It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

insomnia is putting me in a bad advantage right now

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Just started a huge amazing job at toyota plant. gotta get up 4am for work, work about 10 hr days. Yesterday was me and my son's first day. I was on 4 hrs sleep. The past like 2 decades I have passed out between 3 and 5am. so getting up at 4am is not my circadean rhythm at all.

It's now 2:50am of day two. I'm to be up in an hour. I went to sleep at 8:30 pm last night and was wide awake 35 to 45 min later. Lied in the dark bedroom on my bed tossing and turning til 2:30 am.

45 min of sleep. I have to drive 45 min to work with my son, he's 18 works with me, work 8 to 10 hrs in a factory and drive 45 min back home.

it's deadly.

But im terrified they'll fire us since it's only the second day.
I have tried sleeping pills in the past when I'd have to be up early for like dr appts and stuff - I'm wide awake within 2 hrs of being knocked out because of trying to sleep well before midnight.

Do I call in? Risk being fired? Is this case of mine for calling in stupidd or would they understand? im sure someone on here knows what goes on in car manufacturing factories. tons of forklifts and dangerous equipment and on the feet non stop and walking everywhere in a factory the size of like 3 foot ball fields.

ugh. I"m hoping if I stay up til 9pm tonight I'll be awake for 41 hrs at that point and will pass out decent and reverse my sleep cycle.

Doing night shift is out of the question for car pool reasons. Else I'd take that shift.
edit on 26-6-2013 by sarra1833 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Sir,

You seem to be in a bind.

On one end you want to please your bosses but on the other end you're body seem to in rebellion.

The way I look at it, if you keep things just as they are, SOMETHING'S GOTTA GIVE.

Well, I don't want to be clinical or anything as I'm no sleep doctor.

But I believe there are just 2 way out of this problem:

1. You let the job adjust to you.

2. You adjust to the job.

Well, if you choose 2, then there has to be DRASTIC measures to be done to survive.

From my own experience, I have a simple formula for RECOVERY. I take time to let my body recover from all
the pressure and stress. If you are stress, you can't sleep even when you're tired.

Enough said. Here's a link that might be useful.

www.mayoclinic.com...

TO HEALTH AND BEYOND!

Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers!

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Girl we can talk about Insomnia, i don't believe i have slept more than 3-4 hours a night since i can remember, lay down about 4am and wake up about 7-8 am

have you tried herbs?

www.mindbodygreen.com...

www.christopherhobbs.com...

Fidnemed Nighttime Tea
www.mountainroseherbs.com...

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 03:12 AM
link   
That job just yesterday alone gave me more exercise than I've had in eons as I just had a major surgery in April. so in all rightfullness, I should have knocked out cold xD

Especially being on 4 hours sleep the night before.

I'll check out those herbs. Those sound very promising. I'll do anything at this point.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Safety First

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 03:50 AM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

Dear sarra1833,

If you believe you would be risking your life or the life of others, call it in. Tell them the truth, you are so excited about having this job that you couldn't sleep and could not imagine going there when you might make a mistake and harm someone by accident. If they cannot understand that then you are better off without the job because you put yourself and your son at risk of being harmed by someone so worried about the job that they would put others at risk. You asked and I gave my answer. I have been responsible for the jobs of 1,800 people. That is the answer I would have given in the past and it is the one I give tonight.

Tough times and tough decisions, in the end it is simple, whose life would you risk to get a paycheck?

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 03:55 AM
link   
I decided to call in. Safety is too vital and they didn't even ask why I needed off. Just was fine with it and no worries. They're so laid back there, I'm used to past jobs where one thing is wrong and you get in trouble. Anyway, I'm going to try to stay up til 8pm or so if possible and hopefully that will turn things around. I did look up delayed sleep phase syndrome and it describes me to a tee.

I'll see if I can get herbals or something to help me switch to this schedule. I love the job too much and enjoy it to have to lose it just because I can't sleep like 'normal' people do. Wish me luck.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 04:00 AM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

Dear sarra1833,

I am a Christian so please excuse me if I praise God that you called in and got the answer that is best for all. You can read all my threads and posts, I never say that on ATS. Isn't it great that you got to know kind of people you were working with. I bet you give them 100% and keep it safe and you know what, they will get to know you and you will do well because that is what you want from an employee. Concern but not negligence. Peace.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Most definitely.

Of course my boyfriend who we carpool with and had today off and I was going to take his truck with my son to wrk was all cutting me down for calling off claiming 'well /I've/ gone into work on 2 hrs sleep"

Well, I'm on 45 min and yesterday from excitement of first day jitters got 4 hrs sleep. He's been there 3 months. Ah just had to vent and rant. I'm 2 mths out of a surgery (hysterectomy) and I'm pleased as punch I got through yesterday after being off work for that long and jumping into 10 hours like that.

sigh. I still know I did the right thing. I would have been triple deadly 13 hrs from now driving back home. In this case he can shove his attitude. Driving while sleep deprived? It only takes once and that's a once I will not afford. EVER.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Glad you made the decision.

Well, I think AQuestion gave a wonderful insight.

I know of a VP of a major bank who was playing tennis in the heat of the afternoon and got a heart attack.

He was rushed to the hospital but passed away. The doctor-in-charge asked his tennis partner why did he not give any CPR or mouth-to-mouth which could have saved the VP had it been done early enough.

To which the tennis partner replied: I was afraid I'd break his ribs.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 04:10 AM
link   
CPR: if you do NOT break a rib, you're not doing it right.

That's what I learned way back in EMT training ages and ages ago.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by maryjcarson2008
Glad you made the decision.

Well, I think AQuestion gave a wonderful insight.

I know of a VP of a major bank who was playing tennis in the heat of the afternoon and got a heart attack.

He was rushed to the hospital but passed away. The doctor-in-charge asked his tennis partner why did he not give any CPR or mouth-to-mouth which could have saved the VP had it been done early enough.

To which the tennis partner replied: I was afraid I'd break his ribs.

Dear maryjcarson2008,

Thank you so much for your compliment; but, they might not all understand the joke you told. My ex is a nurse, lol. I get the joke. She told me that if CPR was done and saved someone, chances are, your broke their ribs. She was valedictorian for her nursing class. She may have cheated on me; but, I know she helped others and had done CPR.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 04:18 AM
link   
That just reinforced what I learned in EMT class :'D
If you don't break a rib, you did not do it correctly.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Thanks AQuestion.

You got it bull's eye.

top topics

join