It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One dies, three other Louisianans sickened after swimming in Gulf

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Seems as though my state coastal waters have been stricken with a deadly bacteria.

Grand Isle, La. - The death of one person and the physical battle three others face because of flesh-eating bacteria have some people reconsidering their holiday weekend plans to swim in the salt and brackish waters of south Louisiana.

The Department of Health and Hospitals conducts tests at 25 state beaches, and has issued advisories at 14 of them, but none has to do with the flesh eating bacteria.' Those 14 beaches have been closed for other reasons, but Vibrio, can strike anywhere along the coast, with cases so far, coming from across the state, including New Orleans, Thibodaux, Baton Rouge, and Lake Charles.

www.fox8live.com...

Now all these cities noted in this news article are a considerable distance from the Gulf ranging from 10-50 miles inland. I myself live in Thibodaux and we have Bayou Lafourche passes straight through the city. I jumped in drunk one night and sliced my foot open on something. Not the smartest of ideas. Unfortunately, I had three different bacterial infections in my foot and the wound not heal. The whole point of this story is that all these cities have the same thing in common and that is being on the waterfront.

New Orleans and Baton Rouge is directly on the Mississippi, while Thibodaux is on the bayou which is a tributary of the Mississippi. They all get the runoff of all drainage from north to south. Though some may not think it is a big deal, it flushes straight into the gulf. Sad enough we do have to deal with it. It creates dead zones that only bread algae and bacteria.

en.wikipedia.org...

The root cause is farm runoff of fertilizers created by the companies that have their plants at the mouth of the river they are destroying.

Sorry, everyday I just think about how our state is being destroyed more and more. Oil spill here, canal cutting here, hurricane there, oh look a sinkhole, oh snap is that a whirlpool?, and can't forget about the coastal erosion. All man made disasters (hurricanes are left up in the air, see what I did there?).
edit on 3-7-2013 by CajunBoy because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-7-2013 by CajunBoy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Also would like to add this year's dead zone will be the record.

www.theepochtimes.com...

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 03:12 AM
link   
It really is tragic and saddening to see the Earth crumbling in the name of progress.

Are you eating the seafood?

What role if any do you think corexit plays, is it still there? Is the oil still visible, or inside of organisms? Do you get bad/chemical smells in the air still?

Lastly, would you say the waters are warmer than usual? (which may be a factor in the large outbreaks of bacteria)

Thanks for posting this, I hope your foot gets better.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Philippines

I believe this has something to do with obozo's want to make the gulf of mexico into a huge algae pit to "offset carbon taxes" for his ignorant global warming hoax.

He's brought this crap up again, amongst all of his administration's scandals.

All it is, is pollution - propagated by BP and the chemical plants along the lower Mississippi - the real problem - that Monsanto is making trillions off of.

Make the connections......

Only in a liberal mind would man-made pollution and CO2 (which plants take in and return oxygen from) be a "world taxable problem"

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by CajunBoy

I bet these people wont have enough wits to make the link between the oil spills and these deaths. And you wonder why nothing is being done about it or why these ugly damn corporations do whatever they want without worry or why fukushima was already forgotten even though it is the worse disaster that ever happened? Please...

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   
After that enormous oil spill, I wouldn't step a foot into the Gulf. They can continue to promote that the Gulf is safe, but with all that oil and the amount of chemicals they dumped in that body of water, you have to be naive to think it's safe to eat the seafood and swim.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
You can't really relate the oil spill with these deaths. This bacteria forms every year, but this season has seen a rise in the bacteria. It also correlates to the record setting size of the dead zone. The dead zone is inadvertently caused by the companies on the river that makes the fertilizers.

Yes I do eat the sea food and I am still health.

Yes the water is a little warmer than usual.

