It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Metal object crashes through Seattle home

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

A three-pound piece of metal crashed into a Seattle area home earlier this week, causing damage to the home's ceiling and roof and leaving many to wonder where on Earth (or, perhaps, outer space) it came from.

Had a chunk of the Millennium Falcon fallen loose? Were the Transformers preparing an invasion of our peaceful planet? Fortunately, no. It appears the mystery has been solved, and it has nothing to do with Shia LaBeouf movies or even a part of a plane coming loose.

edit on 28-6-2013 by Rulkiewicz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   
The first thing that came to mind was "Donnie Darko". lol But I think it's just space junk. There's lots of it up there.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Rulkiewicz

The lead part had a serial number and two holes that would accommodate bolts. Two days after it dropped in for an unannounced visit, the family decided to call 911.

Source

So .. what's the serial number then? It would make us have something to go on. Anyway, I see little reason to believe anything else than this is something dropped from an airplane.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Mark my words...One of these days, a chunk of space junk like this will bean someone in the head on live TV. Then people will finally notice we've cocooned ourselves within a giant orbital trash can that rains on us every so often.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
About space trash. Did we not think it would accumulate? I wonder what the thought process was, I mean these guys/gals have to be smart right. I guess first dozen were like oh well not our problem....

and well now it is.

The real question;
How much more junk can we throw up there.

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Mark my words...One of these days, a chunk of space junk like this will bean someone in the head on live TV. Then people will finally notice we've cocooned ourselves within a giant orbital trash can that rains on us every so often.

It's to protect us from alieuuuuns
edit on 28-6-2013 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Assuming we didn't do that already?
and I digress~

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

This post reminds me of the show "Dead Like Me", where George gets killed by a flaming toilet seat that fell from the Soviet Space station.

The serial number on the space junk looks like alien language. Pretty neat stuff. I'm excited to learn where exactly this came from.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Looks like it may be a part (a blade) off of a wood chipper.

=my two boring cents

edit on 28-6-2013 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   

"Did the primary buffer panel just fall off my gorram ship for no apparent reason?"

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   

According to the Seattle Police Department's blog, the chunk of metal has been identified as a part of a tree-chopping "tub grinder."

Mystery solved...

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
please people try READING the full story!!
Its not from a plane or space junk or even aliens .
Its from a WOODCHIPPER they ran the model number you can see in the photo.
Dirrectly from the news ((((According to the Seattle Police Department's blog, the chunk of metal has been identified as a part of a tree-chopping "tub grinder.")))))
Now as to how it ened up going through the roof well thous things spin fast and if a pice was to brake louse it could easy travel upwards crashing through the roof .

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by midnightstar

If the last thing to cross my mind in life was that chunk of metal, somehow knowing it was from some city tree crew a block over wouldn't make that last flash of consciousness seem better than it would be thinking it came from Skylab's breakup. Just sayin'...

This actually makes it worse. (looks around nervously) tree trimmers are everywhere. Where might the next killer blade break happen? Another new phobia. lol

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by midnightstar

Thanks for clarifying. It helps to read the linked story. Tub grinders are awesome machines. They turn anything to dust.
If you ever seen them work they rumble the ground as they digest everything , even tree trunks.

Heres one eating tires.

I could well imagine a "high speed tungsten or carbon steel tooth" (like Canuck showed) to go flying. Happens when they don't change the teeth often enough. The one in the OP link looks worn way past its useful life. For shame...
edit on 28-6-2013 by intrptr because: clarity

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Lysergic

Thats the trouble with the human race. They only start to act when its to late...In other words when it starts to rain nuts bolts and antennas, Then they will think about doing something!

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
LOl yes improperly maintained equmint will cause many work realated accedents .
And yes people will wate well behond the life expectiancy of equmint to repair or upgrade it .
Why even NASA is guilty of that a few times

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   
It was lead? Lead weights are used in aircraft weight and balance procedures. My moneys on that...but then again, I suck at gambling.

I always roll a 12:

edit on 28-6-2013 by ChuckNasty because: pic

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ChuckNasty

Nice "Teeth".

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   
These replaceable cutters impact homes or other building 5+ times a year around the US

The cause in most cases is that the cutters require a grade 8 bolt to hold them on and in most cases the last time the cutter were replaced someone used a grade 2 or 5 bolt.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Seattle is a very green place, yet in my daily commute I'm seeing an increasing amount of people taking down trees and grinding them up. I see wood chippers in this city alot lately.

I didn't realize we'd have an "incident" so fast tho

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
These replaceable cutters impact homes or other building 5+ times a year around the US

The cause in most cases is that the cutters require a grade 8 bolt to hold them on and in most cases the last time the cutter were replaced someone used a grade 2 or 5 bolt.

Shade tree mechanics always baffles me. Just because it looks the same doesn't mean it is. We have the same problem in my 'field of expertise' - but we don't throw a blade, we drop turbines...on houses. Happens more frequently than one would expect.

Even had a person use a nonferrous screw in place of a normal screw... Had to snip the paint covered brass screw in half for the person to understand. Other than the color, the screw looked the same.

top topics

join