released to San Diego 6 from the LAPD by way
of FOI with the assistance of Judicial Watch.

The record of 7 seperate callers made by witnesses confirm there were large explosions.
(The account of the transcripts is in the article)

In a new surveillance video from a nearby business posted by LA Weekly
shows multiple explosions consuming his 2013 Mercedes Benz.
The intensity of the fire suggests an accelerant may have been involved
since gasoline only burns at 530 to 550 degrees °F.

A flash of light appearing at the 13-14 second mark, the headlights on at 14 seconds,
all lights are out at the 16-second mark. The car then turns left and the first horizontal
explosion at 16-second mark; the left front tire is ejected across the road 40-50 feet.

A new surveillance video from a nearby business obtained by San Diego 6 News and
posted by LA Weekly graphically shows multiple explosions consuming his 2013 Mercedes Benz.

The surveillance video captures the final moments of Hastings life and provides intriguing details of the "crash.” The video shows a flash of light appearing at the 13-14 second mark, the headlights are on at 14 seconds, but all lights are extinguished at the 16-second mark. The car then turns left and the first horizontal explosion appears just after the 16-second mark (it ejects the left front tire across northbound highland approximately 40-50 feet). The second explosion engulfs the engine compartment at the 17-second mark. The third and largest explosion consumes the passenger compartment at the 17-18-second mark.

Inexplicably, the palm tree Hastings’ car hit has scorched bark and slightly wounded base --approximately 16"W x 4.5" H x 1"D-- seemingly minimal damage for a 3,538 pound car striking the tree at a reportedly 100 mph. Also pictures taken by San Diego 6 News show the curb has a small scratch, but no major chipping or fractures and the rear tires resting against the curb.

www.youtube.com...

The LAPD indicates that a Federal Investigation may be under way.
And, in light of that, an FOIA will be served, this is a long list.

Dont miss the end of the article!

To find-out who is investigating and why, this week Judicial Watch will serve additional FOIAs against the DOJ (AKA Eric Holders’ war on journalists), Department of Homeland Security’s HSI, the Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA), the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), the National Security Agency (NSA), the Director of National Intelligence (DNI), the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), the Secretary of the Department of Defense (DoD), and the Secretary of the Department of the Army (due to unchallenged threats made directly to Mr. Hastings).

www.sandiego6.com...

Stay Tuned

These are some of the major threads with the account of this story:
I tried to get them all - feel free to add if I missed any.

Journalist Michael Hastings dies in L.A. car crash Single car crash??

$100,000 Michael Hastings National Security Reporting Fellowship - A Reward To Uncover Foul Play?

Email from Michael Hastings before crash mentions FBI probe ("Big Story"-"Going off the Radar"

Darpa Computer Geek Talks About Hacking Cars

Michael Hastings Ashes Sent Home For Burial

Michael Hastings: New Surveillance Video Shows Fiery Crash

Michael Hastings contacted WikiLeaks lawyer Jennifer Robinson just a few hours before he died

Channel 6 Investigative Reporter On Michael Hastings. Police and Fire told NOT to comment
edit on 5-8-2013 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   
The truth always does come out. And I will be sitting here with my smile on my face waiting for it. Yeah he was running scared, and for just cause. But I would be putting more energy into why he was running. Aka what evidence did he have? And this my friends will lead right back to the murderer.

I would imagine that the multiple blasts were to not just destroy him, but the evidence also. But I don't feel the evidence was in the car. I also feel that it will be found. Or perhaps it was never lost?

Looks like we will be having yet another scandal. And this one will tear the house of cards down.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by elouina
Yeah he was running scared, and for just cause.

Indeed, someone got to him.

Looks like we will be having yet another scandal.

Yes, that is quite the list there for that FOIA. Did they
leave anyone out?

It will be interesting to see what Judicial Watch obtains, or ....
likely what is refused to be released

edit on 5-8-2013 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Good, maybe something will turn up.

We may never know the whole truth but at least we know it wasn't just an accident.
Sounds like they have a homicide case on their hands.

