It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia votes to ban adoption for foreign gay couples

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   
My god the Russians are really going to town on the anti-gay melarkey.

Russia’s lower house of parliament has voted unanimously in favour of a bill to ban the adoption of Russian orphans by same-sex couples, unmarried couples and single parents in countries where gay marriage is allowed. In its second reading in the Duma, the bill was voted through by 443 to none.

I think that this is really sad. It is like we are going back in time

I personally know some gay people who would make great parents, hardworking, sensible people, and I know plenty of young uneducated twats having kids just for government benefits and handouts.

It is sad Russia has taken this stance.

Link
edit on 18-6-2013 by Lady_Tuatha because: to add link.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I wish I were kidding here, but the U.S. may really have to consider the idea of giving Russian homosexuals political asylum on grounds of persecution back home. Nothing trumped or phony but honest to God need to get out of there and into a nation that won't actively outlaw them. This is just the most recent in a series of profoundly aggressive anti-gay laws to be passed there. Really eye opening stuff. It's taking a disagreement to the level of...well...literal persecution.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

How long before violence towards gay people in Russia becomes okay?

Russia's gays fear more violence after brutal murder

I would not want to be gay and in Russia right now, it appears that violence towards them is on the increase.

edit to add, I agree with you on the asylum issue, I would not want to go home to that if I were in that situation.
edit on 18-6-2013 by Lady_Tuatha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

That really is what scares me for the people over there. Look at Western Nations where being Gay is literally a source of civil rights. Now, good or bad on that isn't the point here of course....but violence still occurs far too often and those who "gay bash" in the physical sense? Get away with it entirely too often as well. (1 time is too many).

What will happen, as you note, when it's not a Government openly tolerant and even welcoming ...but one encouraging the very negative segregation of that class of folks from the rest of society? (sigh) I think we've seen this before in other nations, against other groups. First the non-violent shunning begins....then the beatings start...followed by outright deaths.

It's a horrible path to take even if the Duma members and Putin DO disagree with Gays. Thay're human beings for God's sake...not people to be made into objects of hate. I really do think we'll see a movement out of Russia in a literal way. I just hope, under these circumstances, the welcome is open and without much question for sending them back into the mess they come from.

Bad times... all around.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Anti-Gay? to be fair it also reads , unmarried couples and singles does it not ? T or F ?

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by 13th Zodiac

Anti-Gay? to be fair it also reads , unmarried couples and singles does it not ? T or F ?

Yep, gay couples, unmarried couples and singles from countries where gay marriage is allowed.
It is astounding.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I'm confused. The topic is 'adoption for foreign gay couples' or is it 'violence against gay community in russia' ?

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Looks like i'll never be adopting kids from Russia, or at this point visiting there, shame.

with other Countries going the way of recognizing Homosexuals as nothing but Humans and granting the country equality, Russia is doing the opposite
edit on 19-6-2013 by Darth_Prime because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

They both seem to be going hand in hand at the minute in Russia. The topic is about Gay adoption rights ( or lack there of ) in Russia. I assume we can talk about anything that is affecting gays in Russia at the moment along those lines because well it does fit in with the topic, no?
edit on 19-6-2013 by Lady_Tuatha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I see nothing wrong with this.. the vote was unanimous. It is apparently what the Russian People want. Thats good democracy in action.

I do Not call this persecution of gays in Russia. They are making laws they want to enforce, not beating them up with baseball bats.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

The point I was trying to make was that once these backward laws are accepted, how long before gays start to be looked at like second class citizens? an how long before it becomes okay to beat up a 'gay' over there? violence is already on the rise against them.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lady_Tuatha
My god the Russians are really going to town on the anti-gay melarkey.

I think Putin took a cue from Amerca's right wing Christian strong political support.

He had lost political support and needed to manufacture a strong base. So he catered to the religious fundamentalists.

I doubt he really cares one way or the other about gays.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   

The point I was trying to make was that once these backward laws are accepted, how long before gays start to be looked at like second class citizens? an how long before it becomes okay to beat up a 'gay' over there? violence is already on the rise against them.

But this law isn't backwards in Russia if the vote was unanimous. How long ago was it in the US that the gays came out of the closet? 20 years or less.. Gays were not mainstream before that. They will go back to the situation they were in before - hide it at home in Russia just like they did here. You may say it's a tough break for them but one they can live with I assure you. If they don't like it in Russia, I'm sure they are free to leave.

Russia still has laws against assault do they not.. no matter if your gay or not.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 03:16 AM
link   

It isnt the majority of Russians who are in favour of this though,

In 2012 40 percent of Russians disagreed with the statement ‘Homosexuals should enjoy the same rights as others in Russia.'

