It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top 10 scariest or creepiest things people have seen and heard according to Reddit users

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by LiberalSceptic

Reminds me of this:

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by LiberalSceptic

Surely..this cannot be? I mean,would it not have made national news,or at least have been such big regional news that to this day,stories and references to it would abound?Something on this level of idk even what to call it-surely would have attracted massive notice?

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 05:57 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Oh.my.absolute.God.What an excellent prank-it's a wonder that poor child did'nt get punched! My policy is to ignore weird stuff-but if she had to approach me-no telling what i would do-child or not.

Thanks again Lady Tuatha,i'm Really enjoying this thread,and the link

Don't want to spam though,so i'll be back later.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zotor
99% of that stuff sounds like urban legends, urban legends like this are perpetuated by liars who don't have any good stories first-hand, so they tell a story they heard second-hand and claim it happened to them first-hand to get attention. Everytime I hear a story like this I ask the person details, what, when, why, what color, how, etc, 99% of the time they can't answer because they ripped it off from an unreliable source. I can do better w/ personal stories but wouldn't want to jumble them together w/ these urban myths. I've heard a few of these 15 years ago, proving they aren't legit.

No fun allowed.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by PtolemyII

Mostly rural NM & OR. Much respect for city dwellers. I pulled a one month stint in Jackson MS, longest shift of my life.

The granny in my tale lived until her family gathered in the ER. She died after they all arrived.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I haven't logged in for ages, but just had to log into this thread and post my own creepy story, after reading through all the pages!!! Great thread, btw.

This is a story that spans 3 generations of my family, beginning when my father was 5 years old. His only sibling, a little sister named Mary Fay ("Fay" being her middle name) died of Leukemia when she was just 3 years old. The year was 1934. Apparently a non-healing lesion on her upper lip led to the diagnosis, and her death came within months. My father recounted to us this memory, from just a few days after her funeral:

He is playing on the floor in his room when his mother comes in and says, "What is it son?" He looks up at her, confused. She says, "I was in the kitchen and I heard you calling me." He just shakes his head and tells her he didn't call for her. "But I heard you holler 'Mama' from across the house. Twice." But he insists: "I didn't call you, Mama. I didn't say anything at all!"

That's when they BOTH hear it. A tiny, sweet voice calling out… "Mama… Mama…?" …coming from the direction of the living room. When they enter the room, they see her. Mary Fay. Her tiny hands pressed against the tall, narrow window that flanks the front door. Sad eyes peering in. His mother rushes to the door and flings it open. No one is there.

***Now fast-forward in time… my father grows up, marries, has 4 children. I am that 4th child, and I am on break from college and visiting my oldest sibling who has a beautiful 3-year-old daughter named Jennifer.***

I offer to look after Jennifer while my sister runs some errands. Her husband is in the garage working on a car. I'm having a blast b/c Jennifer is so hilarious and amazingly smart, she's actually fun just to talk to! So as I'm bouncing her on my knee, the absolute creep-out conversation of my life progresses as follows…
"So whatcha been doing for fun these days, Jen?"
"Ohhh… just playing with my friends."
"That's cool. Bet you've got a lot of friends, huh?"
"Yeah. A lot!" *cue cute, bright-eyed kid smile*
"Got a BEST friend?"
"Ummm… yeah. I think… prolly… Mary!"
***Now at this point, the old family story of my father's little sister is a remote memory and nothing of any consequence here. Besides… there's a gazillion Mary's in the world, right?!…***
"Mary, huh? Does she go to preschool with you?"
"Nooo…"
"Does she go to your church?"
"Nooo…"
"Does she live in your neighborhood?"
"Nooo…"
"Hmmm? So, where exactly do you play with this kid Mary?"
"At night… In my room… She comes to play with me."
***Yeah, slightly creepy. Still… I'm going with the 'imaginary friend' concept at this point.***
"So, this Mary… what's her last name?"
"I don't know."
"So it's just… Mary. Ok. That's cool."
Then this innocent child bouncing on my knee stops and looks into my eyes, with her head cocked to the side and her eyes full of puzzlement, like I just really don't get the point. And she utters two words which chill me to the bone…
"Mary Fay!"

(continued…)
edit on 6/1/2013 by new_here because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   
(continuation…)
Well, I stand up and carry her at arms length, like she's a thing possessed, out to the garage where I precede to drill her dad with "Does Jennifer have a friend named Mary???" He shrugs and mumbles "I don't know."