What evidence he had, we may never know.
I would love to know what it was.
Had to be something juicy and scandalous for him to be silenced.

edit on 5-8-2013 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I Love to see people Pursuing this with Intensity. Knowing it hasn't been Forgotten is Uplifting. Please Google.. Restore the Fourth or 1984 day. It is a Grass Roots Movement Fighting the NSA Survalience and the Violations of Every Americans Right to Privacy, and Unwarranted Intrusion every time we Log on to our Computers. We had our First protest in NYC and many other Major cities on Aug 4th. We are gaining Steam and some say the Movement can't be stopped. Even thou MSM only link an Article each to the Protest. It shows they are preparing in case it becomes to Big to Avoid or Suppress. This way they can show they didn't Ignore it.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   

But, the FBI Los Angeles-based spokesperson, Laura Eimiller, atypically emailed media emphatically denying the agency was looking into Mr. Hastings background.

emphatically denying

Well that right there is an obvious and typical frost faced response !!

I speculate that the 'language' of the email came directly from Watchington, I mean Washington.

With some prior leaks and possibilities, I say somebody from the White House secret committee of cover-up procedures is busy trying to make sure this doesn't trail back to the Administration.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

It sure does not appear to be an accident, I was really curious
about the intensity level of the fire....and the suggestion
of an accelerant that may have been involved.

Does anyone know what happened to the BMW?
I would imagine it could be tested?
Has the vehicle been impounded?

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen
somebody from the White House secret committee of cover-up procedures is busy trying to make sure this doesn't trail back ....

Yes,

Now.... Judicial Watch, how do they manage to stay safe these days?

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships

somebody from the White House secret committee of cover-up procedures is busy trying to make sure this doesn't trail back ....

Yes,

Now.... Judicial Watch, how do they manage to stay safe these days?

Hmmm ... good question.

They seem to be very careful and seem to 'spread' the evidence around better circles.

They have a lot of exposure.

I could see some of their 'protective' measures including 'insurance dockets'. Like having unknown 3rd parties holding information that would be released in the event of something happening to any members of their staff. I bet for all they expose to the public, there's dozens of 'sealed and secured' files that could be damning to predators.

They may also have some built-in insulation from their funders.

There are people who are stronger than the government shills and the shadows.

but then again, nobody is immune to maniacs with an agenda.

Funding

Between 1997 and 2002 Judicial Watch received $7,069,500 (unadjusted for inflation) in 19 grants from a handful of foundations. The bulk of this funding came from just three foundations – the Sarah Scaife Foundation, The Carthage Foundation, both managed by Richard Mellon Scaife, and the John M. Olin Foundation, Inc.,[citation needed] which folded in 2005.[38] As of 2010, Scaife remains the group's main contributor.[7]
judicial Watch

our friend Dr. Rachel Jeantel would say "they old school"

edit on Aug-05-2013 by xuenchen because:

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   

...New information has been released in the examination of Michael Hastings
car accident and his death by San Diego 6 News.
...In a new surveillance video from a nearby business posted by LA Weekly
shows multiple explosions consuming his 2013 Mercedes Benz.
...The intensity of the fire suggests an accelerant may have been involved
since gasoline only burns at 530 to 550 degrees °F.
...A flash of light appearing at the 13-14 second mark, the headlights on at 14 seconds,
all lights are out at the 16-second mark. The car then turns left and the first horizontal
explosion at 16-second mark; the left front tire is ejected across the road 40-50 feet.

A new surveillance video from a nearby business obtained by San Diego 6 News...graphically shows multiple explosions consuming his 2013 Mercedes Benz.
...The video shows a flash of light appearing at the 13-14 second mark, the headlights are on at 14 seconds, but all lights are extinguished at the 16-second mark. The car then turns left and the first horizontal explosion appears just after the 16-second mark (it ejects the left front tire across northbound highland approximately 40-50 feet). The second explosion engulfs the engine compartment at the 17-second mark. The third and largest explosion consumes the passenger compartment at the 17-18-second mark.

Thanks for keeping an eye out…
This video is not new. It has been (and is still being) discussed for the last week or more.

