It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One man's trash is another's gold: Detroit. 1,419 square foot, 2 bathroom home with trees in the f

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLieWeLive

Good points! Also consider the fact that the property taxes on these homes are probably going to run pretty high every month.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Yeah, as an adult I actually moved back into Detroit in the late 80s....nice house, quiet neighborhood. Not much crime.
A couple of blocks away, there were one or two abandoned and boarded up houses....

It was a stable neighborhood...for awhile.
But it was a changing neighborhood....as home-owners moved out and renters moved in and house values either were stagnant or dropped.
Even back then, a small mortgage company got in trouble for shady lending practices and went out of business.

It was near a school and you started to see the remains of cars, stolen from other areas.
Used needles and underwear in the park.

One year our hubcaps were stolen...and back then no cops ever arrived...it was all handled by phone.
The next week the radio was taken.

It never got better and we moved out in 1999.
I drove through the street a few weeks ago.
It was shocking.
The school was closed...although there was new playground equipment left behind.
Many boarded and burned out houses. The ones left were often overgrown.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
most of the cheap houses I saw there and on other websites are at least 50 years old or older. that means upgrades to wiring, plumbing, foundation repair, asbestos removal if needed, heating and A/C replacement, repair, or install. let's not forget mold, wall panels, flooring, leaky roof......20 grand sales price, with 200 grand worth of upgrades. i'll let someone else buy into that mess. one other thing I have heard on all the media...."there is such a vibrant and functional downtown" ....maybe if some of the tax base went out to the neighborhoods, and NOT to building up a "Potemkin" downtown, they still might have a city left.
edit on 21-7-2013 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-7-2013 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

Maybe if everything didn't go up and up and up and up, there would be less people on the streets and more Healthy people living without the Stress of Mortgage Re-payments and over excessive Interest Rates!!

I am in the UK but this Detroit must be really bad for those Owners to want to get out.... and if its so bad, why would anyone want to move in?

If the crime is so bad, well something needs to be done right? Clear out the Mess and then live peacefully!

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Just remember folks, most of these cheap houses have been completely gutted, they will need inspections and improvements just to get them back up to code before you even attempt to move in. A

Remember if you get one of these when you start the renovations, make sure you hire a security guard to guard the place at night otherwise everything you put in will be gone by the next morning.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I would live there as if I were living in the Zombie Apocalypse.

That means i'd have SMG's all over the place downstairs and a rifle mounted on a window upstairs.
(Assuming one could even find a gun if you didn't already have one ha)

I would live there if I were American, $17,500 sounds great. But I would be one pro-active SOB.
My neighbours would know damn well not to screw with me.

I feel I could live just about anywhere if I really wanted to. I'm the kind of person who won't take kindly.

edit on 21-7-2013 by yourmaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I used to live in the suburbs of Detroit, and believe me, you don't want to go into Detroit itself for any reason whatsoever. I broke down, and pulled off the highway onto a side street down there once, and had the most harrowing hour of my life waiting for the tow truck. Someone was murdered in that same area a few hours after I left. I had another friend who unwisely decided to drive side streets to go to a meeting downtown, and had a group of guys start rear-ending his car in an attempt to activate the fuel cut-off mechanism, so they could rob him. I cannot even begin to express how much you DON'T want to go there...

While that house may appear nice on the outside, I'd get on Google and look at the houses and area surrounding it to see what they look like. The last time I was there, it was like a third world country. Burnt out shells of homes, frames of burned cars in the streets, rats the size of dogs, torn up cement with four foot tall weeds growing out of it, garbage everywhere, fields of unmowed grass where homes were torn down, some houses are little more then piles of ruble, drug houses, gangs, etc... the city is in that shape, and no efforts to “revitalize” have work so far, for a reason.

I believe that a few years ago, as part of the push to revitalize Detroit, the city was selling property for as little as $1, as long as you cleared the land. Yet I still don't see much new popping up down there, and that is because f two other reasons. First, crime. If you again take a google map stroll down a street downtown, you'll notice that many houses have enough bars on them to put Fort Knox to shame. Secondly, you better be of the correct race for the area you are considering buying land in. If not you will not last long down there at all...

