It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can ATS Do Better?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   
When I first found ATS it was more about real time reporting of strange and important events. The community shared ideas without slander and cutting dividing lines. It was a place of free thinking without emotion ruling comments and responses. Did ATS sell out allowing the ability to profile a member by their emotional responses? To categorize those who are for or against the controlling factors in this country can be evaluated by posts and replies. Posts can be baited to bring forth such responses. Have people become so programed to respond emotionally without thinking? It seems ATS has lost the common glue that made it a community...the truth is out there and we are going to find it together!

Has this become a society that everyone can be manipulated through threat and under handed tactics? Have they blocked the ability to find truth by making it all opinion and about feelings? Has ATS become so diluted that there is no direction or common thread left? Did ATS sell out to masking and hiding the truth through diversity, emotion ruling responses and eliminating real time reports of critical events?

I remember real time posts of events. When a meteor went across the western states and landed in Vegas, real time reports of government vehicles taking away a green glowing meteor was very interesting. When things happened, people from all over the country gave reports of what they saw and heard that never made it to the 5 o'clock news. A line of communication in real time was the best of ATS. Where did it go? Real time reports are pieces of truth that cannot be found anywhere else. We are blind sided without it.

I wish ATS would promote and amplify a section for "real time events" so when TSHTF we can have information that can save us. Without this valuable asset to ATS, it makes me wonder...Did ATS sell out?

edit on 6-30-2013 by Springer because: edited title to more accurately reflect content

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Avoiceinthewilderness

ATS is of course a compilation of user generated content.

If you are concerned about the direction ATS is going, look to the threads our fellow conspirasizers are posting.
But keep in mind, it is summertime. Lots of bored kids with nothing better to do than troll ATS around.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

Yes it happens every year and has been that way for as long as I can remember. During times when school is out it seems the trolls congregate and there is a change in the types of posts and quality of replies.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I originally joined in 2007, because I was amazed at the wealth of quality posts I found on myriad subjects.

That has all changed, and honestly I believe I only come here any more because of some weird addiction like behavior.

They don't require any substance to posting any more. They do not allow you to speak about truly important issues.

"Deny Ignorance," my left foot.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
So your title doesn't really match the gist of your thread.
But the body of your post, especially the last line, is a good idea.
Real-time event reporting is one of my favorite things about ATS.

Seems that it easy to get bogged down on the tiniest of details, when it comes to topics that are close to us.
Which in turn makes us miss the fact that the world continues to turn, and we miss the forest for the trees.

You should post more too! Add to the thing that you enjoy. Set an example by posting the kind of things you enjoy reading.
edit on 29-6-2013 by spacedoubt because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn
But keep in mind, it is summertime. Lots of bored kids with nothing better to do than troll ATS around.

Oh man ... so true. You can set your clock by it. Every year it's the same.

That being said ... ATS sell out ... the title doesnt' really match what was in the opening post .. unless I"m reading it wrong. the one thing in the opening post that I think I'll comment on is the question .. does ATS manipulate. (something like that).

I'm of the opinion that 'stars' and 'karma' etc are group think manipulation.
Not group think on purpose by ATS. But it's just what happens when it's there. IMHO.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   

It depends on the event.
If something happens that is an ongoing situation; ATS is still the best source for information.

Take the Boston Bombing manhunt for example:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

This is the very essence of what you're talking about.
ATS provided real-time coverage of a situation, that even the media had trouble keeping up with.

No where else, would you find such a repository of resources to follow the breaking situation.
Every post made in that thread is a real-time, up to the second, update on what was happening - as it happened.

Of course it's entertaining.
But threads like that only happen depending on what the story is.

I know that ATS will continue to be the best source for Breaking News.
And if a situation arises that requires it - real-time updates will be included.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Did ATS Sell Out?

Briefly?

I've had my rounds here but... I come back and that's because ATS is first and foremost one place on the web where one can talk about many, many things that don't make the grade anywhere else.

I don't always agree with the ruling policy... but it's not my digital property. They own the right to write those rules.

'Nuiff said

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by longtimelurkerr
ATS sold out a long time ago... they are a part of the masons/occult or otherwise known as "Untermenschen Vereinung" amongst a small circle of powerful people... do not worry.. they will get their karma soon, very soon. People who sell out will burn in hell for eternity.

