It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was Jesus Christ just a man? Aetheists vs. Christians, Battle Royale

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Hi, let me just start by saying I was born Catholic and have not been practicing all my life. I am an agnostic and don't have a closed mind. I will be the refery. I have never read the Bible except for Revelations, and thinking it was code or the rapture might mean heaven on earth.

At the dawn of civilization, a man came forward named Jesus. Was he a martyr or a kamikaze. Willing to die for his beliefs. Like a super hero and his works more important. The last 2000 years have been rough, no doctors or anesthetic , no cops. They said he rose from the dead , but there were no photographs or video. The apostle s might have realized his works were to important to be ignored, and might have exaggerated a few things. He brought back a man from the dead, but was that code for what he did with heaven. Lazarus I think was his name.

Most people don't ask themselves questions like this. I had a near fatal head injury and almost died. I was in a coma, and had the right side of my body paralyzed. With a scar on inside of right wrist just like Revelations. When I was 17 people thought or I got framed for a gun scare. In 2001 , the Millenium just like it was supposed to happen. The beast gains an empire . Music had subliminals in it that were the Freemasons and the NWO. I tried to decipher revelations a million different ways if I was a part of it?

I thought of an interesting thread. I always see lots of aetheists around and was curious as to what they would say.
edit on 5/23/2013 by kosmicjack because: fixed caps and excessive punctuation

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Spawn2001

I am an atheist, let me start by saying that I truly hope I'm right, I never want to live more than once. Specifically for an eternity, to me eternity is hell in and of itself.

The reason I'd never worship a god even if I had undeniable proof he was real and true:

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Nevertheless I believe strongly in the freedom of religion, what or who you worship is up to you.

Let the Battle Royale commence!
edit on 22-5-2013 by TurtleSmacker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Welcome to ATS, and congrats on your first (no -intro) thread. You sure picked a topic, didn't you?!

I will be the refery

No need to "referee", our moderators are very capable, so get in there and get to the nitty gritty!

Most people don't ask themselves questions like this. I had a near fatal head injury and almost died. I was in a coma, and had the right side of my body paralyzed.

Good that you're still with us!

With a scar on inside of right wrist just like Revelations.

I'm not familiar with that imagery.

When I was 17 people thought or I got framed for a gun scare. In 2001 ,

Interesting, maybe another thread?

I tried to decipher revelations a million different ways if I was a part of it?

In my opinion, Revelations already happened, is happening, and will happen again. It's a personal revelation and a global, if not universal, cycle.

My 2cents.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I would love it, if in the future we invent a time machine go back in time to see jesus and it turns out he is just a normal man but also homosexual! religions would love to find out they have been worshipping a gay dude all this time

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I never really went to church, I just tried to philosophize myself. I heard aetheists being compared to a " sleeping rock" . How does life happen. With all the millions of different life forms on this planet, just here one day. I was born a catholic but never went to church and oblivious to the teachings. Some might consider me questioning things blasfamy.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   

interesting... though im not sure where the battle is honestly...

Either way i'll play along...

IF Jesus was just a man... Does it change the message he gave us?

Im not an atheist or a Christian... so I suppose im just a rogue warrior in this battle...

edit on 22-5-2013 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   
The devil was not a god , but a fallen angel. I am just a normal average person. To be his " chosen one". Opens up a lot of questions. Like the movie " Dogma" if you go through those doors you're going to negate all of existence.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I have faith, Im not tied to a religion so dont really care what Atheists think, I live me life, do not want to change others opinions and just treat people as I meet them and try to do good. I wish there was more people like me.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I 100% believe Jesus was a real man who walked this planet, and spread the word of his new religion.

That said he was no son of any god. Emperor Constantine, and his senate made that up.

The empire was tearing it's self apart because Constantine wanted to have a Christian people. To make the transition easier on the pagans making Jesus the son of god was one of many things that was done to make christianity acceptable.

All of our holidays have origins from paganism.

Christians take comfort ,I'll give credit where credit is due it was Jesus who split time, and rightfully so he single handedly changed mans history.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Scripture tells us that Jesus performed many gifts of the Spirit and miracles. He made prophecies, walked on water, made the blind see, and best of all, successfully prophesied the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 A.D..

