It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by iunlimited491

No. But the discrepancy between right and wrong is.

I mentioned that the law can be difficult to understand...

Discrepancies like when the IRS targets certain political affiliated groups and audits or unjustly crucifies/vilifies them? Kind of like this one.

If the agencies that are entrusted with upholding the law, are not upholding it themselves, you have no rule of law. You have arbitrary prosecution. Which is what law was originally intended to stop.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by iunlimited491

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

So do you see? Laws are nowhere near common sense.

No. But the discrepancy between right and wrong is.

I mentioned that the law can be difficult to understand...
Your OP doesn't provide a situation, and I said that's what it depends on.

In most cases -
people should know the rules of what they're partaking in.

Otherwise, they really don't have anyone to blame but themselves.

I can provide a situation for you.

I lived in Indiana at the time ( 2007 or 2008), where I can access any open wifi network, no problems.

I went to florida on vacation, I almost got in alot of trouble, ( felony trouble) because florida passed some messed up law, where a wifi "owner" must know your using and provide you "permission" to use their wifi.

For example, I was on the side walk bench with my laptop, and had a wireless card inserted, I was offline thankfully, when an officer walked up and asked what I was doing.

I said nothing just going over my playlist for my MP3 player.

He made me show him what I was doing, and prove I was not accessing wifi, because I had the wireless card inserted.

Then he informed me that unauthorized access to wifi in florida is a felony offense......

WTF!!!!!

How was I suppossed to know that mcdonalds doesnt have Free wifi like in every other state?

On April 21, Richard Dinon of St. Petersburg, Florida, called police after he saw Smith in a car on the street outside his house using a notebook computer. Smith, 40, was arrested and charged with a felony under a Florida law that prohibits unauthorized access to a computer or network, according to police. A pretrial hearing is set for September 8. In July, a court in Isleworth convicted Straszkiewicz of using a laptop to access the Internet over unprotected residential wireless LANs on several occasions. He was fined $874 and got a 12-month conditional discharge

www.pcworld.com...

Am I the only one that thinks things like this are beyond retarded?
edit on 30-6-2013 by inverslyproportional because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I'm not comparing and contrasting criminal law v.s. tax law.
I wasn't even talking about 'tax law' until the OP replied using it as an example...

I wanted to know the direct point of what he was trying to get say. That way I could understand the exact type of scenarios he was referring to. I say these things in almost every post. "It depends" etc. etc.

My posts were referring to the law in general - "ignorance of the law is no excuse."
In the OP it says nothing about what kind of laws he's referring to.

edit on 30-6-2013 by iunlimited491 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by iunlimited491
reply to post by boncho

I'm not comparing and contrasting criminal law v.s. tax law.
I wasn't even talking about 'tax law' until the OP replied using it as an example...

I wanted to know the direct point of what he was trying to get say. That way I could understand the exact type of scenarios he was referring to. I say these things in almost every post. "It depends" etc. etc.

My posts were referring to the law in general - "ignorance of the law is no excuse."
In the OP it says nothing about what kind of laws he's referring to.

edit on 30-6-2013 by iunlimited491 because: (no reason given)

I didnt specify. I mean all laws.

They are an albatross whose weight is becoming a bit much to bear. THen to have a smug judge throw THAT line at you....

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

There shouldnt be 600,000 laws in a free country thats for damn sure.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Nephalim

Free nation???.
Surely you jest!!!

No matter how you slice it, every nation on Earth falls behind the US in prisoners. We are the most imprisoned nation on Earth.

"Freest nation on Earth" is one of those Orwellian terms. Like "Ministry of Truth" is responsible for lying.....

edit on 30-6-2013 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 04:24 AM
link   

edit on 1-7-2013 by iunlimited491 because: (typo above)

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

Free nation???.
Surely you jest!!!

No matter how you slice it, every nation on Earth falls behind the US in prisoners. We are the most imprisoned nation on Earth.

"Freest nation on Earth" is one of those Orwellian terms. Like "Ministry of Truth" is responsible for lying.....

edit on 30-6-2013 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

Have some faith

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Did you click the link?

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I know about our prison population issue.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nephalim
I know about our prison population issue.

Then why ask me to have faith?

We have how many men and women wrongfully imprisoned in the US?

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Because, free men make their own decisions. that doesnt mean theyre always the right decisions let alone decisions the public will support. None the less, a individual cannot be controlled in every minute of the hour and, during times of weakness, the will sometimes falters and buckles. We all make mistakes.

The question you should ask yourself is, should that person be locked up for it, and how long according to his actions. Yes?

As to the issue of hundreds of thousands of laws. I could only believe that its pretty much impossible to know whether or not youre breaking 600k laws. So, I would suggest law reform. Laws should be simplified and few so that every man knows whether he/she breaks the law or not. Laws in excess should be done away with, if they apply to a law that already deals with the same issue. No? One could possibly imagine a small set of laws that could be ratified by the states if they chose to.

Sentencing should be restructured as well. What good does it do to issue a sentence of life, and then hold that person for the rest of it? Life sentences are for the most heinous of crimes, and are issued to separate those who commit the worst acts in society, from society.

The rest of crime should be looked at as such: Violent or non violent. Harm or no harm. Intention. and the punishments or lack there of should be determined by that, not by 600,000 laws written for 600k individual issues.

Furthermore, how many laws should be federal with the exception of a few that pertain to immigration and the charters of freedom? If 100% of all laws are broken in STATES.

Look at this.
I will not kill
I will not lie
I will not steal or cheat.
I will take a day off to be with my family.
I will not destroy the earth in a harmful manner.
I will respect the inalienable rights of every person.
I will help to create a safe environment for all people.
I will share when appropriate and when Im able, and withhold from all when appropriate if I'm not able to share.
I shall not be penalized for defending life nor promoting good will.
I will serve on a jury, serve as a witness, and I will vote.

I will obey these 10 laws for the common good so long as one law or all of these laws does not cause me injury or harm to life or limb.

How many people can stay out of prison if they can obey ten simple laws that can be displayed anywhere and everywhere for all to see? How many sentences does society need to create for ten laws? Fines, short incarcerations, medium incarcerations and life and death. How many people cannot agree to ten simple laws?
edit on 2-7-2013 by Nephalim because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by inverslyproportional

Am I the only one that thinks things like this are beyond retarded?

Unfortunately, people will argue "Just because I leave my keys in the car, doesn't mean someone can drive it."
The two are hardly similar though.

I would compare it more like leaving your hose on and someone pulling up to fill a bucket of water. Turn the water off. Lock out random people by making your network password protected, dear lord.

No one should be getting felony charges for this.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   

You and I agree on the goal. I just have no faith that we will ever really get there.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join