It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DARPA Computer Geek Talks About Hacking Cars

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   

DARPA Computer Geek Talks About Hacking Cars

www.infowars.com

In the video below, Dr. Kathleen Fisher, a DARPA program manager, talks about the ability to hack into car computer systems. She explains how it is possible to remotely control modern cars through Bluetooth and smart phone technology.

www.youtube.com...
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.youtube.com
www.youtube.com
NYDailyNews

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Journalist Michael Hastings dies in L.A. car crash (Single car crash??)
edit on 23-6-2013 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   
From time to time we read of mysterious car crashes,
some involving prominent people in the spotlight
of a controversy, a conspiracy or a tangled spy web.

We ask...is it possible for a car to be controlled
by means unavailble to the the driver?

Here you have it, in very detailed and professional
form, from non other than DARPA. In modern cars steering,
braking, and engine performance rely on software and complex
electronic systems that can be remotely controlled by blootooth,
cell phone, even the stereo system.

From time to time, Infowars does post some useful
information.

In the case of Michael Hastings the prominent journalist that recently
died while involved in a single car crash, his vehicle was caught by a dash cam;
at high speed moments before the crash. He had just informed his
confidants he was going under the radar.

Coincidence?

Of course, we can not say for certain that men in black would do such a
thing, say...to a journalist under surveillance by the FBI, or a leading rifle
manufacturer, however at least this should answer the question of 'is it possible?'.

www.infowars.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 23-6-2013 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Luckily there still aren't any cars that I know of that use 'Brake By Wire' so it is always possible to slam on the anchors.

And something that really ticks me off is how journalists, with their tiny little minds and deeply ingrained inferiority complex, call anyone who works in science and technology 'geeks'.

While science and technology has a negative image in the West we will continue to fall behind the rest of the World.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Hasting had a pretty modern car with a lot of computer systems... Now we know THEY CAN r/c your car, watch out whistleblowers..

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by starfoxxx

Indeed, there is no shortage of available ways to get to someone,
if they are creating a problem.

The part obout the wireless hacking of an insulin pump was eye opening.

Of course, that is assuming there is any such thing as TPTB,
and their men in black.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by EasyPleaseMe

Luckily there still aren't any cars that I know of that use 'Brake By Wire' so it is always possible to slam on the anchors.

That you know of....

“We typically think of it as most involved with our infotainment systems, but software is really involved in engine performance, brakes, everything. And anything with software is potentially vulnerable. It's hard to say what can be done to prevent it.”
www.nydailynews.com...

Your probably safe there in your cubicle.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
That's why we don't own any new cars and never will. Well that and the fact that I'm not paying 20 or 30 thousands dollars for a new truck that is less dependable than my 1983 1 1/4 ton Chevy Diesel or my 1989 F150. We do have a Dodge Caravan but it's a 1996 and while it does have a computer it is just a basic ECM that controls engine timing and emissions settings. No way to hack anything on it without physically connecting to it with an OBD cable, even then it would just make it not run.

The sad thing about all of this is that we are readily and willingly succumbing to their designs by thinking we NEED all of this technology. Truth is we don't and most people would find that they would be much happier without most of it, not to mention safer and have more privacy.

As Thoreau once said, "As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.".

TPTB use the increase in technology to deceive us into thinking we need all this and it is all done so that they can further exert their control over us. When we learn that we do not need it, throw it off, and go back to a simpler way of life they will loose much of their control and we as a society will be much better off.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Yes I was took quick with my thinking. Whilst there aren't any brake by wire cars in production, the ABS controller could be reprogrammed to keep the pressure reduction valves open and the stability control could be programmed to suddenly brake one side of the car at high speed.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Some cars have parking assist where the rear wheels turn and some have back up sensors that can stop you. It would be possible to sabotage a vehicle through internet.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Nucleardiver

With you on that, thinking that the simple life is the way to freedom.
Certainly, there is much tech that is nothing but a vortex of complications...
most of us dont have to worry about being spied on through the dishwasher,
however its probably a good idea to be very aware of the tech we do use
every day and know its limitations.

Till the thought police come along....

Oh. wait.....

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   
That is why I have a 1984 F-150. It has a carburetor and electronic ignition. I do have a points distributor for it, in my garage. My driver is an 88 Mustang GT. Its fuel injected but I have a carb, intake and a point distributor for it also.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Found the two videos of Hastings car moments before the crash;
one of the car racing in Los Angeles, and then
moments later the crash with the car on fire.

www.youtube.com

Car racing by, then the journalist filming drives up to the crash site.

Video of Hastings car on fire (conveniently slammed into a tree) flaming
hot then explodes.

www.youtube.com

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Since they can hack your car and R/C it, they for sure could denotate a bomb.. I hope they checked the scene for any C4, or plastic explosives...

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   
LOOK at the GOOGLE CARS, that drive themselves..

I bet some of you CANT WAIT to get in one can you:??

REMEMBER HASTING!

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Nucleardiver

You've said all that needs to be said.
Starred my friend.

With all this technology and our thinking it's necessary, it will surely be our own demise. Just by allowing ourselves to cave-in to the mindset that we "need" this.

We don't need their training.
We need to start standing up for each other and protecting ourselves.
We need to stop feeding the machine so they don't have the funds to develop such control. It goes well beyond that and it's been going on since the start of this once great nation.
We need to take the power back.

Is that too much to ask?

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   
It's just another computer with wireless technology that's usually turned on.

Easy for the average hacker.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Makes you wonder about a guy driving into a tree and bursting into flames .

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   
For years I have had lots of contempt for those that want the best technology in everything and who unknowingly force their bs ways on everyone who does not want it. I resent refrigerators, dishwashers, coffee makers, laundry machines that have lots of electronic gismos, not even knowing at the time that they can be hacked and cause problems.

It seems hastings car was hacked and that in turn got him killed. There are too many coincidences for me to believe otherwise.

Nice find op!!!! Star and flag for sure. Infowars is a good source, much more reliable than big corporate media. Don't let the shills tell you otherwise.

In the old days they would plant a bomb in your car and when you turned the ignition key the car would explode. Or they would cut your brake line and you would crash somewhere. Now a days they simply hack your computer chips. Its getting mighty, mighty scary AND annoying!

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   
When I heard about Hastings,. and what he was driving,. a remotely controlled Benz was my
second thought,. the first was,. how the hell does a HIGH end Benz burst into flames.

One has to install a manual electronic safety disconnect into the wiring. so you can at least
have the controls back,. Or a jammer that blocks the signal to your car,.

When GM came out with On Star the public that it was great,.If you locked your keys
in the car, just call them,. and THEY could unlock your car electronically, or shut off
the engine,. and if you have park assist, hmmm drive your car.

Or Fords Sync,. easily hackable also,.

Doesnt Mazda have something now also,. Sky something??

good luck

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by EasyPleaseMe

thats not true.

look under your hood at the abs system, there is a big black box on most master cylinders.

here check out this

ABS Brakes and the Facts

the anti lock system has it's own ebcmm, and i'm willing to bet that in most cases it ties in to the ecm of most cars.
i have yet to find any thing that says that. but if a insurance company can put a monitor that tells them, how many times that you slamed on the brakes, some is reading something somewhere.
edit on 23-6-2013 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join