It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 5 Biggest Obscenities of Capitalism Today

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by FyreByrd

Funny how you ask Xuenchen for a source less general than Marx' Manifest (in context of its influence on central banking) but then you use the boardgame mononpoly (of all things...) as an example for "Capitalism".

*Fastest way to dismiss Monopoly as an example for Capitalism btw:
- Just read its rules for "what happens if the bank runs out of money?"...
edit on 17-7-2013 by ColCurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 06:49 AM
link   
I am beginning to think that a "free market" cannot stand in a moral based variant of democracy like our democratic republic. Take the lowly comic book for example. All it took was horror comics to start flying off the shelf and then you had a segment of this society petition the government to outlaw these comic books "for the greater good". You had The Comics Code Authority spring up to force a whole genres of comics to disappear from the shelves almost overnight.

The movie industry is the same way. After 1934 "Freaks" came out there was an outcry from certain segments of society which caused the MPAA to spring into being "for the greater good" and if a movie was too distasteful in the eyes of a select few you had censorship and/or a death toll Rated X which relegated movies to obscurity.

Everyone also knows about Prohibition, where a segment of society thought it was a good idea to prohibit the consumption of spirits.

Free Market is a pipe dream in this puritanical based society. There will be no such thing. Why do you think there is a black market to begin with where people can buy products and services "under the radar" so to speak. If we had a true "free market" then anyone could produce a product or devise a service that would be open to everyone and the market would decide if it did well or not.

Also, let's face it. The only "choice" you have is in Walmart shelves, car dealerships, gas stations, insurance companies and other such entities. Interesting that pretty much all these places are priced in around the same. I have to laugh every time I see the insurance companies advertise that all of them can save $400+ bucks on my car insurance. Which insurance company charges this $400 bucks more as a baseline which Allstate, Progressive et al can make these claims? Shop for gas? Pfft... all the gas stations in my neck of the woods charge within a few pennies of each other and if I go out of my neck of the woods for cheaper gas I end up burning up the savings by the distance travelled to purchase the gas at a lower price.

Electricity? Think I have a choice? I live within a few miles of two hydroelectric dams that were built in the 1950's. I only have 1 choice to power my home unless I have the money to go "off the grid". I am thinking that I should have savings now that these dams are paid for and maintenance should be the only real overhead. My bill continues to rise because I have to subsidize this companys expansion for greater market share and profits.

I was sitting in the DMV the other day to get tags on a Jeep I just purchased. I sat for almost two hours and a thought occurred to me. If TIME=MONEY, why can't I send the DMV a bill for my time wasted waiting on their service? Obviously I am paying them for their time, why can't they pay me for mine? Think about that when you are sitting waiting for them to change a timing belt or somesuchstuff on your car and you are sitting there flipping through dated magazines in a "waiting area". Why can't I get paid for my time? How about that hour I waste going back and forth to work each day. Obviously I am on company time since I cannot do anything else with that time and it is for company purposes. They sure can be pissy if I am late with "their" expectations of my time... why can't I get pissy with mine?

I'm starting to rant but I know the whole system is rigged. I haven't even started on the Big Banks/Business/MIC crap because pretty much everyone knows something is not right. I wish I knew the answers.

It is a mess...

Time for another cup of coffee....

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by ColCurious
reply to post by FyreByrd

Funny how you ask Xuenchen for a source less general than Marx' Manifest (in context of its influence on central banking) but then you use the boardgame mononpoly (of all things...) as an example for "Capitalism".

*Fastest way to dismiss Monopoly as an example for Capitalism btw:
- Just read its rules for "what happens if the bank runs out of money?"...
edit on 17-7-2013 by ColCurious because: (no reason given)

Good point. My intent was a specific example that everyone (mostly) knows about vs. a broad statement of fact based on a work that not many people have actually read or can specifically site.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join