It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homeless man called a bum, maybe this will change your perspective

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on May, 26 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest
Most of the homeless people are there because of poor decisions they decided to make in their lives. Many are alcohol and drug abuse victims, but it was still their choice to partake in that.

I have little sympathy for them because they chose to give up.

Typical Right-wing extremist reply.
I was homeless as a child not because of "poor choices" I decided to make but because of abuse at home. Its easy to lump everyone into one bag but its not so black and white.

Why don't they just get a house?
You need references and a steady income before most real estate agencies will consider you.
I applied for jobs every day and it was months before I could even get into manual labor while trying to juggle school.
You need work experience and again references to get a job.
(And yes I worked for McDonalds flipping burgers but I never got enough shifts to pay a weekly rent just enough to eat.)

The sentiment that homeless people are to lazy to get out of their situation is based on ignorant perspective.
What helped me change my situation was education and lots of manual labor. I still spent months sleeping outside in the cold taking while I built enough up to step into a home of my own.

kix

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Most homeless are ex combatants. Nice way to pay to fight for YOUR (so called) freedom.

when I hear the USA national anthem I always cringe when they say the home of the brave.... who? the lazy enjoying the system?

People always need second chances, not free money, not welfare, but real OPPORTUNITIES.

Sad.

CX

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   

How about not having kids until you can afford them?

If you waited until you could afford to have kids, you'd never have them.

That's all i'll say on this thread, other than you really should go and work with the homeless sometime, i think it would open your eyes a little.

I've seen the most unlikely people end up on the street. No matter how much you prepare, it COULD happen to you.

CX.
edit on 26/5/13 by CX because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by CX

How about not having kids until you can afford them?

If you waited until you could afford to have kids, you'd never have them.

That's all i'll say on this thread, other than you really should go and work with the homeless sometime, i think it would open your eyes a little.

I've seen the most unlikely people end up on the street. No matter how much you prepare, it COULD happen to you.

CX.
edit on 26/5/13 by CX because: (no reason given)

That or you plan for one...then get twins ! Ouch!

Ps ^--- happened to me lol.
edit on 26-5-2013 by Another_Nut because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on May, 26 2013 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Most of the homeless people are there because of poor decisions they decided to make in their lives. Many are alcohol and drug abuse victims, but it was still their choice to partake in that.

why is it that your posts always make me pissed off? Like in EVERY one of your posts i see you always have something rude, heartless, and completely ignorant to say? People like you annoy me so much. People like you is one of the major reasons the world is so chaotic and in shambles now a day. Get help.

+5 more 
posted on May, 26 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Hopechest

I think you should change your name to Hopeless. Thats i how i feel about most of your ideas and opinions on most of what you choose to comment and post on.

+5 more 
posted on May, 26 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   

I have little sympathy for them

It makes me sad to know that the world is full of people like you

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I'm from the UK. There's been a few people I've bought food for, homeless people obviously, but that video has just inspired me to go down and give them anything I wouldn't use. They are people, and I'd much rather give them charity than give billions a year to a country that has nothing to show for it.

+2 more 
posted on May, 26 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Wrong. So wrong. Just stop.

If you've ever done work with the homeless, which you clearly haven't granted your ignorant attitude towards homelessness, you'd know that most victims of homelessness are not at fault for their situation.

Take a woman who was a victim of domestic violence who mustered up the guts to leave her abusive partner, only to have nowhere to go. It's her fault that she's homeless because she left a man who beat her, right?

Take a disabled man who was evicted from his home because he got laid off from work. He sure is at fault for executive decisions, right?

Many cases of homelessness branch from mental illnesses, especially PTSD and the like. Clearly war vets and people who undergo severely traumatic experiences are at fault for their situation, right?

Also, drugs and alcohol are often ways to cope with, or rather escape, a situation, especially one such as homelessness.

I can't stand baseless stereotypes. Get some insight into the subject before you spew forth more nonsense, please.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   

I don't know what nation you live in but most Americans are one serious illness away from being homeless.

I used to work with the homeless and have seen all kinds. Yeah, there are some in a cycle of bad decisions who are just stuck making the same mistake but there are also plenty who genuinely didn't do anything wrong.