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   
One more thing...
While some of those houses may look okay in the photos, I'll bet you're looking at tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars in repair work. Many of those houses were at least built in the 1950's (maybe even before that), and many sat in disrepair for many years. So that means antiquated heating (probably no air conditioning), antiquated duct work, ancient electrical wiring, rusted out plumbing, mold, mildew, and very likely frame and foundation damage from water intrusion.

Take it from someone who figured it would be a great deal to buy a “fixer-upper” so I could get a larger house for the money. IT'S NOT WORTH IT!... Unless you really know what you are doing, have the skill, and are granted access to analyze the property in advance (you cannot trust inspectors, even if you hired them, and people selling a “fixer-upper” really don't want you digging to find what all the 'costs” will end up being), it ends up being cheaper, and one hell of a lot less headache, to just get a newer house...

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Unless you are in a part of the city that has newer subdivisions with brick ranches....I believe most Detroit houses are from the 20s-40s.....especially after WW2 when there was a big demand for housing.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Can someone explain to me how the hell Detroit still has a functional NBA franchise ?
edit on 21-7-2013 by ArtooDetoo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ArtooDetoo

The NBA plays in the suburbs.
The NFL [William Clay Ford, Sr., owner] play in the city as does the NHL and baseball franchises [both owned Mike Ilitch].....all play just north of downtown Detroit.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

I know that most are pretty old. They usually have a basement “coal chute”, and I'll bet that a lot of them are wired with aluminum.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   
i can see the same thing happening as in canada the chinese turn up and buy the land and bulldoze everything and use it for farming

link   
Well, say a house has been kept up, how much would it cost to up and move the house onto a new lot somewhere else? It may be worth looking into..

link   
Mmmm cheap housing huh? I see potential slum lords up in here.....

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by elouina

I'm going to venture a lot more then just building a new one.
You really need to add up the value of what is in the house, materials wise, take into consideration its age and condition, then compare it to the costs of just building a new house. I'll bet you the new house ends up being cheaper 99% of the time.

Something that I wish I knew when I started rebuilding my house, is that its actually cheaper to build from scratch than to try and repair existing. So for example it would have been better off to gut all my drywall, redo all the plumbing and wiring, then just have all new drywall installed, textured, painted, as opposed to cutting holes, matching, skinning, and patching up the old stuff.
edit on 7/21/2013 by defcon5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC
reply to post by FlySolo

these prices for rent or sale?

Those prices are for sale.

Fact is Detroit and it's surrounding areas have had a fire sale on homes for some time now. There are even programs in place within the city where the City will pay you to take over an abandoned property and give you more money to remodel and/or repair the home.

You can also find no shortage of articles dating back to 2010-2011 in which you can find homes in and around Detroit for as low $1.00- and yes that is not a typo. One US Dollar. Here is an article from November of 2012 that does a good job of putting things into context, and keep in mind, things have only gotten worse.

Detroit homes selling for $1.00

The first property — a heavily damaged three-bed, two-bath with more than 1400 square feet — listed on the website for one dollar at 13396 Indian Street. The property has an estimated value of $30,925 from Zillow.com, plunging from $84,000 in November 2006.

One four bedroom, one bath home in the city listed for $100, has a Zillow estimated value of $25,333, and is currently in foreclosure and owned by the bank.

According to the Michigan Association of Realtors, the average sale price for a home in Detroit in September 2012 was $17,125.

For some reference, the average transaction price for most automobile brands was $30,282 in September 2012, reports Fox News. In other words, you can buy two houses in Detroit for the price of one car.

I did an pretty extensive post about a year ago or so about the housing prices around Detroit based on current information from reputable realtors. Anyone really interested in the subject should do their own search, the results may absolutely shock you.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   
If anyone has the extra money saved up, this would be a good property to just have on hand for the near future before foreign markets buy up detroit and turn it into something completely different.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by jvm222
If anyone has the extra money saved up, this would be a good property to just have on hand for the near future before foreign markets buy up detroit and turn it into something completely different.

Yeah and you open yourself up to lawsuits for having an inviting haven for the druggie who breaks his neck falling down your stairs.

Now this is for real, honest 100%, you could not even pay me to live in a castle in Detroit. My life is more important than material things.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   
it is sad to see america go this way and a little bit scary for once a great nation of workers .
while in china they have millions of homes prepared to move people into .

it is about time someone in the whitehouse got a grip and used the prison population to sort this mess out but that aint going to happen any time soon

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join