When my sister gets home, I tell her about the conversation, and the color drains from her face. She reminds me that Jennifer is that age that Mary Fay was when she died. And what's more, Jennifer just happens to have a fever blister on her upper lip. (Remember that Mary Fay's diagnosis came about after concern over a non-healing lesion on her upper lip.)
"But surely you've told "the story" to someone and Jennifer overheard?" I plead to my sister.
"No. I haven't," she says. "I haven't even thought of Mary Fay since Daddy died." (Our father died well before Jennifer was born.) My sister is freaked out and tells me she doesn't want to talk about it anymore.

Well, I can't let it go. It's too surreal. I call our Mom, and plead for her to tell me a logical explanation as to why Jennifer would tell me Mary Fay comes to play with her at night in her room. My Mom is convinced someone must have mentioned the story in ear-shot of Jennifer. So she quizzes my other two sisters. Nope. At least no one owns up to it, anyway.

A few days later, we're all at my Mom's house and while my sister is putting Jennifer is down for a nap, the rest of us start trying to rationalize my creepy conversation with Jennifer. Then my Mother gets a bright idea. She has old photographs in the attic from my grandmother's house. She's sure there must be a photo of Mary Fay, and she is determined to prove to my sister that Jennifer has no idea who Mary Fay is. She finds a framed 5 x 7 photograph of Mary Fay that must have been one of the last ones taken, because she looks to be about 3 years old. She means to ask Jennifer who the little girl is, and prove her point once and for all. So when Jennifer comes down the hall, rubbing her sleepy eyes, Mom turns the picture towards her. Before my Mom can ask a thing, without hesitation, Jennifer beams with delight and points to the little girl in the picture and exclaims, "That's MARY!!!"

My sister says, "Mama… you put that picture away and don't ever get it out again!"
***Cue Twilight Zone music…***

edit on 6/1/2013 by new_here because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Cool thread, love reading this stuff. This is a story that happened 18 yrs ago in Massachusetts with a childhood friend of mine.

My neighbor Marc and I used to hang out all summer long and roam the streets of our neighborhood playing pranks on people, ringing doorbells and running, super soaker wars, the whole summer vacation thing. We had a friend Brian who lived in a different neighborhood about seven minutes away by car. One afternoon I was at this kid Brian's house and we called Marc to come over and hang with us. He told us he'd have to walk as his dad wasn't home to drive him over. After a couple hours went by and Marc hadn't arrived yet, we were starting to worry about why he hadn't showed up yet. We called his house and talked to his father, and he was wondering the same thing. Eventually Marc arrived home accompanied by a police car.
As Marc had been walking over to Brian's house he noticed a van slowly trailing him. As he turned to look the van straight on, two men who looked very similar-Marc later said they had the same hair color, wore sweaters, and had beards and flight sunglasses- had opened the van's sliding door, and were emerging to grab him. He booked it around a corner with the van quickly in pursuit. Running up to the nearest house, three of these identical looking men jumped from the van and began descending on him, as he was frantically knocking on the door of this house. An older couple opened the door sending the kidnappers scattering, and the cops were called. When we finally talked to Marc and he related what happened, Brian and I were completely stunned.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Best thread I've caught in a while. I haven't had too many paranormal experiences. Just a terrifying experience with a human shaped mist as a child, that was until yesterday, surprisingly. I had a somewhat unnerving experience walking around a local park whilst waiting to hear back from some friends. It was early afternoon and I was about a mile in when I decided I would try to cut through some brush and across a creek to save some time, as the beginning of the trail was just on the other side. I noticed a female voice talking a few dozen yards into the swampy brush and didn't pay any mind. I guess I just figured it was echoing from the trail nearby. I got caught in some bramble, and that's when I noticed the voice seemed to be responding to what I was doing. So I figure someone's watching me, okay. They must have nothing better to do with their time either. I make my way through a somewhat flooded field, starting to consider walking back when I run face first into a big spider web. I freak out and start to dance, I hate spiders, when I hear the voice behind some thick brush not a dozen yards to my left. I caught it this time, "be careful, Sinbad" in a real sarcastic tone. I actually laughed, "what!?" because that was my self titled nickname when I was a kid. I regained my composure and asked who the hell was hiding out there, no answer. The voice came from close enough but there was nobody where there should have been. Then I realized the there was no trail out that way, just thick brush, and behind that a reasonably treacherous swamp for the area ( I had gone out there for a master naturalists program a few years back). Oookay. I just turned myself around and made the mile trek back to the parking lot, not really scared but stunned that I actually just had a strange experience for once. I guess somethings having a hoot keeping watch over me

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
True story.

