It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Christianity a Religion of War?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by borntowatch

Originally posted by MichaelPMaccabee

You can see it that way if you like.
Christians want Christ to return to bring about justice and a return to peace.
The world will find its way to near destruction before this happens. Yes I want that, my reasons are so peace can reign under Jesus

Is it a religion of war? Hardly. and your view that it is is near sighted. Christ's return ends all conflict once and for all.
The world will play out its role and many will die because humanity is corrupt, Christ will return and bring peace. With out Christ there is no peace.

Just so I am clear on your postion; You are a Christian that wants humanity to come to the brink of destruction so that Jesus can return and save you because you feel that humanity cannot attain peace without the intervention of Jesus.

Just so we are clear.
I want people to live together in peace and love, if humanity cant do this on their own then I welcome a God who can orchestrate it for us

Its blatantly clear we as humanity, me included, cant live in peace, not just war but in our every day lives.So I am praying for righteous judgement. mercy and grace

Just so we are all clear, do you deny this world is over run with evil?

If you would like to discuss my beliefs on the concept of evil, please make a thread addressing it, and I would be happy to answer your questions. This thread is about whether or not Christianity is a religion of War.

Was my assessment of your previous post valid?

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealTruthSeeker

Originally posted by ChristianJihad

Jesus has the answer for this -

But those my enemies, who would not that I should reign over them, bring here, and slay them before me.

Problem solved I think

And this quote comes from where?

It's Luke 19:27.

Do you know what a parable is, do you understand the context
Does not even the US government recognise that treason is a crime.

If you dont want the King to be your king you will be banished from life. Its that simple, you choose.

I addressed this parable in my opening. Funny you should mention the US Government and Treason. Like Jesus is offering in his parable, the punishment for treason is death. However, we are not discussing 'treason'. We are discussing disbelief. We are discussing the punishment for non-compliance with a religion, and that punishment is spelled out multiple times in the bible.

Death.

ETA:

I like your euphemism "banished from life", it is a warm and fuzzy way of saying, "Either obey Jesus or die."
edit on 13-7-2013 by MichaelPMaccabee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   
The problem here is that we wouldn't have to go to war if the world was already at peace. How is it possible to bring peace to a world who knows nothing but war without a starting a war yourself? There will always be peace breakers, until someone with enough power has full control of the earth.

Christianity is not about war even though some take it that way. Who are the ones starting wars on earth right now? Can you honestly say it's the Christians?

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   

The world will find its way to near destruction before this happens. Yes I want that, my reasons are so peace can reign under Jesus

Is it a religion of war? Hardly. and your view that it is is near sighted. Christ's return ends all conflict once and for all.
The world will play out its role and many will die because humanity is corrupt, Christ will return and bring peace. With out Christ there is no peace.

Just so I am clear on your postion; You are a Christian that wants humanity to come to the brink of destruction so that Jesus can return and save you because you feel that humanity cannot attain peace without the intervention of Jesus.

Just so we are clear.
I want people to live together in peace and love, if humanity cant do this on their own then I welcome a God who can orchestrate it for us

Its blatantly clear we as humanity, me included, cant live in peace, not just war but in our every day lives.So I am praying for righteous judgement. mercy and grace

Just so we are all clear, do you deny this world is over run with evil?

If you would like to discuss my beliefs on the concept of evil, please make a thread addressing it, and I would be happy to answer your questions. This thread is about whether or not Christianity is a religion of War.

Was my assessment of your previous post valid?

No I explained why your assessment was wrong, also explained why your understanding of religion of war was wrong as well.
Need me to do it again?

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   

The problem here is that we wouldn't have to go to war if the world was already at peace. How is it possible to bring peace to a world who knows nothing but war without a starting a war yourself? There will always be peace breakers, until someone with enough power has full control of the earth.

Christianity is not about war even though some take it that way. Who are the ones starting wars on earth right now? Can you honestly say it's the Christians?

No, the problem here is that Christianity shoots humanity in the foot by stating that peace is unattainable without the help of Jesus. Christianity cannot believe in a lasting peace because it goes against the tenants of its doctrine. Christianity has a doctrine that includes the Warrior God coming in to conquer and kill, not teach and love. Judgement, not Understanding. Conflict over Peace. Peace only comes to those that believe in Jesus, and that only comes after he has killed everyone else in bloody war.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   

But those my enemies, who would not that I should reign over them, bring here, and slay them before me.

Problem solved I think

And this quote comes from where?

It's Luke 19:27.

Do you know what a parable is, do you understand the context
Does not even the US government recognise that treason is a crime.

If you dont want the King to be your king you will be banished from life. Its that simple, you choose.

I addressed this parable in my opening. Funny you should mention the US Government and Treason. Like Jesus is offering in his parable, the punishment for treason is death. However, we are not discussing 'treason'. We are discussing disbelief. We are discussing the punishment for non-compliance with a religion, and that punishment is spelled out multiple times in the bible.

Death.

ETA:

I like your euphemism "banished from life", it is a warm and fuzzy way of saying, "Either obey Jesus or die."

Banished from life is death, banished from Gods kingdom.
Banished from life is no warm fuzzy dear friend

Accept the King or prepare for judgement and death.
The bible is clear and I make no excuses for it.

and it has nothing to do with non compliance with a religion, its a non compliance with Jesus.

All Christ asked is that we accept He died to forgive our sin and love one another.
If thats to much then fine,

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   

No I explained why your assessment was wrong, also explained why your understanding of religion of war was wrong as well.
Need me to do it again?

Yes I do.

From that I took out these points.

