It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pineal Gland & Symbolism

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Pineal Gland & Symbolism

When we talk about symbolism, were venturing into the pseudo-scientific. Correlation is not causation, scientists never tire of reminding us, and I could not agree more. Still, however, when you read about the development, location and singularity of the Pineal gland, some part of you can't help but wonder: what an interesting little organ this is. Take these facts, for example:

• The Pineal is not made of brain tissue, but is formed from mouth tissue during fetal development and later migrates to the center of the brain.

• The Pineal isn't the only organ in the brain which is not doubled in either hemisphere (the pituitary gland). But unlike the pituitary gland, it isn't situated in such a way as to attract attention. It is in the dead center of the brain.

• The Pineal gland produces melatonin, and some researchers believe it also produces Dimethyltriyptamine (D-MT)

Now, if the pineal gland truly does produce D-MT, then it would be what Descartes thought it was: a gateway to spiritual experience. If the pineal gland is responsible for these psychedelic changes in consciousness, consider the information listed above.

Since ancient times, man has been differentiated from animals because he had the power of speech. Being able to speak made humans "spiritual" - it in fact enables the world we've created; society is essentially the natural consequence of language.

During the 49'th day of gestation, the pineal gland forms in the fetus. It is borne from tissue in the mouth, from the very region which will later on make the human more than animal. This is a pretty impressive symbolism.

Our sense of self, our sense and awareness of a cosmic wholeness, is a central aspect of the human experience. After forming from fetal mouth tissue, the Pineal decides to migrate to the very center of our seat of consciousness - the brain. Another impressive symbolism.

And, finally, if '___' is truly generated in the Pineal gland (Dr. Strassman in his book "'___': the Spirit Molecule" makes an plausible case), then all these symbolisms combine to make a coherent whole.

What do we make of these symbolisms? What does it suggest about everything else around us? Is the physical world and all we experience symbolic? Is the world as the ancients assumed it was - a physical representation of Gods mind?

• posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 02:18 PM
    link   

Originally posted by Astrocyte

Since ancient times, man has been differentiated from animals because he had the power of speech. Being able to speak made humans "spiritual" - it in fact enables the world we've created; society is essentially the natural consequence of language.

During the 49'th day of gestation, the pineal gland forms in the fetus. It is borne from tissue in the mouth, from the very region which will later on make the human more than animal. This is a pretty impressive symbolism.

Our sense of self, our sense and awareness of a cosmic wholeness, is a central aspect of the human experience. After forming from fetal mouth tissue, the Pineal decides to migrate to the very center of our seat of consciousness - the brain. Another impressive symbolism.

SnF for the informative share. To 1 there is major symbolism and data. For the Mouth of humans is used in 1 function to communicate and the brain transmits and processes data. For the Pineal to start and then grow from mouth tissue and then move to a potential transmitter point of brain and be associate with beyond communications and activities to 1 this again this is major symbolism if not data of its said ancient current functions to be alerted to now... nice share Astrocyte

NAMASTE*******
    edit on 7/20/13 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 02:51 PM
    link   
    reply to post by Astrocyte

All vertebrates possess pineal glands. I'm not sure I've seen symbols come out of any other species.

However I agree with your overall premise, that symbolism and language arise biologically, like some universal grammar as Chomsky proposes. It would be difficult, if not impossible, to conclude where exactly in the brain and body language arises from unless we were to develop some low-damage but highly intrusive surgical techniques to explore a functioning human. But, as you've shown, it is rational to point to the pineal gland, with it's position etc. as Descartes quite rationally supposed.

I think claiming the pineal gland produces '___' isn't entirely true; I don't think biologists know for sure whether it does or not, but I could be wrong. It produces mostly melatonin among other things.

I really like your thinking here.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 03:15 PM
    link   

What do we make of these symbolisms? What does it suggest about everything else around us? Is the physical world and all we experience symbolic? Is the world as the ancients assumed it was - a physical representation of Gods mind?

If, as your facts seem to indicate, the Pineal gland produces chemicals that cause spiritual experiences, then it would follow that spirituality is not a part of the Earth/Universe, but is in fact a projection of the mind. This would support my own personal stance that spirituality (religion, mysticism, magic) are not meant to be proselytized, or forced upon others', but simply experienced by you, the self.