*snip*
I'm not kidding when I say small. It was about three feet high and narrow. An adult man would have to really squeeze to get in there. The door was locked but Granny got it open anyhow.

Inside was a little hallway, very dusty, that opened into a tiny room. I could walk in the hallway if I hunkered over. An adult would have to crawl, and could only sit in the little room.

There was a small chair, doll sized, in that room. Nothing else. The walls had been covered in wallpaper that was now very yellowed with age. Dust and cobwebs everywhere, I sneezed for days after this little adventure.

What we finally noticed, and what still haunts me to this day, was the fresh looking scratches on the walls of the tiny room and the little hallway. Nt scratches, really...more like gouges in the wall. These gouges were in groups of three, as if whatever clawed hand responsible had only three fingers.

There was no dust in the gouges. They looked fresh.

We backtracked out of that little room, not saying a word. Granny nailed the plywood back in place and moved the dresser back against the wall. And that was that.

*snip*

That is seriously creepy! So far, you win for most creepy story!!! Wow....I can't believe they stayed a year....noises in the wall, fresh gouges.....and nothing in the little room! Where did whatever it was GO?!?!?

YIKES!

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiberalSceptic
Shaye Saint John always makes me feel very uncomfortable..

WTF was that? Whoever is making those videos should be locked away in a padded room with a straight jacket.

That was very, very disturbing. ~$heopleNation

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by LadyGreenEyes

My grandparents were very rationale. Papaw thought maybe it was a squirrel or raccoon that got in somehow.

Maybe. But I saw no openings to the outside, and no smell of animal feces/urine. So who knows.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by flyJoseph

Wow. I had a guy try to grab me twice,same guy ,when I was abt 13 .
My uncle was a cop,and he taught me,from the time I was two ,what to be wary of ,and this guy did it all .
I will post it when I'm up to it .

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

YES!!!! I knew someone would post that story, I was just to lazy to post it here lol.
-2nd-

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Love this thread!

Back in 2008, I was interning in Taiwan and lived in an apartment with 2 coworkers (paid for by the boss of the company). The elevator to our building was missing the 4th floor on the button panel, so if you pressed 5 it went to what should have been the 4th floor (due to superstition). This was very common in Taiwan. This led to a conversation one night with the 2 coworkers I lived with about haunted events and how numerous and wide-spread the experiences were.

Even if you were a strong skeptic, being in a country where most people believed in ghosts, you would start to get chills! They didn't relay the stores in an exaggerated manner, but rather laid back and matter of factly, which was more spooky to me.

They told me they used to live on a different floor higher up in the building (we were on 3) a few years back. Of the three living in the apartment at the time, 1 was an engineer and 2 were designers. Their living room had an all-glass wall on the TV side, so sitting on the sofa gave you a view of the hallway and into 2 rooms behind the sofa. They said at times they would be playing games or watching TV and see a figure of a lady in the doorway when the bedroom doors were open and dark. This in itself wasn't the scary part...

The engineer complained that, often at night, he would wake up and there would be a girl's voice whispering over and over into his ear: "I want you to die I want you to die I want you to die" (in Mandarin). He would be paralyzed with fear. As a result, he lost a lot of sleep and got so fed up that he moved to a motel for a month. He complained to the boss (who was paying for the housing of the employees) that he was too scared to live at the apartment!

They said she responded with shock like "WHAT? I'm getting you guys out of their immediately!"

Okay. So numerous people I had spoken to so far had an abundance of ghost stories from throughout their lifetime, and even my boss (and another close friend that lived out there) completely believed in them. The apartment I was living in was the same one they moved to only a few floors down! The engineer moved out on his own after the motel. The missing 4 in the elevator, the stairwell going up next to the elevator and looking up to the upper floors seemed a lot more ominous after their stories that night.

I will admit, I slept with the lights on that night for the first time since I was a child. I'm telling you, they make you believe out there!
edit on 2-6-2013 by astronomine because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by flyJoseph

As a mother,i find this far more terrifying than any demon out of hell.Or ghost,or critter.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by new_here

That is so sad,i'm having tears in my eyes here.Thank you for sharing that.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Just found out they have slender man games on Google play

I love ATS, without it I would probably of never heard of him

King

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I thought I'd share something else now, it's a series of occurrences that happened at the house I was living in with my (now ex) girlfriend less than a year ago. It mostly centers around my ex who "doesn't deal with crap like this" in her words, and the babysitter (who was 15) who would look after her 2 year old son.

