It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The most expensive burger in the world cost $383,875 to make: Lab Grown Hamburger

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
That was an expensive hamburger!

The first test-tube burger was made from 3,000 tiny strips of meat grown from stem cells taken from a cow's muscle tissue and cost $383,875 to make. The raw meat is said to be grey with a squid-like texture. Sounds delicious, right? Hopefully, it gets better when you cook it. This week, it will be served for the first time in London, likely to the anonymous businessman who funded the research. Inventor Mark Post says it will keep beef from becoming more expensive as demand increases. If they can get people to eat the stuff, that is.

Link

Grey hamburger with a sqid-like texture. Yuck!
I'm very curious if it tastes like real hamburger, but I have absolutely no desire to even try this lab grown meat.

edit on 30-7-2013 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I like squid. I just prefer it to be in my calamari and stir-frys.

Make mine with real beef, bacon, and bleu cheese, thank you! And keep it under 8 dollars!

obligatory social commentary: I think it's appalling that lab-grown meat is even being created for three reasons: a) the social conditions that create the need for lab-grown meat are being ignored and band-aided with "miracle science" instead of more practical solutions, b) could this lead to a slippery-slope effect where we start all kinds of mad science experiments for more lab-grown meats, organs, animals, and even people?, and c) it's just gross and goes against everything I stand for

edit on 30-7-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by tinker9917

I doubt very much that the taste will matter to most people.

Most people eat everything charred to a crisp, dry as a bone, slathered with cheese which they in turn bury under sauces and condiments.

I have my doubts if 80% of the meat eaters out there even know what a burger or a steak actually tastes like.

Feed them burnt slime on a bun and they'll just cover it with cheese and ketchup and scarf it down just the same.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Do I get superpowers after I eat it???

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   
This is how the Zombie apocalypse begins

In an odd way Iam all for it as long as it is tested and proved safe for us to eat, It may help solve many problems with people not getting enough protein around the world, we can use the land needed for cattle in other ways.
Heck maybe they can grow more exotic types of meat I have always wanted to try...Baby Panda for example

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I feel the same way, i like to taste the meat im eating...a nice thick juicy steak with onions and peppers on the side.
No A1 for me.

I wonder what kinds of medical problems that will come about....its not like this has been tested over the long term.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

I doubt very much that the taste will matter to most people.

Most people eat everything charred to a crisp, dry as a bone, slathered with cheese which they in turn bury under sauces and condiments.

I have my doubts if 80% of the meat eaters out there even know what a burger or a steak actually tastes like.

Feed them burnt slime on a bun and they'll just cover it with cheese and ketchup and scarf it down just the same.

This is about the gist of it.

This product, until it can be grown into steaks, with marbled fat and whatnot, will likely be used in a way simliar to "pink slime". It will make it to food service chains, maybe lunchmeat packages. Thats about it.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   
And we wonder where all our money goes!

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
More info on the "creation" of this so called meat

The burger started off as real beef, or at least stem cells drawn from a donor cow. The cells were cultured in petri dishes until enough were present to form strips of muscle. Those weak beef muscles were then hooked up to Velcro and exercised in the lab, the tension and action turning them into something more akin to actual meat. Finally, 3,000 strips of this lab-brown muscle were minced up and mixed with particles of lab grown animal fat to create a 5 ounce burger that no one had to kill a cow for. Whether it’s something you’d want to eat, though, is another matter, one that may come a step closer to being settled later this week.

Link

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

If you want the seasoned fries with it, it's $383,876.50.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Looks delicious

I wouldn't eat that if I was offered a million pounds to do so.

Kinda reminds me of Quorn, that lovely vegetarian faux meat, that is actually lab grown fungus, I bet many veggies don't realise that fact.

King

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
S&F!

I kind of understand the negative reactions, but I see this as a quite an interesting advance.

I have a meat-heavy diet (I'm from Argentina, so, yeah...) and I like GOOD meat, but I also understand that we live in a world where there are millions of humans unable to meet their dietary requirements. Sure, unfair distribution of wealth is one cause, but there are also serious logistical difficulties in some places regarding the production of enough food.

IF we can refine and improve "artificial" (sigh..) production of food, that could be a GREAT tool to have, even more when we are seriously starting to think about sending people on long term missions to space....

But yeah, scientists are evil and the glass is half-empty

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by drakus

I agree in the fact that in instances of widespread hunger and malnutrition, this could be a great help, if deemed safe to eat of course. But it is my fear that it will be incorporated into our foods without our knowledge or approval, just as GMO's and pink slime.

edit on 30-7-2013 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Cartoon on the original source website:

Funny....it looks like pudding to me:

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Yeah, looks like a clear off-colored gel... you gotta link?

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   

The article your source from is just a blurb about this link, sourced at the end of your OP link.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

The article your source from is just a blurb about this link, sourced at the end of your OP link.

You are going to need alternatives. If we don’t do anything meat will become a luxury food

I surely hope that is not the case

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by tinker9917
I have absolutely no desire to even try this lab grown meat.

Don't worry about that, they will make sure to pass and or enforce a law that prohibits anyone from telling the public whether it was grown in a lab or natural.

You will most likely never know, I imagine they will start with a 5-90% mixture and go from there.

Actually I think they already have passed such a law If I recall correctly and it wasn't the GMO bill. I will have to look for it. I think it had to do with cloning

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I have to agree, i spend time slow cooking steaks and burgers
to draw out the natural flavor, bring them in and sit in amazment
as the wife and kids dump tons of bbq sauce and catchup and
what ever else all over it.

Just blows my mind every time, i prefer to taste what i'm eating,
not have it covered in other flavor and sauce.

Guess i'm just a weird one.

Now days i only take the time to cook mine to perfection, theirs,ahh
cook it hot and fast, they dont care, they dont taste it anyway.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by NarcolepticBuddha
I like squid. I just prefer it to be in my calamari and stir-frys.

Make mine with real beef, bacon, and bleu cheese, thank you! And keep it under 8 dollars!

obligatory social commentary: I think it's appalling that lab-grown meat is even being created for three reasons: a) the social conditions that create the need for lab-grown meat are being ignored and band-aided with "miracle science" instead of more practical solutions, b) could this lead to a slippery-slope effect where we start all kinds of mad science experiments for more lab-grown meats, organs, animals, and even people?, and c) it's just gross and goes against everything I stand for

edit on 30-7-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

Star for your post!
I don't post much here, usually because I just absorb what I read. This post, however, I had to comment on. It's one of the best things I've seen on here in a long time.

Why indeed do something like this? This is beyond GMO...this is just plain wrong

top topics

<<   2 >>

join