Now, we can say, "Oh, that's all just made up."

I would give that credence, except for a few simple facts: Jesus didn't come, die, and raise from the dead in some little corner of the world, in some closet, where nobody could see him. And if He REALLY was bogus, He could have always just said that He would come back in spirit. But He didn't. He said He would come back in body.

Considering the five hundred witnesses including the apostles who later went on to travel great distances, whom were all eventually martyred (with the possible exception of John, who may be the John of Patmos that wrote the Book of Revelation).

So here we have a man named Jesus who said He was the both man and God, who said He would be imprisoned, tortured, and killed, who said He would be raised from the dead in physical form, all in totally public statements to multiple people. Those same people, among many, many others, saw that His tomb was empty, didn't know where He went (thinking that His body was stolen), only to see that He had been raised from the dead. Those same people who were first hand witnesses to His Resurrection would later go on and risk their own lives for the sake of teaching His Gospel.

If they had made that all up, they wouldn't have risked their lives and proclaimed the truth of the Gospel even unto their dying breaths.

We have multiple historical accounts of individuals stating (such as Flavius Josephus, a Roman Jewish historian of Jewish history) the existence of a man named Jesus who performed miracles. Christianity would later go on, despite all hostility and oppression against them, to become the single largest religion in the world, and the Gospel would be spread to the four corners of the Earth.

So, if atheists are correct, and Jesus was either just a man or never existed and it was all made up by the apostles, it begs the question: Why would people spend their lives transcribing the word, spreading it to the world, and be willing to be beaten, poisoned, tortured, and martyred for something they knew was a blatant lie?

I'll give you a hint: Nobody would be willing to die for a blatant lie.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by terriblyvexed

That said he was no son of any god. Emperor Constantine, and his senate made that up.

Yet the existent texts we have date to close to 200 years before Constantine's birth...

Hmmm...

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Then why is it that Justin Martyr had to LITERALLY argue directly to Emperor Antoninus Pius against false claims of Romans who were spreading lies and disinformation about Christians?
edit on 22-5-2013 by FollowTheWhiteRabbit because: Wrong Early Church Father.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   
So where is the battle?

Seems kinda one sided...

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   

He Is the SON OF GOD Baby , and when he RETURNS , it's gonna be HELL To Pay for All of Us..........

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by FollowTheWhiteRabbit

Wait a minute buddy.

Think about it like this.

It's a time of gods there is no answers for the heavens or earth only a god can be your answer.

Now you want to control the masses, but if these people believe their god protects them from their enemies, how do you enslave them?

Answer...you start a one god religion, and impose it on people little by little till there is only one god, and you kill, and pillage in his name who then can challenge you, you have the one true god on your side, and who can fight a god without their own?

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

I know of no documents that are originals that say Jesus was the son of god before Constantine.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Answer...you start a one god religion, and impose it on people little by little till there is only one god, and you kill, and pillage in his name who then can challenge you, you have the one true god on your side, and who can fight a god without their own?

And this is where your faulty logic breaks down. The real God in form of Jesus Christ, whom all the fullness of God dwelled within, came teaching the exact opposite of what you declared. You see, all the people you are talking about are called the "tares" and he will burn them up at the end and they will be no more. You can't possess the kingdom by violence.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Yes. That's it. You've figured it out sir. A religion that teaches peace, turning the other cheek, and freedom from the bondage of the material world somehow had advanced knowledge that Christianity would become the biggest religion in the world, and THAT'S why they spread the Gospel.

Seriously, if you're going to come up with an argument against the truth claims of Christianity, you'll have to do better than use poor interpretation of Scripture and the typical equation of the actions of evil men being representative of a religion that clearly teaches us otherwise.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Okay we have two or three to the blue team and the rest to the red team. You're the red team because I see a little of Lucifer in you all rebellious like that. So red against and blue for.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by terriblyvexed
reply to post by Akragon

I know of no documents that are originals that say Jesus was the son of god before Constantine.

The gospel of John was written between 90ish... and 120ish AD...

There in you'll find Jesus himself claiming to be the son of God...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join