It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crop Circles: What's the Conesensus These Days - Real or Hoax?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I've been out of the loop on most things alien for a while now, but last I heard I thought crop circles were considered a hoax. Seemed like two guys came out and demonstrated how they made them and even claimed responsibility for a few.

I do seem to remember reading in Jim Marrs book, that perhaps these two were disinformation agents. Marrs is okay, but i always take what he says with a grain of salt.

Anyhow, now that I'm getting back into things I keep hearing about crop circles and the way folks are talking about it seems they feel the majority of them are indeed of unknown origin and not a hoax.

With the sheer number of them and the complexity of the designs and given we never catch anybody in the act, I always suspicious of the story that they were man-made in the way that was demonstrated by those two guys.

What's the general consensus these days? Any good websites or books to learn more that folks can recommend?

Thanks!

edit on 4-8-2013 by EthanT because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by EthanT

Personally, I don't actually have a conclusive opinion about it one way or the other, but..........

One thing I have thought about is how they continue becoming more and more elaborately complex designs. Many people often use that particular detail while claiming that Humans wouldn't even be able to create those more intricate designs.

Part of me thinks the exact opposite of that↑. Years ago, they pretty much sucked, if comparing them to the Crop Circles of today. 'Sucking at it' is a characteristic for Humans. As with almost anything, the more times you do it, the better your skills will become.

But does that also apply to a supposedly far more advanced species? I've never heard anyone claim to have seen Aliens walking around in a field late a night creating a Crop Circle.

I believe that I am correct when I say that it is generally agreed upon by most believers, that the Aliens are not manually creating Crop Circles, and that they must have been created by some sort of Superior Out-Of-This-World Technology.

So with that enormous amount intellect and know-how, why the hell did it take them so many dam years before they finally started getting good at it?

Just a thought............

edit on 8/4/13 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by EthanT

Real or Hoax?

Crop Circles are real but they are made by people , the only hoax involved is by people that try to pass them off as signs from Aliens .

www.circlemakers.org...

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles

Part of me thinks the exact opposite of that↑. Years ago, they pretty much sucked, if comparing them to the Crop Circles of today. 'Sucking at it' is a characteristic for Humans. As with almost anything, the more times you do it, the better your skills will become.

I agree, and thought pretty much the same thing. The hoaxers just got better.

But, I guess the counter-argument that has come up in my mind against that one is the amount of extra time (skills, or no skills) it would take to create the more elaborate circles, would make it also more likely these guys would get caught before finishing.

Have we ever caught a crop-circle hoaxer in the act? Are their crop-circles that were discovered before completion?

Also, haven't some of these complex designs appeared overnight? Seems unlikely by a couple of guys with those little boards they showed they used to flatten the crops with their feet basically.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Jenny Randles says that the original crop circles go back to the 19th century.
wiki.answers.com...
edit on 4-8-2013 by EnPassant because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Consensus? People cannot even agree on the sky being blue.

Yes, some hoaxers were able to produce primitive crop circles and fool some people.

Again, it's one of those cases where people make up their mind first, then find evidence to support their foregone conclusion.

So-called legitimate crop circles have been found to show the effects of microwave radiation.
The grain showed distinct physical changes. Moreover there are what they call a "combing effect" where
stalks are interleaved at the edges, woven in a pattern that cannot be duplicated using the board employed by
hoaxers. A team of college science students were able to make a real-appearing crop circle using microwaves and a large team of hoaxers,
but the effort showed it would take a large team of very sophisticated people with million dollar equipment,
and about 6 hours to produce.
Further, no footsteps leading to or from the patterns, although they may be accessed
by the tractor paths.

My personal opinion: Real. MHO.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   

A Gigantic Human Butterfly Crop Circle formation (530 Meters x 450 Meters), the Biggest Crop Circle Ever ... appeared in Netherlands near a town in southern Holland called 'Goes', on the 7th of August 2009 (7,8,9 ... Activation Sequence Initiated ...

Interesting Source

Butterfly Nebula ------>

My opinion: "
" Not sure...

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Crop circles in Wiltshire are well down on previous years.

www.bbc.co.uk...

A decline in the man-made act and a late harvest have both been blamed.

Nothing about the lack of alien visitation also having an impact though

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Hi, in my opinion i believe that all crop circles are brilliantly designed and created very cleverly by man, there is just no evidence to even suggest that aliens are responsible for these amazing works of art, but there is tonnes of evidence proving they are man-made, i think man can take full credit for all of these projects, i think the men that were doing it must have come out after years of creating these crop circles because they eventually wanted/needed recognition for there work, and probably saw all the amazing comments everywhere across the web saying it must be aliens and such, i wonder what the men who created these are doing now?, maybe there absents would explain why we don't see these things much anymore?

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Some are real, some are man-made. The consensus is that if anyone thinks differently, they need their heads examined.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
The thing people tend forget about crop circles is something simple. In the beginning, they were all "real" and it was almost a decade and on the other side of the world that, those loveable rogues from Wiltshire thought it would be a great hoot to start faking them. What's more, there did seem to be a direct correlation between UFO reports and the appearance of crop circles. You can muddy the waters as much as you like, be the perfect revisionist about the whole phenomenon however, those are the known facts as to its' beginnings in modern culture.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Crop circles started out as crude circles in fields. Two 70 year olds went public stating that they made them over the course of a night on several occasions. This is believable as FireMoon mentioned above.