At the 13-14 second mark…the car is not in the footage…yet.
The “flash of light” is actually the car approaching, after having encountered a pedestrian cross-walk dip on the north side of Melrose Pl., a significant “rise” at the center of Melrose’, and another pedestrian cross-walk dip on the south side of Melrose Place (though, the car may not have touched the south-side pedestrian cross-walk, having bottomed-out on the Melrose “rise”).
There are skid marks, just in front of the restaurant (Pizzeria Mozza) front door, where the security camera was positioned.
While it is possible that the “flash” of light at the 16-second mark is an explosion, I can’t make that leap.
The car had just hit a metal utility cover for a u-shaped water pipe…and the rear-end had started rising prior to the 16-second mark. Likewise, prior to the 16-second mark (perhaps 1 frame before), it is obvious that a large object has started sailing in flight in a southeasterly direction…accompanied by a cloud of “something”. The “object” might be the metal utility cover…or…there is a possibility that it is the engine/tranny.
Should you care to see 30 screen-shots from about the 13 second mark to the start of the explosion (at the palm tree)…or care to consider any of the extensive discussion that has already transpired on this topic…you can find them here and here.

It would be nice if Judicial Watch could make any progress on their FOIAs.

By the way – I don’t think the driver’s front tire was found on the north-bound side of North Highland…but rather, it is visible in the LoudLabs video on the sidewalk on the south-bound side.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   

I could see some of their 'protective' measures including 'insurance dockets'. Like having unknown 3rd parties holding information that would be released in the event of something happening to any members of their staff. I bet for all they expose to the public, there's dozens of 'sealed and secured' files that could be damning to predators.

Good insights! That does stand to reason, since they take everyone to task
there must be safegaurds, especially these days.

Old school indeed!

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   

reply to post by snarky412

...Does anyone know what happened to the BMW?
I would imagine it could be tested?
Has the vehicle been impounded?

It was a Mercedes.
It was initially impounded by "Hollywood Tow"...and kept away from public scrutiny.
Don't know if it was subsequently impounded to a "law enforcement" facility...or what.
Mercedes had supposedly said that they were interested in "being involved"...but had not been contacted.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by WanDash

It was initially impounded by "Hollywood Tow"...and kept away from public scrutiny.
Don't know if it was subsequently impounded to a "law enforcement" facility...or what.
Mercedes had supposedly said that they were interested in "being involved"...but had not been contacted.

That is what is really curious, if his family had the car they could easily have
the residue tested for traces of accelerant.

Another thing, I dont imagine speed bumps would cause this explosion.
nor dips or manhole covers. These cars are designed for impact.
This is not a hyundai.

The voice recordings of the 911 calls have not been released, so are left to
go with transcripts for now.....it seems there were witnesses that saw the
car explode.

Also, no skid marks up to the tree, tree shows minimal impact.
Sure seems like the car was pretty much done by the time it landed.
As in exploded.

And, what about his ashes being returned to the family, when it was not
their wish, or his for cremation?
edit on 6-8-2013 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 12:11 AM
link   

...That is what is really curious, if his family had the car they could easily have
the residue tested for traces of accelerant.
...Another thing, I dont imagine speed bumps would cause this explosion.
...The voice recordings of the 911 calls have not been released, so are left to
go with transcripts for now.....it seems there were witnesses that saw the
car explode.
...Also, no skid marks up to the tree, tree shows minimal impact.
Sure seems like the car was pretty much done by the time it landed.
...And, what about his ashes being returned to the family, when it was not
their wish, or his for cremation?