You also brought an interesting fact to light for me, when you stated that the Pineal gland begins to develop on the 49th day. I'm not sure how familiar you are with various spiritual systems, but, I'd like to point out an interesting overlap.

Enochian magick is a language, and spiritual system, supposedly delivered to Dr. John Dee (confidant and consultant to Queen Elizabeth I) and his medium, Sir Edward Kelley over the course of a decade. Two different sets of spiritual creature took part in the process: angels, and "Presences", as Dee called them.

The angels (Michael, Gabriel, Raphael, and Uriel) were responsible for a Grimoire (book of magic) known as De Mysteria Heptarchia (the Heptarchic Mysteries), a book on planetary magic and spells. I largely consider the Grimoire to be Dee's attempt to create a lasting manual, something that was in vogue during the time he lived. For that reason, I consider it to be a bunch of gibberish.

The Presences however, delivered something infinitely more interesting. They were a family: Galva'h (a mother), Nalvage (a grandfatherly teacher), Illimese (a father-figure), Mapsama (a son), and Madimi (a daughter). This family helped Dee and Kelley translate and create a prayer book called The Book of Loagaeth (the Book of Being/Life). This book has some interesting rules which must be followed when creating it for personal use:

1) The Enochian language must first be learned. In order to learn to speak fluently in Enochian, the practitioner is supposed to create 49 prayer-tablets that will help him/her learn the language. When does this process begin? Well, after 49 days of "purity".

2) Each of the 49 prayers are to be created in a personal Book of Loagaeth for 49 days after the initial period of purity. During this period of creation the practitioner is supposed to absorb the Enochian language, as well as the prayers themselves, into his/her mind.

3) Once Enochian is within the mind, the practitioner can begin working with the Aethyrs, a collection of 30 "realms" and "rulers" who are supposed to bestow ecstasy and spiritual bliss/joy on the practitioner as they open their mind to each.

49 prayers that move from speech (the mouth), to though (the brain), where they help you produce spiritual experiences and union with higher realms of being? To me, the symbolic overlap between the Enochian system and the Pineal gland's development is quite interesting.

The Presences delivered the Book of Loagaeth to Dee and Kelley in 1582, I'm not sure if our understanding of biological processes was advanced enough at that time to know that the Pineal develops on day 49, and then migrates to the brain.

~ Wandering Scribe

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 04:36 PM
    link   
    reply to post by LesMisanthrope

All vertebrates possess pineal glands. I'm not sure I've seen symbols come out of any other species.

Yes, and all vertebrates also possess consciousness. But unlike other vertebrates, the human pineal is buried deep in the brain, while non-human pineal glands protrude from the brain, similar to the olfactory bulb.

However I agree with your overall premise, that symbolism and language arise biologically, like some universal grammar as Chomsky proposes.

This is not exactly what I mean. The whole process seems to be "objectively" symbolic. Of course, it takes our understanding of language to make sense of the symbolism, that's obvious enough, but that the biological process follows such a symbolic outline seems to beg the question: what does it mean?

In conceptual terms, we have the idea of "capacity for language" and "conceptual self awareness".

During fetal development, this process is physically represented by the pineal glands formation from mouth tissue, and it's subsequent migration to the center of the brain.

I think claiming the pineal gland produces D-MT isn't entirely true; I don't think biologists know for sure whether it does or not, but I could be wrong. It produces mostly melatonin among other things.

I mentioned that in the post. Basically, the pineal contains all the possible enzymes for DM-T production; additionally, the pineal is relatively difficult to chemically influence. It seems impervious to external stress factors like noradrenaline and adrenaline. Why is there such a "shield" around the pineal gland? Dr. Straussman assumes that if the pineal does produce D-MT, it has to be protected from precursors which would trigger D-MT production, which, for obvious reasons, wouldn't be exactly useful in our day to day living.

Overall, more research should be made in this area, and frankly, it's a little surprising that it hasn't. D-MT is a pharmacologically simple compound. It is found in most biological and plant organisms. Dr. Strassman and others predict that aberrant D-MT production might be a possible cause of schizophrenia's hallucinatory symptoms, like voice hearing. Why not explore this possibility?

edit on 20-7-2013 by Astrocyte because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 05:01 PM
    link   
    reply to post by Wandering Scribe

I'm not sure how familiar you are with various spiritual systems, but, I'd like to point out an interesting overlap.