1. Christians want Christ to return
2. The world will find its way to near destruction before this happens.
3. I want that.
4. With out [sic] Christ there is no peace.

Then I made this assessment of your post.

You are a Christian that wants humanity to come to the brink of destruction so that Jesus can return and save you because you feel that humanity cannot attain peace without the intervention of Jesus.

How was I my assessment wrong?

ETA:

Nevermind: You have made your point and mine perfectly clear in your last post.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I know humanity cant do it by itself, history proves it
I know the world will destroy itself, it is happening now.

I want Christ to return to bring judgement and peace.

I see no other options

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   

No, the problem here is that Christianity shoots humanity in the foot by stating that peace is unattainable without the help of Jesus. Christianity cannot believe in a lasting peace because it goes against the tenants of its doctrine. Christianity has a doctrine that includes the Warrior God coming in to conquer and kill, not teach and love. Judgement, not Understanding. Conflict over Peace. Peace only comes to those that believe in Jesus, and that only comes after he has killed everyone else in bloody war.

No offence, but where do you get the idea that when Jesus returns He'll go to war? From what I know, when Jesus returns it is done in a blink of eye. I won't go into full detail because that is not the point of this thread.

Anyway, let's go deeper. Christians who have full faith in Christ are already at peace. "For He Himself is our peace, who has made both one, and has broken down the middle wall of separation", ... Ephesians 2:14

You are right when you say that the world will never be peaceful unless Christ returns. However, those who believe in Christ are at peace already in their hearts. Those who do not have this kind of peace will always be at war, whether it be physical or a war in their mind.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Revelations 19 The Rider on the White Horse
11And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat on him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he does judge and make war. 12His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself. 13And he was clothed with a clothing dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God. …

Yes Jesus will go to war against those who defy Him at Megiddo
www.bible-teaching-about.com...

Make no mistake God is a warrior and there will be a war of destruction based on judgement in the final hours.

The war will be the last action before peace reigns on earth

Thy Kingdom come.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   

No offence, but where do you get the idea that when Jesus returns He'll go to war? From what I know, when Jesus returns it is done in a blink of eye. I won't go into full detail because that is not the point of this thread.

Anyway, let's go deeper. Christians who have full faith in Christ are already at peace. "For He Himself is our peace, who has made both one, and has broken down the middle wall of separation", ... Ephesians 2:14

You are right when you say that the world will never be peaceful unless Christ returns. However, those who believe in Christ are at peace already in their hearts. Those who do not have this kind of peace will always be at war, whether it be physical or a war in their mind.

Rev. 19:11-16 discusses Jesus' return astride a horse with an army of angels. The knowledge of his return will be instantaneous, but there will be armies to defeat. It's all laid out in Revelation.

Don't misunderstand me, I am not stating that the world will not be at peace unless Christ returns. I am stating that this is Christian belief. You state that those with Jesus in their hearts are already at peace in their hearts, and yet so many that make war are Christians, and have been throughout the centuries.

Do Christians hope that the next war brings Jesus? If they do, does that make Christianity a religion that wants war?

Christianity needs war for Jesus to return. If there are no wars, prophecy cannot be fulfilled. Does a prophecy that calls for war hinder attempts at peace if Christians don't really believe it is possible to attain peace without Jesus?

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by borntowatch

Yeah, I posted that passage in the OP. Thanks for continuing to contribute.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   

I am not at peace with this world, I am at peace with Christ bringing justice and my salvation, but not at peace with this world.
I hate the injustice of this world, the evil.

If I was at peace with this world I would not be looking forward to Christ's return
Why would Christ return if we have so much peace now.

We are at peace with God through Jesus at Calvary, not with this world and the evil. Jesus is not at peace with the world, how can we be?

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Do Christians hope that the next war brings Jesus? If they do, does that make Christianity a religion that wants war?

Christianity needs war for Jesus to return. If there are no wars, prophecy cannot be fulfilled. Does a prophecy that calls for war hinder attempts at peace if Christians don't really believe it is possible to attain peace without Jesus?

Do Christians hope that the next war brings Jesus? Yes

does that make Christianity a religion that wants war? No, war is inevitable, the hope is it is the last war

Prophecy doesnt call for war, it foretells of war.
edit on 13-7-2013 by borntowatch because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Problem solved I think

May I ask where this quote is from?

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by guitarplayer

Problem solved I think

May I ask where this quote is from?

Please read the thread. This is already answered. It is actually in the OP of the thread as well.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by MichaelPMaccabee

Considering im not Christian its not my place to argue what the intentions of said religion are... But you do know that passage from luke is a parable right?

The line right beneath the passage makes me wonder...

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon

Considering im not Christian its not my place to argue what the intentions of said religion are... But you do know that passage from luke is a parable right?

The line right beneath the passage makes me wonder...

You mean this line..

Here we have Jesus setting himself up in a parable as King, clearly discussing what should happen to non-believers.

..where I state that the line is a parable? A parable is an analogy. In the analogy in question, Jesus is setting himself up as the King. This not merely my opinion of the parable, this is the opinion of so many scholars throughout history that a dissenting opinion doesn't have much merit in this instance.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Perhaps, but its an allegorical story...

He wasn't saying non believers should be killed... that would contradict the "love your neighbour" thing...

IF that's what you were implying in the OP

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Ok what your point? Christ created all things everything is His and in Revelations it says that every knee shall bow and every one shall confess and all the people not found in the book of life will be thrown into the lake of fire. Christ is not telling his people subugate the world by the sword and if they do not convert to kill them. And as someone else said this is a parable of the endtime of when Christ will return. At that time the world will be in such a state not because of the Christians but because of the anti-christ.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join