It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Children given lifelong ban on talking about fracking.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
This is so bizarre to me. They were ages 7 and 10 and their parents were involved in a lawsuit because an oil company polluted their residence. With the settlement, the whole family had to agree to never talking about this oil company endeavor... including their minor children.

www.theguardian.com...

Of course I know gag orders happen all the time in cases of lawsuits, but this one is just stupid.

Like "DON'T LET THE BIG SECRET OUT... oil is a pollutant...shhhhhh"

Doesn't this seem pretty desperate on behalf of the oil industry?

So did this happen or is this just fluff? It seems I have read things about the guardian on here.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by NotAnAspie

Sounds like a case where outsiders ought to find out everything this family knows and more ..without even talking to them to put them at risk with their agreement....and insure every last detail is public on every medium available.

I really hate secrecy when there is no life/death or absolute essential need for it. This is just about money and image. Free Speech ...until given an offer you just cannot refuse.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   
That happens often with lawsuits like that. I don't think that that practice should be legal. If they say something, they have to pay back the lawsuit money most times because they violated the contract. Deceit should not be allowed to be covered up using the law, that is in direct violation of what laws are supposed to be about.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Not legally binding, and if you know children, it will get out. Psst...... I got a big secret..

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   

As the children are below legal age of consent they cannot be bound to the terms of the settlement contract. However the parents will not be able to consent to the children speaking to any media outlets to get around the agreement. If the kids tell someone (a teacher, neighbor, etc.) and they give the story to someone from the media it would have to be treated as hearsay, but the family would not be held legally liable for it unless they officially confirm the story.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I hope those kids know how to use youtube

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Pennsylvania has a seven year limit on such types of court imposed sanctions and contracts under consumer laws.

For example, in PA, you can advertise a "Life time guarantee" on a product, but the guarantee is only good for a maximum of 7 years.

However, I am not sure if this type of binding agreement could fall under this.

new topics

top topics

join