With your rationale, you could deny sympathy to anybody suffering from any sort of medical condition by saying "oh, I'm sure they did something stupid to deserve it".

Whatever helps you sleep at night, I suppose.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup

I don't feel any sympathy for them.

You're probably not a very nice human being.

Why, because I don't feel the need to take care of mistakes people shouldn't have made in the first place?

Yes. Yes, that's exactly why you are probably not a very nice human being. If I saw you on the street, I would help you. I don't care what your reason was. I don't care if you were homeless because you were on heroin. I don't care. You are a human. I don't give a crap why you are in trouble unless that information could help me help you better. And I'm not a rare loving soul. I think most people would pity you and many would help.

I also would help a dog "stupid" enough to make the "life choice" to get caught in a trap. I'm kind of thinking that you would let it starve.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Why, because I don't feel the need to take care of mistakes people shouldn't have made in the first place?

If people get into this situation on their own and you help them out they will end up right back there because they haven't changed their way of thinking. They will continue asking for handouts and by helping them you are just preventing them from hitting the absolute rock bottom where they will be forced to either change or they will probably die.

You are extending their misery.

I used to think like you then i grew up.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

That was really sad and moving to watch, and I understand how hard it is to get a job in his situation but I can't help but wonder how all the myriad programs in any given city to help the homeless have failed for this man. It makes me assume that he must be resisting some aspect of living clean. I hope that this video connects him with some sort of job and place to live.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightTide

Guess I am not either.....and who cares about your opinion.

I believe in giving a helping hand, but only to help them get back on their feet. We are breeding generations of people WHO EXPECT THINGS. When society doesn't and shouldn't be giving.

Not everyone is entitled to a home, free healthcare or even food.

(and spare me about children, of course their parents should be responsible for their needs)
edit on 26-5-2013 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

This is the problem. When you give that helping hand, many of them are not looking to get back on their feet whatsoever so all you are doing is enabling them to continue their destructive behavior.

Mother Teresa would have just been so proud of you! Sad to say, I recognize you as a sh%t disturbing, self centered human being. I truly hope your luck never runs out sparkly fairy. To see your life crumble due to situations beyond your control and have you end up on the street would break my heart. I think you must be pretty uncomfortable deep down...Sleep tight though!

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Is it most? Is it some? Is it a few? You have no clue so don't speak about them who inherit the earth but will not play the MONOPOLY we play.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion

I think you should change your name to Hopeless. Thats i how i feel about most of your ideas and opinions on most of what you choose to comment and post on.

People like this poster sit in a tower made of salt. They always have few things in common hypocrisy and arrogance. I had a buddy like this that was always looking down on others and making people feel like dirt thankfully they are not part of my families life anymore.

I believe they talk and act this way out of insecurity.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   

There's a variety of reasons ones life can take a drastic turn for the worst besides poor health though.
Depending on what health issue you are contemplating as a ' could happen to me'. Don't rule everything out, but I'm sure you've thought of that.

As far as I can tell I do not forsee being homeless, but how do I know this for sure? I don't.

I do sympathize. Even if they're a drug addict, alcoholic or whatever the reason.
Nobody says " when I grow up I'm going to become a heroin addict"

Don't be so snobby.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by SubTruth

I think you were talking not about me but about to whom my comment was directed. I agree with you. It must be sad at the top. I have faced homelessness myself and it was actually because of poor decision making, most of the time. There were a few times where i had nowhere to go and i dont want to use the word victim, but i became a victim of circumstance.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by SubTruth

People like this poster sit in a tower made of salt. They always have few things in common hypocrisy and arrogance. I had a buddy like this that was always looking down on others and making people feel like dirt thankfully they are not part of my families life anymore.

I knew somebody like this as well, just like Hopeless, always saying they brought it on themselves. Guess what? She is now living the exact life she judged others on. Karma I say.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by SubTruth

But surely she must visit the thread and realize that the whole point of it has become by response that her very stance makes most people feel sick! This is a repetitive theme for her throughout many threads of this forum. As people have pointed out time and again, homeless people need the help of the community for many reasons that do not ALL stem from drug abuse and alcoholism! But the myopic viewpoint of this person knows no boundaries...My way or the highway seems to be the operative approach.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join