The author of "D-MT: the spirit molecule" points out the Buddhist belief in 49 days between death and birth. He finds it to be a "proof" that upon dying, a body is in the process of being formed which your soul will impregnate on the 49th day of fetal development, when the pineal begins to form and the bodies sex becomes determined.

The Kabbalah also places a special emphasis on 49, 7X7 or 7². Squaring a number gives it greater dimensionality, I guess. The significance of 49 would be the the interrelations of each of the 7 sephiroth.

The Presences delivered the Book of Loagaeth to Dee and Kelley in 1582, I'm not sure if our understanding of biological processes was advanced enough at that time to know that the Pineal develops on day 49, and then migrates to the brain.

No, they came in the 19th century. It took lots of dissections of dead fetuses and cadavers to figure out that the pineal gland was mouth tissue which later migrated to the middle of the brain.

Numbers in general seem to fascinate mystics, particularly multiples of 7. So based on this alone, I don't think there's any organic connection between the Kabbalahs fascination with 49, or Buddhisms ideas of 49, or Enochian Magics conception of 49. This seems to be coincidental.

However, that the pineal gland develops at this time in itself might seem symbolically significant. 7 is the "number of this world", as so many religious metaphysical systems believe. The 7 colors of the spectrum, 7 notes in the scale, 7 continents, 7 chakras, the 7 days of creation and rest in the Hebrew Bible; 7 appears to be the "code" for this realm of existence. If you accept that assumption, then the pineal glands formation at 49 days as well as the sexing of the body, would seem to be consistent with this system of belief.

Why 49, though, I and others can only speculate. What would squaring a number signify? A type of integration of the spiritual with the physical, perhaps?

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 05:33 PM
    link   

The significance of 49 would be the the interrelations of each of the 7 sephiroth.

I'm always confused when somebody references "the 7 Sephiroth", because there aren't 7. There are 10 traditional Sephira, 11 if you count the Abyss:

01. Kether
    02. Chokmah
    03. Binah
    04. Chesed
    05. Geburah
    06. Tiphareth
    07. Hod
    08. Netzach
    09. Yesod
    10. Malkuth

11. Da'ath (the Abyss)

Maybe you can help clear up the confusion for me. Where does the idea of only 7 Sephiroth come from?

Numbers in general seem to fascinate mystics, particularly multiples of 7. So based on this alone, I don't think there's any organic connection between the Kabbalahs fascination with 49, or Buddhisms ideas of 49, or Enochian Magics conception of 49. This seems to be coincidental.

Considering that numbers, and mathematics in general, are the language of the Universe, I can see the mystic's fascination with them. I wasn't familiar with the Buddhist conception of 49 days between death and rebirth, that was interesting to learn. Kaballah (or Qabalah), to me, has a fascination with every number, probably as a way of covering all their bases.

The reason the Enochian Loagaeth was interesting to me was because the mystical undertaking is symbolic of the process of the Pineal's growth.

Loagaeth begins, after 49 days of not doing anything mystical, as a form of speech. The Pineal begins to develop 49 days after you are conceived, it develops out of mouth tissue.

Once the speech has been learned, Loagaeth becomes a mental practice. The Pineal gland migrates from the mouth to the brain.

Mastering Loagaeth is supposed to allow for plentiful spiritual experiences. An "awakened" Pineal gland is also supposed to be responsible for all spiritual experiences.

I was merely responding to your OP, which asked for comments and opinions about the whole thing. Just as those of the New Age believe that awakening the Pineal gland opens their Third Eye, I see the Enochian Loagaeth process as spiritually symbolic of the Pineal gland's development and function.

~ Wandering Scribe

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 05:53 PM
    link   

And don't forget that the pineal is often referred to as the "third eye" or, even more intriguing, the "true eye." If reality is indeed "maya," or illusion, then perhaps the pineal is the eye in which the non-illusory reality can be perceived.

Thanks for the neat info. This is the first time I'm hearing about the "mouth tissue" thing. I'm curious, since there are several tissues in the human mouth, which tissue is it that becomes the pineal gland itself? Or is it just unspecialized tissue?

