It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teachers Flip Out Over Blue Jean Ban, Threaten to Sue

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Yes, like a bunch of babies, school teachers are threatening to sue the district because they don't want to comply with the dress code. The new dress code, voted on by the school board bans blue jeans, faded jeans, and shorts.

Now, teachers a few counties over are pitching a fit because the local board of education voted to prohibit them from wearing blue jeans, faded jeans and shorts to work. The Lewis County Board of Education’s vote at a Monday board meeting in favor of the ban was unanimous, reports WBOY-TV.

Boo hoo hoo, cry me a river.

An attorney from the American Federation of Teachers, Jeff Blaydes, indicated that the union may sue so that public school teachers will have the right to wear shorts and faded jeans as they teach students.

I absolutely can't see their side of it. They have a dress code requiring them to look presentable. So do most jobs. I've had jobs where I can wear jeans, and jobs where I can't. Almost everyone I know has a dress code at their job, unless they work for themselves. If you are a car mechanic or something, I can totally get wearing jeans. They're teachers. I can't recall teachers wearing jeans when I went to school (graduated in the 90s) except on special days.

Am I missing something folks? Cause I see a big bunch of whiners here. Seems they should have better things to worry about, no? I mean to say, if this is the big problem in their life....

Source link leads to Yahoo:
Public school teachers go ballistic over teacher dress code in West Va., threaten to sue

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Ameilia

When I went to school, never did the teachers wear shorts, ever.
They wore slacks or dresses. I don't think they wore jeans either.

In fact, the girls [students] were wearing their mini-skirts so short that the guys [students] got together and they wore Bermuda shorts to school one day to protest.
Needless to say, the guys got sent home BUT they got their message across.
From then on, the skirts were to be no shorter than just above the knees.

But seriously, I never knew teachers were allowed to wear jeans, much less shorts.
I thought they all had dress codes.
Besides, one would think they would be held to a higher standard and set an example for the students to dress appropriately.
My how times have changed.

edit on 25-7-2013 by snarky412 because: spelling....oops

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

The best teachers I had were rebels. They didn't follow the guidelines. They were cool, a little off, but cool.

I never judged a teacher by the clothes they were wearing. I learned from the ones that were a little different, because being a little different is interesting.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 03:44 AM
link   
I have had teachers who would wear tweeds, jeans, cordouroys, skirts and dresses, shorts, sports kits, standard trousers and shirts, leather trousers and jackets with attendant motorbike gear...

Personally speaking, I think the dress code for any enterprise should be utterly dependant on the weather which prevails. If it is hot out, wear thin clothes, shorts, whatever will keep you at your desk without heat stroke happening. If it is cold, wear any damn assemblage of clothing that will keep the elements out and away from your skin, and retain your own microclimates integrity and prevent heat loss. At all times where no extremes are prevailing, dress according to a loose code with no totalitarianism behind it, and just get on with it.

Jeans are about as inoffensive as you can get in terms of clothing, and teachers in regular school (those who do not have phd level qualifications in thier field) ought to be able to wear what they want within reason. All this flim flam about presenting a proffessional front is so bogus its ridiculous. There is no proper way for a teacher to appear before thier class, aside from to ensure that no one is committing indecency related to thier wardrobe. Obviously teachers (of either gender) wearing sling bikinis at work is not appropriate, but why does the establishment want to give thier teachers airs (that they probably do not deserve) by giving them a dress code prohibiting one of the most sensible and hardwearing clothing types ever?

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Clothing Nazis.

All they do is judge people by their appearance anyway.
Shallow simple minded types.

They care more about what you wear than the content of your character.

I wish the tyrants would just disappear.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Bang on Muzz

This isn't 1890 anymore The teachers have to try and connect with kids and If they are uncomfortable in what they are wearing they are not putting 100% in teaching the kids. Let them be who they want to be and wear what they want and kids will pick up on it and hopefully respect the teacher more.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Not really much I can contribute to the discussion EXCEPT that during my school years and into the present almost all GYM teachers and SPORTS coaches wear shorts. I don't remember regular teachers wearing shorts, but at some time after I went to school there were female teachers wearing "skorts" - those skirt looking shorts with the extra material wrap.

Personally, I don't see a problem with having a dress code, but I can also see that given the low pay of most teachers it would be a financial hardship to have to buy a whole new work wardrobe due to new dress codes.

Other than that my general reaction is "WTF?!" - doesn't the school board have more IMPORTANT things to consider?

ganjoa

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
All jobs have dress codes. What's the big deal? I certainly can't recall my teachers wearing blue jeans or shorts (unless PE teachers).

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
All jobs have dress codes. What's the big deal? I certainly can't recall my teachers wearing blue jeans or shorts (unless PE teachers).

I cant recall Teachers having relations with students either.

Seriously, why cant teachers just teach? Not to much to ask, hey?

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Well, at least they are usually hot female teachers getting with male students. Where was THAT when I was in school???...I could think of a couple I wish were that way...

This one, Debra LaFave, was a local teacher who got it on with a 14yr old student...

edit on 25-7-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I remember dress codes but the students and teachers all had a dress code.
Shorts were for PE and jeans couldn't be ripped, frayed or overly faded.
No sandals, flip flops ect.
Socks were mandatory.
Hair was not allowed to go below the collar for guys. Girls were not allowed to be shaved bald or wear multiple colored hair but otherwise no issues.
Cleavage was tightly policed (Button that third button or you get detention) but that was limited to a few senior girls. The rest of the teenage girls looked like teenage boys back before everything in the world was laden with hormones and most fourth grade girls developed double D's

I don't remember anyone really caring either way about the dress code.
We pretty much just went to school and got it over with.

We were only allowed a calculator in trigonometry, calculus or chemistry.
No phone use allowed except for lunch period and that was for the pay phones.
The teachers lounge was the only place you could buy a soda or candy bar.

Now kids can't survive ten minutes without a smart phone and a trip to the vending machines every half hour.

Oh yeah,
We also had gun racks in the back windows of our pickup trucks and they had shotguns and rifles in them....loaded.
Everyone carried a knife. Nobody in their right mind wandered around without a good knife.

But we still followed the dress code.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

No comment......

top topics

join