YAWN

2nd?

YAWN

CX

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Remember as well....when we first join, there is generally a wealth of juicy topics to get stuck into. Those subjects took many years to surface, sometimes centuries or more.

Roll on a few years of being a member, we've seen it all, so there is not as much to keep the grey matter ticking over as what there was at first.

Our contribution is all that can change that.

CX.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I always wonder if this is like a child getting a new toy for Christmas. When one first finds ATS everything is bright, glossy, and has that "new car smell". After a while the new car smell fades and all you are left with is a musty, moldy, order of McD's fries that have found their way under the passenger side seat. Maybe there is a cigarette burn on the armrest of the driver side door?

What I am getting at, is that there is a ton of information to take in when you first come to ATS. There is a feeling of "I am no longer the loner fruitcake... these other folks think just like I do. They see things that I think I see too!!! I'm HOME!!!"

The information appearing is not as new as it once was to some because they have read everything...50 times. It happens. Just like lust leaves a relationship. The sexy lingerie is traded in for the old flannel nightgown. (record for most cliches in one post
) Just take comfort in it. Take in what you want to and leave the rest to others. Summer vacation does bring in more "youthful" posters, but that is the way of it. I don't think it is because ATS sold out though. They don't need to. You forget that the government can apparently follow you without the aid of Skeptic Overlord.

Darn your eyes CX... I should learn to type faster...

edit on 6/29/2013 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 12:29 AM
link   

To answer your first (and title) question, "Can ATS do better?", absolutely, the day anyone thinks they've perfected anything it's curtains for them. Everything and Everyone can do "better".

That said, stay tuned for the newly redesigned site, it's truly an improvement!.

To answer the apparently genuine intent of your OP, have we sold out, NO.

Who, exactly would we have sold out to? As has been pointed out, ATS is a UGC site, there's very little or no owner/admin or staff posting when compared to the Membership posts. One would think that if a "sellout" had occurred that would be drastically different wouldn't one?

In any case, the old cliche of "be the change you want to see" couldn't be any more TRUE than on ATS.

Springer...

edit on 7-1-2013 by Springer because: Added quotation marks

edit on 7-1-2013 by Springer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 05:27 AM
link   

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

When I first found ATS it was more about real time reporting of strange and important events.

Perhaps the single most important element of your OP to which I would presume to respond.

I believe that it is almost impossible to grasp what ATS “could” be at its greatest potential. So much is subjective and prone to vary with the prevalent mood of the members. You found one among numerous benefits, namely that the members, you included, appreciate the membership’s inclination to provide more robust and less ‘crafted’ “news” information. It has it’s perils… but it’s better than the alternative.

It was that way for me too.

I have a natural inclination to question news “productions” and find the notion of ‘filtered’ and ‘commercialized’ information to be oxymoronic; but such is the way of societies focused exclusively on capital and trade.

The community shared ideas without slander and cutting dividing lines. It was a place of free thinking without emotion ruling comments and responses.

I have rarely found ATS to be free of the essential elements of opinion; much like any gathering place.

Did ATS sell out …?

Forgive my not quoting excessively…

You are the common glue that makes ATS a community. The fact that some can perform complex analysis of our communities “profile,” for whatever purpose, was not engineered into ATS… it was engineered into the Internet.

Games of sophism, name-calling, and generally rude behavior, are choices some members do make. It rarely serves any meaningful purpose effectively. I suppose that is why Moderators are sometimes compelled to intercede. However, I have found that most mature members rarely rise to the bait of a one line wry comment dripping with sarcasm or derisive disdain. They have learned that this is a place of voices, and none will be easily silenced… within the T&C. Such can be, it appears, the travails of citizenship in the ATS community.

About your choice of thread titles…

Did know what is often in the company of a sensational question… like “Did ATS sell out?”

Passionate hyperbole, presumptuous mis-characterization, misinformed bias…, which ironically, is often prompted by a very emotional state.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 05:27 AM
link   

edit on 1-7-2013 by Maxmars because: DUPLICATE POST

new topics

top topics

join