I couldn't help but think of this visual symbolism here when seeing the title:

edit on 20-7-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 05:53 PM
    link   

hello. just want 2bring something to your attention that you already probably know. But isn't everything in life a duality? Or am I missing something here in what you typed?

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 06:16 PM
    link   
    reply to post by Wandering Scribe

Maybe you can help clear up the confusion for me. Where does the idea of only 7 Sephiroth come from?

If my memory serves me correctly, the 10 sephiroth (and the semi sephira of da'ath) can be broken up into 4 categories. In the Parsuf (persona) system of Lurianic Kabbalah, the sephira are broken up into Abba/Ima/Zeir Anpin/Nukva.

In more straight-forward language, each sephira would correspond to some conceptual attribute. Kether or Crown - refers to the will. Hokmah and Binah are respectively "wisdom" and "understanding"; wisdom would seem to correspond with undifferentiated thought, intuition, or an insight, while understanding would refer to its being conceptually "fleshed out" in a systematic way. The next 6 sephira and Malkuth are sometimes treated as a group, because they represent the "lower dimension". Will, Intuition and Cognition are more abstract than feeling tones. The 6 sephira are feeling tones; Chesed through Yesod would in my mind correspond to: unmitigated love, unmitigated fear, compassion, perseverance, humility, attachment. Malkuth is seen as the 'receptacle' for these energies, so it's often understood as the physical body itself.

While the first 3 ideas are quite easy to understand, the 7 sephiroth are more nebulous and you'll generally find many different types of interpretation.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 06:18 PM
    link   
    What's really interesting about the "mouth tissue" fact is that the bible says that the "Word" is God. Words are formed in the mouth so to speak. God is also referred to as light as well, and the pineal gland is what perceives light. Could there be a connection there?

Very interesting, S&F.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 06:30 PM
    link   
    reply to post by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

didn't want to go to far but what if applied to say another animal the same intelligent like mouth data processor being moved to brain area would outcome be similar.

Then this came to MIND
    human looking ANNUNAKI depiction

human looking being with cone shaped thing near his?

FEATHERED depicted ANNUNAKI were feathers on the moon ? another thread OP

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 06:31 PM
    link   
    Something else that's interesting.

Genesis 32
    30 So Jacob called the place Peniel, saying, "It is because I saw God face to face, and yet my life was spared."

Peniel is where Jacob saw God face to face. That's definitely not a coincidence.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 11:47 PM
    link   

Originally posted by Wandering Scribe

If, as your facts seem to indicate, the Pineal gland produces chemicals that cause spiritual experiences, then it would follow that spirituality is not a part of the Earth/Universe, but is in fact a projection of the mind. This would support my own personal stance that spirituality (religion, mysticism, magic) are not meant to be proselytized, or forced upon others', but simply experienced by you, the self.

i see where you're train of thought is going but let me posit this into your equation.

that it is the spirit, which communicates with the body. and reactions within are seen on the chemical level as chemical reactions. our flesh is a chemical existence. this would mean that the body would not be performing chemical reactions without the spirit present. and it doesnt. as we see when someone dies because it is decided the vehicle is beyond repair.

when we put the body to sleep, and the spirit is able to wander. the pineal acts only as an eye able to peek at what the spirit is doing. unless we can become one with the consciousness by shifting from the ego consciousness into the soul intellect. it is this process and how successful which determines how lucid you are.

if you were correct in your assertion we should be able to recreate the chemical reactions in a lab and get a 5 minute video clip.

the 11 sephirot are the milestones on the path to enlightenment. but look at this, they are upside down. this is a common little riddle in ancient secrets. it is an ascribing to the in/out/in/out weaving of primal forces.

1 Keter-"Crown"
    2 Chokhmah-"Wisdom"
    3 Binah-"Understanding"
    4 Chesed-"Kindness"
    5 Gevurah-"Severity"
    6 Tiferet-"Beauty"
    (Secondary emotions

7 Netzach-"Eternity"
    8 Hod-"Splendour"
    9 Yesod-"Foundation"
    (Vessel to bring action

10 Malkuth-"Kingship"

if you read them backwards from number 10 go up. this is how you climb the tree of life by passing through these stages in evolution of mind and understanding.

