It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Growing network of police license plate scanners now track your vehicle everywhere you go.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Anything over five days old isn't going to help anyone catch a criminal, except perhaps in the rarest of circumstances on one of those TV shows that glorify the police and the criminal justice system.

There are many things that such a system does, and most of them are bad for the average citizen.

How much money does this system cost so they can track down people who pay their registration late, or heaven forbid let their insurance relapse. You can bet the bureaucrats will use this system to suck out every dollar they can get from average citizens, to pay for their fat salaries and sweet pension plans.

Then of course, such a system is great to dig up mud on anyone who dares to challenge the system.

Our liberty is now on a starvation diet of water and bread.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pilgrum
reply to post by Shema

Tell me if you think it's nonsense after a close relative is run into by a young kid unlicensed and driving an unregistered death trap. You can try claiming compensation but let's presume that kid has no job, no assets to claim on because that's exactly what happened in my family. If the kid kills you he'll be charged with vehicular manslaughter and likely jailed eventually but your family will never see a cent. Business and property owners need to carry public liability insurance and so do drivers but of course, if you have nothing to lose but your life, then why worry about the effect of your actions on fellow citizens (that's twisted reasoning).

I am sorry to hear about about your reletive however you appear to have completely mis-read my post and I blame myself for not being more careful. Peace to you.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b
reply to post by stumason

WOW!!!

So you are quite fine with arresting someone, confiscating their property, panelling them as being a criminal, because they could possibly engage in behavior that might harm others?

I don't believe I even said any of those things, much less implied them. Where on earth did you get that from?

I am, however, quite ok for people being arrested for actually committing offences, such as driving without a license, not insured or not having a roadworthy vehicle which could be a risk to others.

All these things people are aware of prior to getting in a vehicle, so if they suffer the consequences that is their problem, not mine. The way you are making it out is if perfectly innocent people are being arrested because they might commit an offence.

As it stands, the ANPR in the UK will only flag your vehicle if you are already committing an offence - such as no MOT, no insurance, being wanted for another incident or not having a license.

posted on Jul, 21 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

You didn't use those exact words, but this is exactly what you are advocating, whether or not you realize this.

What you posted

Hmm, being drunk while in charge of a motor vehicle, at least in the UK, even if you're not actively driving it is still an offence.

The person isn't trying to hurt anyone, or score, or do anything wrong at all.

No one is being offended except those people who want to tell everyone else how to live their lives.

By your definition, anyone anywhere with a set of car keys in their pockets while drunk is an offender, and that is nonsense. What you advocate is making anyone who gets drunk into a criminal, and that is wrong.

I am, however, quite ok for people being arrested for actually committing offences, such as driving without a license, not insured or not having a roadworthy vehicle which could be a risk to others.

But the person you responded to did not commit any of these offenses.

The idea behind a drivers license is a good idea, but bureaucracies tend to take good ideas, and use them to screw over people. Do you recognize this? Driving without a license should only be an offense, if it is shown that the driver did something deserving of revocation of their drivers license. Here in the states it has become a scam to provide good paying government jobs to people, who know that screwing around with people increases their job security.

Insurance is a scam. Profiting off of the misery or others is what insurance companies do. They are also at the center of the global corporate hive.

Vehicles are dangerous, whether or not they are road worthy, the number one killer of young people here in the states. Allowing government bureaucracy to harass young people struggling to make it in this world, who are usually the victims of these types of government offenses, does not make the problem any better.

The way you are making it out is if perfectly innocent people are being arrested because they might commit an offence.

Ah yes, if you are not Perfectly Innocent, then it is alright for the government to arrest you because you might make an offense!!!!! If that is the case, then we should all be in jail.

As it stands, the ANPR in the UK will only flag your vehicle if you are already committing an offence...

By your definition of offense, that would be everyone in the UK.

Maybe you don't see this as a abuse of government power, but I certainly do.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 05:12 AM
link   

You didn't use those exact words, but this is exactly what you are advocating, whether or not you realize this.

Only if you twist what I said, like below....

The person isn't trying to hurt anyone, or score, or do anything wrong at all.

No one is being offended except those people who want to tell everyone else how to live their lives.

By your definition, anyone anywhere with a set of car keys in their pockets while drunk is an offender, and that is nonsense. What you advocate is making anyone who gets drunk into a criminal, and that is wrong.

First of all, it isn't "my definition", but rather how the law is in the UK and, quite frankly, across large swathes of the planet.

But no, you cannot be arrested for being drunk in charge of a motor vehicle simply by being in possession of your keys. I quite clearly stated that that being in the car, whether you are driving it or just sat there stationary is the offence and also elaborated that to avoid being done for it, placing the keys outside the car, such as in the tailpipe is sufficient to show the Police you had no intention to drive.

However, if you are driving the vehicle while drunk, you should have the book thrown at you.

But the person you responded to did not commit any of these offenses.

The person I responded to stated quite simply they had got arrested for being in their car sleeping while drunk and got done for it, I simply elaborated on that by saying that is too an offence in the UK if you cannot demonstrate you had no intention to drive. That's it- you're the one stretching it out to try and fit your argument, I never said he committed any of those offences either.

The idea behind a drivers license is a good idea, but bureaucracies tend to take good ideas, and use them to screw over people. Do you recognize this? Driving without a license should only be an offense, if it is shown that the driver did something deserving of revocation of their drivers license.

I strongly disagree. Driving without a license means you haven't had the necessary tuition to safely operate a vehicle. To use your own wonky logic, you would see it as perfectly acceptable to fly a plane without any training just so long as you don't crash it! An absurd notion!

Insurance is a scam. Profiting off of the misery or others is what insurance companies do. They are also at the center of the global corporate hive.

Until your hit by someone and need your car fixing! I'd rather pay a few hundred quid a year in insurance and be protected against anything happening to my vehicle, rather than have to fork out thousands of my own money! There is also the fact that should I injure someone, I am covered, whereas if I am not insured then that person has to sue me, which would be fruitless as I will not be able to come up with the money and they'd be left to deal with their injuries without any compensation. You might think it a scam, but it actually serves a purpose.

Vehicles are dangerous, whether or not they are road worthy, the number one killer of young people here in the states. Allowing government bureaucracy to harass young people struggling to make it in this world, who are usually the victims of these types of government offenses, does not make the problem any better.

Exactly, driving a vehicle is a dangerous thing, so why make it worse by having drivers with no training (as you seem to advocate!), insurance (so no compo for anyone injured) or by having unroadworthy vehicles?

Ah yes, if you are not Perfectly Innocent, then it is alright for the government to arrest you because you might make an offense!!!!! If that is the case, then we should all be in jail.

Er, no. That's not even close to what I said and it is obvious you are just twisting what I have said to fit your own agenda.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join