It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Firefox plug-in warns users of NSA surveillance

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Who knows how effective it is. I would like to know what the developer used as a criteria to determine which sites would cause the program to give off the alarm.
For that matter, he may be on the NSA payroll and it may be a counter-surveillance tool

I wont be finding out though, Firefox was ruined a long time ago and I stopped using it.

Justin Blinder released a plugin for the Web browser Firefox this week, and he’s already seeing a positive response in the press if not just based off of the idea alone. His “The Dark Side of the Prism” browser extension alerts Web surfers of possible surveillance by starting up a different song from Pink Floyd’s 1973 classic “The Dark Side of the Moon” each time a questionable site is crossed.

Blinder told the Guardian that he built the program over the course of four hours with the hopes he could "create some sort of ambient notification that you are on a site that is being surveiled by the NSA." "I was really interested in the fact that, although the PRISM leaks were a shock to many of us, we pretty much already kind of know we're being surveiled a lot of the time and giving away so much data," he said.

link

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Easiest app ever:
:every page.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

According to this thread www.abovetopsecret.com...
ATS doesnt score a hit.

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sharingan
Blinder told the Guardian that he built the program over the course of four hours ...

FOUR HOURS?!?!?

No wonder its garbage.
He probably just made up a list of sites that he thought off the top of his head were probably watched, and used that.
I dont think there's any real analysis or criteria being used for this plugin.

edit on 3-8-2013 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   

reply to post by boncho

According to this thread www.abovetopsecret.com...
ATS doesnt score a hit.

My X-Ray glasses from the back of a Superman comic didn't allow me to see through my teacher's dress in school either, but hey, who knows...

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Whatever dude, I really dont care since I dont even use that crap browser. I just pointed out that you were wrong when you said "every site" gives off an alarm.
Seriously go be a smartass somewhere else

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

He probably just made up a list of sites that he thought off the top of his head were probably watched, and used that

Exactly, you get what you pay for. how much was this mod?

V

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   

reply to post by boncho

Whatever dude, I really dont care since I dont even use that crap browser. I just pointed out that you were wrong when you said "every site" gives off an alarm.
Seriously go be a smartass somewhere else

It was tongue in cheek, as in, "Every site is being monitored by the NSA"

Thought someone as intellectual as yourself would have picked up on that.

new topics

top topics

join