It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope Francis on Gays "Who Am I To Judge?'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I'm still digg'n the new pope.

CNN - Pope Francis on Gays "Who Am I To Judge?"

ABOARD THE PAPAL AIRPLANE (CNN) –Pope Francis said Monday that he will not "judge" gays and lesbians - including gay priests - signaling a shift from his predecessor and offering another sign that the new pope is committed to changing the church's approach to historically marginalized groups.

“If someone is gay and he searches for the Lord and has good will, who am I to judge?” Francis said in a wide-ranging news conference aboard the papal plane.

Though answering a question about the so-called "gay lobby" at the Vatican, the pope's remarks seemed to signal a change in tone, if not in teaching, in the church's stance towards gays and lesbians more generally.

I'm still nervous about his thoughts on the monetary system and that there should be a wealth redistribution tax etc etc ... but as far as the spiritual things like this ... I"m really happy and hopeful.

I''m sure there are those out there who will think this is part of a gay agenda conspiracy.

But I'm just not seeing that at all.
edit on 7/29/2013 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

This kinda makes me nervous....But will he judge those Priests who use children in nefarious ways?

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Why stop with gays? If someone is X and (s)he searches for the Lord and has good will, who is anyone to judge?

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlueMule
Why stop with gays?

He was specifically answering a question about the 'gay lobby' conspiracy.
His answer was a kind one ... concerned with the soul .... that kind of thing.
I liked it.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Are you a Catholic OP? I was curious how the different Popes impressed you. I noticed a lot of people like Pope Francis better because of his progressive views and nicer ways of making people feel acceptable. A lot of people hated Pope Benedict XVI because of his conservative views. It's weird how a new leader can change the face of the Catholic church.

+6 more 
posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Starwise
.But will he judge those Priests who use children in nefarious ways?

He has said he won't judge people ... but that he'll clean house ...
(Judging the soul is different from prosecuting people for misconduct)
He has had a 'call to action' on this almost immediately upon taking the job.
I think there were threads about it here.

Pope Francis calls for decisive action against pedophile priests

Prosecute the pedophiles. Be nonjudgemental toward the souls of gay people.
Two different things.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I agree with him, I just hope his followers take note and stop judging also (you know who you are).
At last we have ammunition (It feels like a war sometimes) to use against those who judge against others.
But I would not be surprised If one of his followers tried to take the guy out.
Hope not he is doing what is right and best for the CC moving forward.
Great find FF.
S&F

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phoenix267
Are you a Catholic OP? I was curious how the different Popes impressed you.

I was raised Catholic. I kept what I think is good of the Catholic .. and tossed the rest.

You asked my opinion on different popes ...

Francis .... So far
(but like I said, I'm keeping a wary eye on his monetary speeches)

Benedict ... yuk

Pope John Paul II ... in the middle. Spiritually good. Lost control of the church so bad elements advanced in the banking areas and in the pedophile areas.

Pope John Paul I ... too short a time to know. Poor guy got murdered.

Paul VI ... liar. useful tool to the enemies of the church.

John 23 ... opened the door for many problems with Vatican II. Good intent perhaps. Bad results.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Thanks for replying. Not being a Catholic it seems everyone can agree Popes John Paul 2 and Francis are easily more popular with non-Catholics.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   
If he is the vicar of Christ, or is the embodiment of Christ on earth, wants other humans to bow down, kiss his ring etc, wouldn't he be bound by this heavy responsibility and also if he has the "keys" wouldn't he have some judgement or opinion to make on anything that previously was deemed not kosher in the bible or canons of the church historically, I mean if this is the case and was the case all along shouldn't all of the pontiffs have felt like this? why would any church present, or in history have judged, tortured and burned at the stake anyone that opposes the teachings of the church or had not been in line with their teachings? it really makes zero sense to me.
The questions I have on this subject is who is worse, the heretic? or the hypocrite ? and who is the most credible?

Hypocrite - Merriam-Webster Online
www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hypocrite‎
a person who puts on a false appearance of virtue or religion. 2. : a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings

heretic - definition of heretic by the Free Online Dictionary ...
www.thefreedictionary.com/heretic‎
A person who holds controversial opinions, especially one who publicly dissents from the officially accepted dogma of the Roman Catholic Church.

edit on 29-7-2013 by phinubian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Pfffft the vatican is just a pedophile club so yeah who is the pope and his twisted croonies to judge anyone when they are the sicked deviants out there

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   
"The pope also spoke out about the role of women in the church, saying it needs to be deeper and not end. But he brushed aside the possibility of ordaining women as priests, saying the church had spoken on the matter: "The church says no. That door is closed." He did say that more work needed to be done theologically on the role of women in the church."

I wish he was a bit more progressive on this issue as well, but baby steps are always good I suppose

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

Not all off them are pedo's and the new pope in my eyes is trying to improve the catholic church, good for him lets hope his work continues.

OMG yup folks you have read correctly Iam sticking up for the pope

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by phinubian

The questions I have on this subject is who is worse, the heretic? or the hypocrite ? and who is the most credible?

The Hypocrite. The problem? EVERYONE is a Liar. EVERYONE has faults.

I am a non religious type of person, but if someone is trying to clean up their Church and is willing to change their ways, more power to them. Is he a Heretic? Maybe. Is he going against the doctrine of the church? Maybe. Is it helpful for his church in the long run? You bet.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   

This guy has his act together very well - I just hope he can move the mountain that is the RCC to his side of things.
Go Francis!

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   

That is quite interesting.

Through the Pope's Voice the Catholic Church has done a 180 on their views of Gays.

Like I have said several times before. .. It is only a matter of time before Abortion becomes acceptable.

My question is what motivated the change of view? Was it the controversy of terrible things that priests do to children?

I agree it is about time that the Catholic Church finds gays acceptable, but also find it's motivation highly suspect.

edit on 29-7-2013 by ShadellacZumbrum because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by phinubian

Hard to follow your post. How is the pope a hypocrite for saying "who am I to judge gay people'?
I'm just not seeing it. Please explain ...

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Pistoche

The Catholic church can never ordain women as priests. It's a doctrine set in stone.
Disciplines can be changed (like priests getting married). But doctrines can not be.
As far as I remember.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadellacZumbrum
My question is what motivated the change of view?

The teaching of the Catholic church remains ...
The ACT of homosexual sex is against church teaching.
But no one is to JUDGE the SOUL of another human being.
That's God's job alone. And to judge a soul is to try to elevate yourself to be God.
DISCERN the ACT ... but don't JUDGE the SOUL.

So I don't think that Francis has changed Church teaching. (yet??) He's reminding people not to hate. He's reminding people that we don't know another persons soul. He's reminding people that only God can judge a soul. He's - in my opinion - softening the hate against homosexuals, reminding everyone that we are all human and struggling and trying to find our way through life.

IMHO

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
According to this telegram I got from God
back in 2010
Pope Francis is right on message.

Mike

================================
DISPATCH

August 1st, 2010

STOP

I was never against homosexuality. Sodom and Gamora were full of gang rapist. Something even the Gay Community doesn't tolerate. If you think otherwise read it again. I mean skin is skin right? And David Bowie was just hot. What? I would cut his hair. God.

FULL STOP
================================

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join