As for the negative effect of corexit, I can not say for certain. Tar balls still wash up time to time but that is natural.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   
BP is committed to Gulf restoration....haven't you people paid attention to the propaganda put out by the Ministry of Truth? Yes it's perfectly safe to eat all the Gulf of Mexico seafood you want....it's already been marinated in crude oil and Corexit....mmm boy...I gaurontee!

www.bp.com...
edit on 4-7-2013 by HUMBLEONE because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by HUMBLEONE

I've yet to experience any negative effect of eating seafood. I've am actually eating shrimp this 4th of July.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   

I lived in Thibodaux twice back in the early 80's and again in the early 90's, when the police still drove around in old school Chevy's with a single light on top, it was a beautiful town back then. I was in a group home called Powerhouse and went to high school out there in the 80's I liked it so much I moved back for a time in the 90's. Worked at Browns Furniture delivering couches for 3.25 an hour. It's a shame to hear that things are getting bad out there I have fond memories of that area.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by PRwood

To give you a general idea. Cops became horrid, subdivision going up everywhere. Houma is four times bigger than Thibodaux now. Thibodaux and E.D.White high schools all added on in the last 10 years. It isn't a town anymore lol.
edit on 4-7-2013 by CajunBoy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
You guys are not going to make that FISA judge take time out of his busy schedule spying with the NSA to come down there again are you?

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Wow, I always remember Houma/ Grey Bayou being bigger we used to head there every weekend to see a movie at the mall, what about Chackbay that was still pretty backwoods when I was out there? I imagine that has fallen apart also.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   

I remember the Halloween ritual for the kids out there -LOL

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by PRwood

Wow, I always remember Houma/ Grey Bayou being bigger we used to head there every weekend to see a movie at the mall, what about Chackbay that was still pretty backwoods when I was out there? I imagine that has fallen apart also.

Houma blew up, it is essentially a boom town. Shipyards all over, that and the oil industry is having a big boom with deep water drilling. Houma all the way to Thibodaux is industrial. BP's Louisiana headquaters is now on 311 in Grey.

As for Chackbay Choupic and Choctaw. All back woods still.

Industry is going up, spite what happened during the moratorium.

Just because of all this buildup, more and more people are moving down here and are subjected to all these risk now.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Caw, that sucks bra I remember Thibodaux as a small little church going community, gangs were a joke and really just wannabees. and Wal-mart was still just a small little country Dept. store. We used to hang out at a local pool hall and on the bayou throwing rocks at the snapping turtles, and running a muck in the local grave yard, of course we were just kids back then. There was one taxi driver an old gay dude-lol. a little drug store/ pharmacy in the center of town, I remember when they came to film the movie Fletch with Chevy Chase it was like a huge deal for the whole town. That's really sad to hear.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   
To get this thread somewhat back on track. These fertilizer companies and agri-chemical companies are not destroying maybe our health but out environment wherever these chemicals run off to

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Its a shame but even if the responsible Mega Corps were dismantled, it would take generations for the damage to reversed. And even if laws were passed banning irresponsible behavior such as dumping waste materials into the waterways doesn't necessarily mean the corporations would abide by said laws. Wasn't Corexit supposedly banned for use in the initial cleanup but used anyways regardless of the negative environmental and health effects on the population. I believe I heard somewhere that Dick Cheney owned the company that produced the chemical Corexit.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Heard of a few people getting sick after swimming at gulf shores here in Mississippi. Not to mention the unusual amount of jellyfish. But no problems with seafood so far or that I have heard of. Shrimp is still great.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
The Mississippi river is a giant sewer line running into the gulf.
It has more chemicals, fertilizer, human waste, bacteria and industrial dumping than ever in history.
Add in a lot of heat and stagnant brackish waters without enough salinity to knock down bacteria and you get this kind of thing.
I knew a guy who was fishing in a shallow back bay down near Matagorta who got a small scratch. He was dead in 24 hours from a serious infection.
That was 16 years ago and the area was a wildlife preserve with much cleaner conditions than a swamp full of simmmering Mississippi runoff.

Mother nature isn't benevolent.

This stuff happens and people need to be more aware of it.

As far as seafood goes. I'm surprised that fish still procreate in the gulf as full as it is of prozac and birth controll from human waste.

You'd think they were too relaxed to spawn even if they were still fertile.

edit on 4-7-2013 by badgerprints because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join