It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South African Student Invents Waterless Bathing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 06:27 AM
link   

When finding a steady source of portable water is challenge enough in the developing world who has the time - or water- to take a shower? One South African student may have the answer with a unique, water-less shower gel—that he invented on his dumb phone.

DryBath, as the gel is called, was developed by 22 year old college student Ludwick Marishane in response to the rankness of a friend. Rubbed onto the skin, like Purell, the gel kills bacteria, moisturizes the skin and, unlike Purell, leaves a fresh scent, according to Marishane's company website, Headboy Industries.

One packet—priced at $0.50 for rural communities, $1.50 for corporate types—is enough to wash the entire body and kill 99.9-percent of germs, which should cut down on the disease rate in rural areas onset by by poor hygiene. Marishane also sees the technology being adopted by militaries, hotels, and even airlines. What's really amazing is that Marishane brought the product to market using only his feature phone.

From the initial research to building his business plan to developing the patented blend of biocide, bioflavonoids and moisturizers, he did it all without a computer.

Source

This is pretty cool, it's so cheap and really could help eradicate diseases in places that don't have access to clean water. I hope he makes it into retail

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Well, my old man was a scouser. I know that the English invented this long long ago.

Only instead of gel, it was

Ahh the pommie shower. Smooooth silky white skin. Just watch out for your skinny jeans and bomber jacket. Hard to get out!

Oo

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 07:24 AM
link   
It could promote the growth of bacteria that are resistant to the germ killer in the gel.

I am a proponent of soap and water, but I understand that clean water is difficult to obtain in a lot of the third world.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   
The first thought to cross my mind isn't so much the 3rd world but far closer to home. How about the kitchen tent of a protest or refugee support camp? Oh.... I'd have killed for a case of those at one time in the past!

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by sarahlm

just another product on the market : a basic google search reveals that waterless personal hygine solutions have heen around for a while

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
We take bath not to just kill the germs.... there are many effects, both mental and physical when taking bath.

Feeling refreshed and getting rid of dead cells and oil packages comes to mind first.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   
yeah I have always been reluctant
to use purell and the likes ...

I always feel like
I'm just covering the germs
with a layer of goo

Wet wipes are my choice
for temporary field clean.

I get it water is hard to come by in some places
this is also why they farm with grey water

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
It could promote the growth of bacteria that are resistant to the germ killer in the gel.
That was my first thought too. Killing bacteria only kills the non-resistant strains. Some survive, reproduce, and then you've evolved some superbacteria that aren't easily killed. Bad idea.

I think a sponge bath is probably a way to get clean but use as little water as possible.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Pretty cool! I must admit though: With the title, I was kind of hoping for the Star Trek sonic shower. lol

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Personally I feel that all these anti-bacterial items on the market are a horrible idea. All this does is create super-bugs and antibiotic resistant versions of otherwise tame bacteria.

Washing with non-anti bacterial soap and a sponge would do them a better service than smearing dead skin cells and oil around for a few moments, but not actually removing them from their body and not require much in the way of water.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Lipton

Originally posted by Lipton

Washing with non-anti bacterial soap and a sponge would do them a better service than smearing dead skin cells and oil around for a few moments, but not actually removing them from their body and not require much in the way of water.

Personally, I don't view these types of products as being an equal alternative to showering/bathing, but rather just as a 'Plan-B' to accommodate those times during which 'Plan-A' isn't really a viable option.

reply to post by sarahlm

Originally posted by sarahlm

When finding a steady source of [color=80B0D4]portable water is challenge enough in the developing world who has the time - or water- to take a shower? One South African student may have the answer with a unique, water-less shower gel—that he invented on his [color=80B0D4]dumb phone.

I realize this is how it was worded in the article, and not the words of the OP. I just feel it is worth mentioning.

The word is 'Potable', not 'PoRtable. That one little 'R' makes a huge difference.

Potable

: [color=80B0D4]suitable for drinking

www.merriam-webster.com...

I did like the 'Dumb Phone' part though.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   

reply to post by sarahlm

Originally posted by sarahlm

When finding a steady source of [color=80B0D4]portable water is challenge enough in the developing world who has the time - or water- to take a shower? One South African student may have the answer with a unique, water-less shower gel—that he invented on his [color=80B0D4]dumb phone.

I realize this is how it was worded in the article, and not the words of the OP. I just feel it is worth mentioning.

The word is 'Potable', not 'PoRtable. That one little 'R' makes a huge difference.

Potable

: [color=80B0D4]suitable for drinking

www.merriam-webster.com...

I did like the 'Dumb Phone' part though.

I agree, any form of hygiene is better than none. But I don't see how hand sanitizer in ketchup packets is some sort of revelation.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   
BE my guest and use this on you....
instead of helping the world get better for all

Damn!

People instead of promoting the natural and blessed for all everywhere
seek to get further distanced from it by being more unnatural to them selves, others and the planet....

Damn....

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by sarahlm

I need to get my hands on some of this for my teenage son who is a Civil War reenactor and spends the weekends dressed in wool clothing in 110° heat. "Rank" is and understatement.

top topics

join