Over some time, the circles have become more and more complex. Its my opinion, the circles are being created by a very organized group or groups of individuals that are becoming better at their trade as time goes on. I have never seen an image of a partially done formation so they are apparently created in one outing or are not reported until the formation has been fully rendered. In my opinion, they are not of ET origin.

The mechanism used in reporting them is suspect, to me.
edit on 4-8-2013 by eManym because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by eManym

Sorry, however you're factually incorrect on just about every count. Australian Saucer "nest"

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   
How do you know the farmer wasn't lying and made the circle himself like the two 70 year old guys did recently? UFO reporting was a hot item back in the 50's and 60's.

Also, at the end of the article it was mentioned that the farmer had a UFO detector that was triggered. This indicates he was a UFO enthusiast at the time which gives me every reason to believe his story was fabricated.

What was his motive? Probably to sell UFO detectors.
edit on 4-8-2013 by eManym because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Ok, let's say that was a fake of some sort, although no-one has ever managed to find any evidence he was lying...

1930s English "Crop Circle" with photograph

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Good find but why aren't there old photos or reports of the very complex formations we see today?

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   
There are reports of much larger formations although, not in the sort of patterns today's makers prefer rather just a series of different similar sized circles close to each other. From the same site...

19th Century circles

Note, there's no reason to suppose there isn't a perfectly natural explanation for their formation however, to deny there is a history of UFO sightings attached to their appearance would be to leave out evidence simply because one's prejudices doesn't wish it to be so.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by EthanT

What's the general consensus these days? Any good websites or books to learn more that folks can recommend?

I find this topic intrigueing too, amongst other things, and what I came across lately certainly is interesting in relation to crop circles, here is a link www.youtube.com... its not great quality but nevertheless gives you something new on crop circles...
I don't think someone made this and then left these valuable items behind... take a look its not a long clip approx 5 n half mins..... credit to kingufokid who posted it (I think) anyway its not my clip I just came across it...

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   
If they are majority fake - more people should be prosecuted. Yes it's a nice art but no-one should get away with thousands of pounds worth of damage to anyone's property.

It makes me wonder why more effort isn't done to 'keep an eye' on farms in Wiltshire for eg. You'd think that losing thirty grand worth of crop a year was worth installing a CCTV camera/night trap camera for. Wouldn't you?

There seems to be too little justice either way for what I would deem as a normal response. If a house gets burgled, you tend to call the police, there's a follow up and such and such. Some farmers are angry, obviously, and some are more liberal about it - and let people visit the site for a small donation (thank you, I've enjoyed visiting crop circles!), yet over ALL the years of them occuring some in exactly the same field year after year... Why aren't people getting busted and why aren't we seeing IR CCTV footage of these sites? It's 2013! Big brother 'n all
It leads me to think the farmers "know and accept" what it is and so do the police, gov etc. MOD shut down their UFO unit during the amazing stint of crop circles in 2009. I think they were telling our gov it's going to be sussed soon.

It got me thinking a couple of weeks ago, why ISN'T there a task force set out to bust these people? On the flip side, where are the dedicated people proving it is down to a phenomena causing them? Again an imbalance, because I know the latter does happen on a small scale, and possibly the first does too under some "farmers legion", or maybe not, maybe they really don't care. And maybe people really don't care about investigating crop circles for themselves enough either.

I'd like to start doing night watches at some of the familiar sites in the UK, and capture one culprit either way. I've almost finalized a funding strategy to do this across hotspots in Wiltshire, but it'll take the people to come out and man the IR equipment. And this plan has been in effect since about 2009, a couple of years after watching cropcircleconnector over the summer months.

And because of that - I notice this year a) An hourglass CC speculated as "time is running out". Some interpreted that as something about Earth for me it meant they know I want to catch them and I better hurry up about it
and b) The large array of "off-shore" crop circles this year, many not from the UK whereas the last several years it's been totally predominant (with great designs) in the UK. So if you're trying to confuse me aliens! I still know exactly where I'm going to set up the equipment so you gotta do better than that!

Anyway nice thread. S&F. For me, it's still very much un-answered, despite the years, technology and manpower available to suss it - we still can't, properly. And I assure you if it's a bunch of artists/drunks doing it - they only exist in Wiltshire, or travel from far away to come and do it, because normal people don't. At least, no-one I've met. Ever. They have bills, children and debt to worry about, rather than some brief fame in a local town newsletter (and perhaps ccc.com, if it's not too bland
)

My honest opinion - I'm 70/30 to it being a phenomena and not people (The bigger, more complex cirlces that is). That's my personal view at this stage. Also that the UK circles this year were not as interesting (mind blowing designs) as the last few years but I really doubt that's of importance if I'm right on that 70%
But it's those mind-blowing circles that really give it credence. I mean people literally have 4-5 hours max in the middle of a UK summer to not be caught by farmers or police. I imagine them turning up and leaving in some kind of Ocean's 11 fashion.
edit on 4-8-2013 by markymint because: spelling

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   
As with other fields of the paranormal, crop circles are nothing new. They have been appearing for centuries and just may be linked to other cairns and circles so popular in the UK past. There is a long
history of "fairae rings" and legends such as Sleepy Hollow. This brings to mind the insightful work of
Jacques Vallee in Passport to Magonia, in which he establishes the many links to folklore and
legend.

Meanwhile there DOES seem to be verifiable physical evidence in the form of stems that are bent
but not broken, damaged nodes in the grain that appear to suffer from microwave radiation, and
changes in the ability of seeds to propagate.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join