The first thing I remember happening was my ex, up late one night while I was at work, hearing growling and scratching coming from the laundry room. She was scared to death and wouldn't get off the couch, I kept telling her a cat probably got under the house and to just calm down. I say house but it was actually a trailer, and I looked around the outside and sure enough there was a pulled back section of the siding that goes from the frame to the ground, so I closed it up. Never did find any animal. Weird thing was that the night she heard the noises we had to put minutes on her phone and suddenly our texts were lagging by 5-10 minutes at a time and when we tried to call each other the calls wouldn't connect, wouldn't ring at all, or would connect for a second and disconnect, consistently for about an hour. Never had that problem before or since.

Another night while sleeping she started breathing heavily all the sudden and was saying "stop, stop, make it stop!" I shook her awake and asked her what happened and she groggily replied "I don't know but I'm going to kill you if you don't start helping me" and told me to go check on her son... Of course he was fine, and when I got back she elaborated and told me something grabbed her and she tried to scream but couldn't. Probably a nightmare, but the timing is relevant.

The babysitter would often tell us things about the house at night... She claimed to hear footsteps and muffled voices in the other end of the house (my bedroom), she said she heard rattling noises and that the lamp would shake but if she turned on the lights it would all stop. On other occasions she said she smelled men's cologne, her keys "somehow" ended up on the floor, and "something" kicked her friend that came over. I'm not convinced she didn't just talk to my ex and get freaked out enough to imagine some of it. At one point I nicely asked whatever was in the house, if anything, to please stop scaring people if it was going to hang around.

The weird ones are coming. One night I was working late at the bar because the manager was s-l-o-w some nights closing, I was probably an hour behind my usual time of being home. My ex sent me a text message that amounted to "WTF, why did you come here and then leave? Where did you go?" I didn't know what she was talking about, I hadn't even left work at this point. Of course she didn't believe me and thought I was screwing with her and wanted to curse at me and accuse me of things. She got like that sometimes, and it's one of the major reasons she's my ex. Anyway, a couple days later she finally explained to me that she had fallen asleep in her son's room and at one point she woke up and looked over and saw a shadow figure in the doorway, then she heard it walk back towards our bedroom. She assumed it was me, and once she got the energy to move she followed on back there to lay down with me, only I wasn't there.

The first time something happened to me at that house, my ex had been drinking a bit and she passed out on the couch. I went on to the bedroom and went to sleep... Until suddenly I heard my name yelled loudly, as if from the same room, and it sounded just like her. I jolted awake and looked around, nothing. I went in the living room to see what was up and she was still passed out on the couch. I scratched my head and went back to sleep.

I'll end with this one. One night we got a call from the babysitter who was absolutely freaking out. It was basically the same things she had described before. Voices, footsteps, things shaking, etc. But this time apparently it was so bad that she actually thought someone was breaking into the house and she grabbed a large knife and locked herself in the toddler's bedroom. She said the closet door in there was closed, which is weird because we always kept it open and there was a large work bench toy that we propped against it. No one called the cops because (a) we were pretty sure it was her imagination or maybe even a ghost, and (b) I'm faster than the cops and if I catch you in my house, you won't be leaving in handcuffs. So I rush home as fast as possible and run in, pissed off at this point, with my .38 in hand and sweep the entire house. Absolutely nothing, no sign of attempted entry and nothing out of place. The babysitter was in tears. I was just tired of hearing about this stuff. During the next day or two I sat down and had a nice long talk with "the air" about this stuff and basically said I don't care if it stays or does things to me, just leave everyone else alone or I'm gonna have to make it go away. Soon after, everything pretty much stopped.

Still don't really know what to make of all that, especially since 99% of it didn't happen to me and they even claimed that these things would only happen if I was gone.
edit on 2-6-2013 by duke396 because: forgot a detail / nitpicking words

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I started liking this thread, now I hate it! While reading some of the stories on here I was getting goosebumps, then a dirty great spider came floating down the wall just a few feet from me! Scared the crap out of me! I can't sleep now because of the adrenaline rush.
edit on 2-6-2013 by jayman0111 because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-6-2013 by jayman0111 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join