It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Housing benefit challenge dismissed by High Court

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Yet another disgusting ruling by the corrupt elite:

Disabled families have lost a court challenge to social housing benefit cuts for residents with spare bedrooms in England, Wales and Scotland.

www.bbc.co.uk...

A bit of background for those who do not know. The miserly coalition decided to cut housing benefit for people who had more rooms than they needed. This is dubbed as Bedroom Tax. People are being forced to downsize or lose £15 for 1 extra room from their housing benefit. This is affecting the most vulnerable in society: sick, disabled and others. People who live in modified housing so they can live as close to a normal life as possible. People who need the spare room to put up their carer or children as they have shared custody.

Now the government do not care about these people. They made a law, with no regard to the consequences for those who are being screwed over so they can save pennies. They refused to budge even though people protested and put forward their cases. They have utter contempt for the most vulnerable of society.

So now people are being forced to move into inadequate properties, even entirely new towns. They lose their support networks, they become immobile, they are set back decades. So, some people decided to take it to the courts to see if level heads prevail.

Nope. Some morons in fancy dress and stupid wigs, with a tenuous grip on reality, decides to side with the government. I am flat out accusing these judges of corruption. I wonder how much the DWP paid them to screw over the human rights of sick and disabled people. # the judges, # the law. I hold nothing but contempt for it while it destroys the lives of the most vulnerable in society so they can save pennies, all the while they get up to all manner of corrupt and illegal activities.

The heroes of this situation are taking this as high up as they can, I hold no hope for them in the UK but hopefully the European court (if they are allowed access) will rule in their favour. (and if they do so, you can bet it will hasten the UK's withdrawal from the EU courts).
edit on 30-7-2013 by Firefly_ because: (no reason given)

edit on Tue Jul 30 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: EX TAGS

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Well done and thanks for bringing this to light. It must go viral to let everyone know that our own government discriminates against the disabled, sick, etc. It seems that they are beyond the laws and they get away with it. I am against the spare room tax and I even have a poster in my window that gives people more information. Protests won't work any more the government are laughing at us. The only way now is to make the UK grind to a halt and stop paying these corrupted government our money. If they have no money coming in then they have no power.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Firefly_

Not to make light of the situation but….this social cradle to grave assistance provided by government (the tax payer) is and always will be unsustainable. How in the world is cutting back on excess benefits be considered discrimination or a human right violation???

Beggars can’t be choosers, friend. The 'takers' of society don't get to make the rules....the 'givers' do! If I make a charitable donation, the recipient doesn’t get to determine the amount and then accuse me of violating their rights for not giving MORE.

What am I missing here?

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

Not to make light of the situation but….this social cradle to grave assistance provided by government (the tax payer) is and always will be unsustainable. How in the world is cutting back on excess benefits be considered discrimination or a human right violation???

Beggars can’t be choosers, friend. The 'takers' of society don't get to make the rules....the 'givers' do! If I make a charitable donation, the recipient doesn’t get to determine the amount and then accuse me of violating their rights for not giving MORE.

What am I missing here?

Why should the disabled and sick people be penalised now after so many years just because they have a spare room? I find that so unfair and they have paid into the system well most have. They have attacked the vulnerable which they know that they can't fight back and that is just inhumane.

Edit: As your American (I think) we have different rules here in the UK. We have had our NHS for many years and it was suppose to be for the British people not foreigners who haven't paid into the system. We are being treated like 2nd class compared to immigrants who come here not even born in the UK and get support and housing free without even paying into the system that others have.
edit on 7/30/1313 by Sk8ergrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Sk8ergrl

Why should the disabled and sick people be penalised now after so many years just because they have a spare room?
Why do you consider it a penalty? It’s not THEIR room, technically. The extra room is paid for by others. If ‘others’ realize these extras are no longer feasible then don’t they have the right to make changes? The alternative is to bankrupt the system and then the most needy get even less!

I find that so unfair and they have paid into the system well most have. They have attacked the vulnerable which they know that they can't fight back and that is just inhumane.
I don’t know why anyone considers this an attack. These people are still being provided for, no?

edit on 30-7-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Why should the disabled and sick people be penalised now after so many years just because they have a spare room?The still have to pay their rent out of their support
Why do you consider it a penalty? It’s not THEIR room, technically. The extra room is paid for by others. If ‘others’ realize these extras are no longer feasible then don’t they have the right to make changes? If they have paid into the system then they are allowed support The alternative is to bankrupt the system and then the most needy get even less!

I find that so unfair and they have paid into the system well most have. They have attacked the vulnerable which they know that they can't fight back and that is just inhumane.
I don’t know why anyone considers this an attack. These people are still being provided for, no?

edit on 30-7-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   
The disabled have not been discriminated on, actually the opposite as they have been treated the same as everyone else regarding the so called bedroom tax.

Whilst no fan of the Conservatives (or any other mainstream political party) the benefit bill does need to be reduced. Thanks to 13 years of profligate spending by Labour the UK is running a massive deficit with our debt increasing year on year by 100bn +. Having been brought up as one of five children living in a small 3 bedroom council house it appears absurd that people are complaining that they are getting slightly less free money than before for their state provided house with an unused extra bedroom. I guess it is a result of the selfish culture we live in today where people expect something for nothing and complain if they do not get it.
edit on 30-7-2013 by fossildog because: Speeling

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Edit: As your American (I think) we have different rules here in the UK.
I’m sure you do but my points about this entitlement mentality and the unsustainability of these excesses still stands.