First - it was not impounded at the request of the family. It was impounded at the request of law enforcement (as - the occupant was not identified 'til later).
The car went through what any car would, when travelling at high speed, and bottoming-out (on Melrose)...which is - leave the ground, and when coming back down, skidding and swerving...while the driver (evidently) tries to regain control.
The car is continuing to swerve/jerk through the first few frames after coming into the video footage. Then, the left front tire mounts the median curb, then another tire and another...until all four tires are on the median turf, just before encountering the metal utility cover.
You are correct - no skid marks up to the tree.
The video came from a writer - Michael Krikorian...though it did not belong to him. It belonged to the Pizzeria Mozza...which belongs to his girlfriend. He showed the video to police officers the morning of June 19th...and turned it over to the authorities...but not until he'd (or someone had) copied the portion we are seeing with an iPhone (or - smart phone).
Not only did he view it and review it...but he showed it to a number of other "professionals" of one sort or another...including an award-winning special effects guy.
His conclusion was that the car exploded immediately upon impact with the palm tree.
I have arrived at a differing conclusion...being that 2/8th of a second lapsed between impact and the first flash of the explosion.
2/8th of a second would seem "immediate" however, under normal circumstances.
As to the family not wishing that his remains be cremated... It seems that there is some controversy over that "fact". Almost immediately after it was first broadcast...the...broadcaster recanted...but...no-body cared by then - 'cause it added more drama.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by WanDash

Hmmm....so, still many are certain of foul play.
Well....I dont blame anyone for recanting. Until they
have some degree of protection.

IMO, no way was this an accident.
The location of the vehicle is one key.

My apologies for missing your thread,
Just wanted to get the 911 transcripts into the board,
and did not find a current discussion.

edit on 6-8-2013 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 12:30 AM
link   

reply to post by WanDash

...Hmmm....so, still many are certain of foul play.
Well....I dont blame anyone for recanting. Until they
have some degree of protection.

IMO, no way was this an accident.
The location of the vehicle is one key.

I can understand you (myself, anyone) strongly leaning toward foul play.
There is a distinct strangeness to so many of the details.

If, when you say "the location of the vehicle is one key"...you are referring to its angle to the street...what I believe happened (and is almost, though not entirely, provable by the video) is - shortly after the lights went out - it hit the tree... The rear end came off the ground, slamming the top (roof) of the car into the tree...and this is evident for two frames (screen-shots)... The car did not hit the tree dead-center (imo), but rather hit it in favor of the driver's side...and...with less resistance on the passenger's side, the car swung around to the angle it settled in, prior to slamming back to earth.

The gentleman who recanted, did so (apparently) at the request of the family...as, he was "a friend" who was probably speaking more on his own behalf, than for the family.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by WanDash

Ah, yes understandable about the family freind.

As to the mercedes, I am referring to the physical location
of the car now. I have not investigated that, it was impounded
then it seems it could stay impounded if there is an ongoing
Federal investigation. Otherwise, seems it would be released
to the family.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 12:45 AM
link   

reply to post by WanDash

...As to the mercedes, I am referring to the physical location
of the car now. I have not investigated that, it was impounded
then it seems it could stay impounded if there is an ongoing
Federal investigation. Otherwise, seems it would be released
to the family.

Last week, there was news of an MIT student (don't recall if he was a doctoral candidate or simply a "graduate student") who had joined up with a reporter for Al Jazeera to file a lawsuit against the FBI, NSA, etc...on grounds of their FOIA request regarding Michael Hastings being ignored (or - not attended to). They have asked for summary judgment.
Gotta wonder - If the FBI's statement that "Michael Hastings was not under investigation" was true...why not answer the request...?
I think his family is all located in the northeast. He only moved to the west coast within the last 6 (or so) months, to open the L.A. office of BuzzFeed.
I am not certain, but other discussion/s and conversations seem to suggest that, even his wife might still be living in New York (City?).

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 04:06 AM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Thanks for linking to the major Michael Hastings threads in your OP. Here is a new one about a big story he was working on about CIA chief John Brennan. His wife Elise Jordan yesterday on CNN announced that it will actually be puplished in about two weeks!

Rolling Stone To Publish Michael Hastings' Profile Of CIA Director John Brennan

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by MindBodySpiritComplex

Awesome thread there, that one is explosive.
I read it and S&F, I have been intererested in that aspect
for some time, since Brennan was radicalized.

I will try and pop into the thread, one thing to look
up concerning that aspect is the arc of instability.

www.alternet.org...'s_arc_of_instability%3A_destabilizing_the_world_one_region_at_a_time

In my opinion, this is what we are seeing, and its possible
very possible that Hastings had some information that would
blow this thing open.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join