It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radiation-Tainted 'Fountain of Youth' in Florida Could Prolong Life

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Some Florida residents say that a radioactive spring could be the legendary fountain of youth.

In Punta Gorda, residents have celebrated a rejuvenative fountain for more than 100 years. At the peak of the fountain's hype, people would journey to the town and wait in line to fill up their own plastic jugs.

Water from the spring registered at 9.2 picocuries of radium-226 isotope per liter during tests in 1983, exceeding the recommended limit of 5 picocuries per liter. It also has high levels of magnesium, clocking in at 46 parts per million of the mineral.

Efforts have been undertaken to shut down the high-radium fountain. The environmental movement, which led to the 1974 passage of the Clean Water Act, threatened the fountain's existance. But when the City Council considered making changes to the well or plugging it up, locals fought back.
www.accuweather.com...

While I find this very interesting the article does not say if there is any medical evidence of any health benefits.

Is anyone from that area that can shed some light on to the mysteries of this fountain ?.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I'm looking for what evidence there is of it being capable of prolonging life and found these articles on the subject:

news.nationalgeographic.com...
www.npr.org...

Only scientific remarks in any of those would be the EPA study on the radium levels and Szabo's, which also notes the levels of magnesium, its health effects and that it's a "quantifiable risk". So, there you go.
edit on 30/7/13 by WhiteAlice because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Just goes to show people will believe anything , especially if they are being told it will make them live longer.

Those people will probably end up with serious illnesses .

Has florida got i high death rate for cancer ?

edit on 30-7-2013 by AthiestJesus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Radioactive isotopes are all natural

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Rather than concentrating on finding a fountain of youth, maybe Floridians and the rest of the world in general, should consider taking a few sips of COMMON SENSE. Other than in Marvel Comics, radioactive ANYTHING is not good for the common person.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I did the tour in Chernobyl a year or so ago.. the tour guide explained to us that the senior pensioners who lived in the area would often comment that when living inside the exclusion zone they felt better. Their arthritis was less serve and they felt more alert and active, opposed to when they left the zone to visit family or go shopping.

I suppose the point is that radiation does stimulate life, cells and remedy aches and ailments. Will their lives be prolonged? time will tell.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by the owlbear
Rather than concentrating on finding a fountain of youth, maybe Floridians and the rest of the world in general, should consider taking a few sips of COMMON SENSE. Other than in Marvel Comics, radioactive ANYTHING is not good for the common person.
You might want to look at some of the research done by Art Kunkin.

***Personal Note***

For who don't know who this is outside of the LA Freepress, he is a lecturer on Alchemic research and has purposed (with evidence to back this up) that non-ionizing radiation can help extend life. He has an e-book that talks about this (I have an early copy of it, but can't seem to find much more then a few references to it on his site)

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Guyfriday

You might want to look at some of the research done by Art Kunkin.

***Personal Note***

For who don't know who this is outside of the LA Freepress, he is a lecturer on Alchemic research and has purposed (with evidence to back this up) that non-ionizing radiation can help extend life. He has an e-book that talks about this (I have an early copy of it, but can't seem to find much more then a few references to it on his site)

UVA and UVB RADIATION...XRAYS...COSMIC RAYS...

Sorry...I don't have super strength and everyone that I have met that was downwind from above ground testing back in the day has died of some form of cancer...not buying it...

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by the owlbear

Dose. A poison is measured by dose. It's called hormesis. The body overcompensates to the stressor provided by very, very minute increases in radiation.

It intuitively makes good sense.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by QuantriQueptidez

Dose. A poison is measured by dose. It's called hormesis. The body overcompensates to the stressor provided by very, very minute increases in radiation.

How much "good sense" does a dose of plutonium give the human body? Or, any other radioactive element once introduced into the cellular structure?

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Those are ionizing radiation.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by QuantriQueptidez

How much "good sense" does a dose of plutonium give the human body? Or, any other radioactive element once introduced into the cellular structure?

I'm not the one trying to sell the absurd idea that "radiation is good for you". Now, you are nitpicking? People used to love to see how their shoes fit using xrays...that turned out well. The human body does not rid itself of certain radioactive elements...ever. Now, we have Fukishima poisoning an entire hemisphere' s worth of food supply. If you are so keen on the health benefits...go bathe in the leakage...and get back to me in three months.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   

I'm not the one trying to sell the absurd idea that "radiation is good for you".

Neither am I. The statement that it's "good" or "bad" is ridiculous. The thinking is too static to have any truth.

The human body does not rid itself of certain radioactive elements...ever.

Here's the deal. The human body has a capacity to rid itself of toxins, regardless of the element. More than half a dose of radioactivity up to a point will be initially excreted in the feces and urine within a couple of days. After that, the body will continue to shuffle it around, and rid itself of it over time. It's not different than aluminum, or mercury, or anything else. The body deals with it best it can. Sometimes that means storing it in a deep tissue because where it can't properly rid it right away, and it's causing too much damage. Sometimes that means it simply won't get out of your body in your lifetime.

Now, we have Fukishima poisoning an entire hemisphere' s worth of food supply. If you are so keen on the health benefits...go bathe in the leakage...and get back to me in three months.

Entire hemisphere? Pffft, bull#. Me thinks you've bought into the propaganda.

Again, dose. Your suggestion is absolutely absurd. Tell you what, never eat a banana again. They have radioactive particles in them. In fact, EVERYTHING DOES. The only difference is this water has a little more than usual. Apparently that's enough to stimulate the body to upregulate genes that code for various enzymes that repair cellular structures, and apparently that overcompensates for the damage of the minute increase in radiation, ie there's a health benefit.

top topics

join