We have had our NHS for many years and it was suppose to be for the British people not foreigners who haven't paid into the system. We are being treated like 2nd class compared to immigrants who come here not even born in the UK and get support and housing free without even paying into the system that others have.
We have the same problem here in US with illegal immigrants from Mexico and elsewhere (primarily Mexico). They collect a huge amount of government assistance; free healthcare, money for food, subsidized housing, free education, etc without having contributed to the system.

Believe me…..I share your frustration!

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Edit: As your American (I think) we have different rules here in the UK.
I’m sure you do but my points about this entitlement mentality and the unsustainability of these excesses still stands.

We have had our NHS for many years and it was suppose to be for the British people not foreigners who haven't paid into the system. We are being treated like 2nd class compared to immigrants who come here not even born in the UK and get support and housing free without even paying into the system that others have.
We have the same problem here in US with illegal immigrants from Mexico and elsewhere (primarily Mexico). They collect a huge amount of government assistance; free healthcare, money for food, subsidized housing, free education, etc without having contributed to the system.

Believe me…..I share your frustration!

When we moan we get called racist in our own country lol I just don't like immigrants who come here just to get our free NHS and support. I think that if you pay into the system for so long then you are entitled to support until then you should have means to support yourself and private health insurance.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by fossildog

I do agree with you that Labour caused this mess by spending money that was not there. Also its the banks that have messed up the worlds economies with their greed. Now bloody government pouring money into the banks who started this mess makes no sense.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   

There is only so much money to go around. Was recently reported that some 500,000+ council homes have been allocated to recent immigrants. Along with this the UK have increased their foreign aid budget which is crazy as we are effectively borrowing money and giving it away to countries like India who have their own space program! This is aside from the the load immigrants place on the services such as the NHS and local councils.

I do feel that in order to sort our country out we need to look carefully at immigration and foreign policy and concentrate on what is best for British people.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Its disgusting isn't it

But this is what you get with a tory government, more for them, less for everyone else.

They better appeal.

Dirty tory Scumbags

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   

What am I missing here?

the benefit system was fine , so your argument about it being unsustainable wont slide with the real people of Britain. The bedroom tax is effecting a lot of people , not just people on benefits , and to reduce a disabled person's chances of keeping their home is sick .... defending this is even worse .

You ask how its a human right violation ..... im pretty god damn sure there's a human right to a decent standard of living ........ and i would'nt say that keeping disabled people living in fear of losing their houses whilst eating scraps , is a decent standard of living. They are also being forced to work for free ... sooooo .... yeah.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

Their all as bad as one another whatever party we vote they will promise this and that until they get elected then all of the promises out the windows and they make our lives worse.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by AthiestJesus

I agree with you and this might turn into a labour camp to get companies like Amazon paying the government to get disabled and sick people to work for free under a scheme.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by fossildog
The disabled have not been discriminated on, actually the opposite as they have been treated the same as everyone else regarding the so called bedroom tax.

Whilst no fan of the Conservatives (or any other mainstream political party) the benefit bill does need to be reduced. Thanks to 13 years of profligate spending by Labour the UK is running a massive deficit with our debt increasing year on year by 100bn +. Having been brought up as one of five children living in a small 3 bedroom council house it appears absurd that people are complaining that they are getting slightly less free money than before for their state provided house with an unused extra bedroom. I guess it is a result of the selfish culture we live in today where people expect something for nothing and complain if they do not get it.
edit on 30-7-2013 by fossildog because: Speeling

You're a tory ..... your post says so.

Show me the figures for a 1,300 Billion pound defecit ran up by labour ...... B.S

The government is wiping out the working class then stamping us into poverty .... whilst letting bankers and lobbyist Lords make more money than they did under labour.
You people know nothing about ecenomics if you think the benefit system was a problem. youre just selfish , ignorant , greedy , people.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sk8ergrl

I agree with you and this might turn into a labour camp to get companies like Amazon paying the government to get disabled and sick people to work for free under a scheme.

They already work at tescos for free ...... they are told it is work experience , treat like dogs and threatened with homelessness if they refuse to be slaves. Im tired of it all myself .... im waiting for somebody to blow the battle horn .

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by SearchLightsInc

Its disgusting isn't it

But this is what you get with a tory government, more for them, less for everyone else.

They better appeal.

Dirty tory Scumbags

I don’t disagree that many within your government (and my own) may very well be sumbags but how does responsibly managing excess spending make them scumbags? Would you rather they spend even more on unnecessary entitlements?

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by SearchLightsInc

Its disgusting isn't it

They better appeal.

Dirty tory Scumbags

I don’t disagree that many within your government (and my own) may very well be sumbags but how does responsibly managing excess spending make them scumbags? Would you rather they spend even more on unnecessary entitlements?

so food and shelter for disabled people is an unnecessary entitlement ?

What about nappies and care ... those too ?

You want us to let disabled people just die whilst drowning them out with the MSM "thinkbox" ?

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   

the benefit system was fine , so your argument about it being unsustainable wont slide with the real people of Britain.
If it was fine then why is the government cutting back? What are the reasons cited for the cutbacks?

You ask how its a human right violation ..... im pretty god damn sure there's a human right to a decent standard of living ........

Really?

Where is that written and who defines “decent”?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join