It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mask ban: Canada's veiled protesters face 10 years' jail

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   
A maximum 10 year sentence? WOW!!!!!!!

People who "commit" manslaughter usually get way less than 10 years.

Is the canadian government drunk?

If they said 3 months I could live with that.

Normally people who commit felonies put on a ski mask to hide their identity.

Unlawful gathering is what the bilderberger meetings are! Give them 10 years judge for plotting treason.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   
This is mostly a reaction about the "printemp érable" last year in Québec the first to use the law was Montréal with over 700 events going only in this city. They wanted to be able to take picture of all the ppl in the street...

Sorry all the videos down here are in french

200 000 hit the street

edit on 19-6-2013 by Dolby_X because: bleh

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by SloAnPainful

So I guess the riot police will have to go sans mask and helmet - Good!

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Heres the thing. I would rather live in the kind of chaos caused by masked madmen, than live under an authority which prohibits the wearing of a mask to protect ones identity. I would rather live in a barren, blasted, petrol bombed cack hole where I had a right to protest under ANY circumstance, than live in a pristine suburb where the remotest political freedom was crushed and abused.

The populus must choose. Freedom and risk, or security and oppression. Governments seem incapable of providing saftey without oppression, so those are the choices at hand.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 05:35 AM
link   
At Montebello Quebec it was the police that were wearing masks and dressed as protestors who were throwing rocks at the other cops and inciting violent riot
They were busted by citizens

Think they will give agent provocatuer cops ten years?

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   

That's ok, it just gives the people wearing the masks MORE incentive to not get caught

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon

Technically it does say...

A new Canadian law forbids people from wearing a mask or covering their face during a riot or so-called “unlawful assembly” in the country.

A riot is not a peaceful protest...

We have the right to peaceful protest... in which case... why would one cover his face?

Here here! Excactly what I was thinking. This law applies only to people who are already breaking the law.
I support it entirely. No need to hide your face if your protesting peacefully.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by palg1

Given that the vast majority of violence at protests is started by agents of the government, to excuse the police in preventing the protest, in calling it a riot when describing it to the media, I would say that the right to cover ones face when anonymity is the only defence, is pretty valuable. Prohibiting this, prevents people from being a part of protests which might cause a an illegal and draconian response from government.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Discussed a couple of weeks ago here. Read what it really means before going off on what it isn't.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
This is literally straight out of v for Vendetta. Be aware.

Yes and the only way to combat this, is like the movie, everyone needs to cover their face and get out there at the same time, they can't arrest them all!

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Thanks intrepid I wasn't aware it was posted already. I searched as well. I figured since the law went into effect [same day] when I posted the article it was new.

-SAP-

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   

It's all good. This one is in BAN. The other in SI. We allow 2 that way. Just check the info from that one. It's not like Halloween is going to be cancelled.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   

So much for the Guy Fawks rally scheduled for November 5th.....

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by palg1
No need to hide your face if your protesting peacefully.

yes because our society won't target you when they know your identity afterwards at all...

this whole protesting peacefully thing is the biggest propaganda crap i've ever heard.

do our governments protest peacefully? no they kickass, legally.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Does this apply to police disguised as anarchists at G20 meetings in Toronto and Quebec

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Gee,part of my youth brainwashing was to condemn communism because of how they had political prisoners in gulags.
It kind of backfires now that they are doing what we cold warriors were trained against.
It's just so upsetting how some here support them and don't get the pattern of oppression that is building in a classic and easily seen fashion.
But I'm in America...which is as bad or worse,yay.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Being a highly paranoid person, I wonder if this is part of a global trend so that no one can be anonymous anymore. Wearing a mask will get you a potential prison sentence, and not doing so will ensure that facial recognition software logs your presence at various protests (and other places useful for potential blackmail/intimidation).

Stuck between a rock and a hard place!

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by cuckooold

I would say it will be happening soon elsewhere. America, Aussies, the UK... It's only a matter of time for it to hit. If it is a success in Canada then watch others follow suit.

-SAP-

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   

I demand that these characters getting ready to participate in a riot get the full ten years!

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cazmer
Ten years for covering your face.
It sounds more like ten years because you are opposed to what they are implementing.

Kind of... the thing is, they can't just lock you up for protesting, without looking like complete totalitarian dictators.

I think the other catch here, is that they want to record protests and to be able to identify protesters so they can start nice thick files on them and their activities, etc. If everyone wears masks, they can't do this as easily. And IMHO that is one of the most valid reasons to wear a mask during a protest.

"Why are you wearing a mask if you're not planning on breaking the law?"

"Because I don't want to be tracked by the DHS / FBI / NSA / Whoever for the rest of my life and classified as a dissident?"

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join