It is about Russia taking the side of the Orthodox Church.

If a law was passed in your country that granted less rights to say one political party over the other would you not think it unfair? I feel in that IMHO that it is wrong. We are all people at the end of the day and I feel regardless of sexual orientation we should share the same rights.

link

edit on 21-6-2013 by Lady_Tuatha because: to add link.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 04:30 AM
link   

i dont see the matter here. There is clearly a gay agenda going on in western countries like it or not its becoming a nasty thing and out of control, gay can do this and that, be proud to be gay, show your gayness, teach your kids to be gay etc..

Russia may be the last that still have some common sense. Cant believe such a fuss is being made just for some people that like the same gender. It is so damn obvious that if you give them rights equals to straights others sexually deviants will come up and ask for the same rights. Those that cant see how potentially wicked this path is really lack common sense a trait that is endangered in today's world.

Yet another human madness added in its neverending list.

And please dont censor my post just because i dont agree with the whole thing... An evolution to be pro-gay? Yeah right as if such a mindset will lead to a mentally healthy society. Totally...

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by _damon

i dont see the matter here. There is clearly a gay agenda going on in western countries like it or not its becoming a nasty thing and out of control, gay can do this and that, be proud to be gay, show your gayness, teach your kids to be gay etc..

Russia may be the last that still have some common sense. Cant believe such a fuss is being made just for some people that like the same gender. It is so damn obvious that if you give them rights equals to straights others sexually deviants will come up and ask for the same rights. Those that cant see how potentially wicked this path is really lack common sense a trait that is endangered in today's world.

Yet another human madness added in its neverending list.

And please dont censor my post just because i dont agree with the whole thing... An evolution to be pro-gay? Yeah right as if such a mindset will lead to a mentally healthy society. Totally...

No worrys of me censoring your post you are entitled to your opinion ( however homophobic and dated I find it )

Where exactly are people teaching their kids to be gay?? I dont think 'gay' is something that can be taught lol.

Yeah I can see clearly where the common sense is lacking ' partly on my behalf for replying to such a post when its clear that people who feel as strongly as you on the matter are not open to either empathy nor understanding towards your fellow man regardless of sexual orientation.

It's quite sad really.

Btw I would love to see people like you tell a gay surgeon/policeman/fireman who just saved your life 'How potentially wicked his path is'.....

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 06:28 AM
link   

It is a tendency, a behavioural component that has nothing to do with genetics. It is a behavioural legacy. It can and will influence kids. It is already doing it hence the dramatic increase of gays. Why do you think more and more are being attracted to it? They are told its fine so why not try it? Same will go with others sexual deviations.

Understanding from me? No its the other way around. I think gays are selfish people that cannot just live their sexuality normally (in SILENCE like any normal individuals) without showing it and talking about it. Did you think about its repercussions on the whole species? Its clearly not good for long term survival of the species (not like i care but others do).

And unless a surgeon or fireman wrote on his badge that he is gay, i would have no way to know. By path i meant the future of society if it keeps going towards that direction.

Moreover.. if humans werent so damn mentally weak and focused on sex, this would have never become a problem.

Anyway no use arguing its like talking to a wall.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 07:05 AM
link   

It isnt the majority of Russians who are in favour of this though,

If you follow that link to the Telegraph article with the poll in, there is also this.

The claim is backed by opinion polls – more than 60pc of Russians say homosexuality irritates them, while 43pc describe homosexuality as debauchery, and 32pc say it is a psychological disorder.

It would seem as if it's exactly what the majority of Russians are in favour of.

There's a poll here that puts the numbers even higher,

rt.com...

Around 85 percent of adult Russians said they were strongly against a law that would allow same-sex marriage, the Levada Public Opinion Center reported; 87 percent said they opposed the idea of holding regular gay pride events in their cities.

They don't seem to have any link to the poll that I can see though, so I'm not sure how reliable this is.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by _damon

I agree, we should agree to disagree on this one.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by khimbar

People can say that they are irritated by homosexuality but still vote in favour of them having the same rights as others.

Those numbers still dont make sense for all in favour of the new laws.
'40 percent of Russians disagreed with the statement ‘Homosexuals should enjoy the same rights as others in Russia.'

The numbers should'nt matter that much anyway, you are forgetting the human factor, gays are people who should have the same rights as everyone else, well in my opinion.

If you dont feel the same way well then that's fine, we can agree to disagree, you are not going to change my viewpoint and vice versa so why should we waste our time.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join