Keter is between Chokmah and Binah (with Chokmah on the right and Binah in the left). keter is the pineal gland with binah and chokmah being the left and right hemispheres of the brain. it is a direct reference to meditation as ive said long before. all religious scripture link back to ancient eastern philosophies and doctrines and even myths. one story, one goal for the human race. many different ways of putting it across forming multiple religions and cultures.

the tree of life is obviously the chakra system. lighting the eye, is lighting the lamp. when this is done, you will know that u never die. ur spirit has become self perpetuating! this is the teaching that must be brought to all mankind! we are born spiritually blind. and if we stay blind we will go into the next life blind as well. and in such a state it is just as if u do not exist. u would not be able to hear your own thoughts. when we complete the full brain development necessary, the vessel of flesh completes the eye and it is opened permanently. it is the same as "the completion of the temple". the "replacing of the pyramid capstone". "the lighting of the candle".

the arrangement of the dna creates the spirit, and it grows and learns through the body as it interfaces with it's environment. remember it is a brand new independent consciousness being born. they must work together, to open the eye so that the spirit will gain sight. this is our task and mission.

the sephirot is meant to represent a tree as it grows from the roots. we start from the bottom. i will now put it in order for you:

Malkuth - sits at the bottom and represents God's Divine Bride. this is to take up the path of righteousness. this gains the attention of the Holy Spirit. and the test begins if u are earnest in reducing your sins over time.

Yesod - The sephirah of Yesod translates spiritual concepts into actions that unite us with God. - wikipedia. this is about the choices we make in our lives and the good we do for others as well as our regard for nature. everything, like not littering etc.

Hod - is the stage of learning to trust the intuition. it is the growth in the belief of the hidden and unseen through faith and testing.

Netzach - is the understanding of infinity and the beginning of wisdom.

Tiferet - this stage is a stage of great confidence in the intuition. it is the stage where one has begun to understand the role of compassion and emotions in general in becoming of balanced mind. this makes you appear bright and smart and focused.

Gevurah - one has reached the point of resolve and great faith

Chesed - understanding true love

Binah and Chokmah reaches peak balance and lights the candle (keter).. or activates and opens the pineal.. and in so doing your spiritual eye. it is not just a physical growth development. but a spiritual one.

righteousness and meditation. its all about righteousness and meditation.
    edit on 20-7-2013 by filledcup because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-7-2013 by filledcup because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 12:00 AM
    link   

Although Paniel means "face of God" in Hebrew, the word pineal is derived from the French "pineal" lit. like a pine cone, which in turn is derived from the latin pinea - pine cone.

It's an interesting coincidence given the word 'panim' in Hebrew is related to the 'pnimuth' - "innerness". The 3 letter root Pey, Nun, Mem is the basis of both words. Paniel "face of God" implies an internalized connection with the divine. That the pineal happens to be implicated as the place where the divine interfaces with the physical, and shares the same basic phonetic sounds as the Hebrew Paniel, reminding us of a Biblical scene where Jacob directly experienced the divine, is a strange synchronicity indeed.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 12:19 AM
    link   

The pineal gland is shaped like a pine cone, and the pine cone has very deep roots in pretty much every religion in history.

I personally don't think the phonetical similarity is a coincidence at all.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 12:34 AM
    link   

Are you referring to the French word "pineal" as the source for the word pineal gland, or "panel", the Hebrew "face of God"?

I can't tell. You acknowledged the relevance of the pine cone in many different religious systems, implying the suitability of the etymology, and then go on to say that the phonetical similarity isn't a coincidence at all.

Again, I'm sorry If I'm misreading you - its late. I believe the correct etymology is the french pineal; by the process of elimination, the Hebrew "pan'el" is therefore coincidental.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 01:11 AM
    link   
    Don't forget the city of "Peniel" to the list.

Genesis 32:30
    "So Jacob called the place Peniel, saying, "It is because I saw God face to face, and yet my life was spared."

you all are starting to see now. very well!
    edit on 21-7-2013 by filledcup because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 01:52 AM
    link   

If you believe in coincidence when it comes to religion and language, then yes it would be a coincidence, but I don't believe something THAT obvious is coincidence especially since religion is involved.

Just my opinion though. If it is a coincidence, then it is very ironic.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 04:27 PM
    link   

Thank you for this information, Astrocyte.
    S&F

I have my own thread going at the moment on the pineal gland, www.abovetopsecret.com...
    This will be a great addition to my research on this subject.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join