It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was Jesus Christ just a man? Aetheists vs. Christians, Battle Royale

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

I'm tired brother and I just want to rest. I don't want to remember, I just want to sleep.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Covertblack
reply to post by Akragon

I'm tired brother and I just want to rest. I don't want to remember, I just want to sleep.

Then sleep... but you have work to do...

So GET UP!!

edit on 22-5-2013 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Covertblack

The world is an imperfect place full of pain, suffering, evil, death, destruction, and sorrow.

As it is said in Matthew 13:44:

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto treasure hid in a field; the which when a man hath found, he hideth, and for joy thereof goeth and selleth all that he hath, and buyeth that field."

In other words, a man finds a field that has beautiful treasure hidden in it, and to have it, he sells everything he owns to buy the field and have it. That treasure is the Kingdom of God, more precious than anything we can possess in this impermanent world. Shed off your sadness and anger in this world, for Christ can offer you something far greater, something that won't cause you anger or sadness, but that by having it, there will be no need for anger or sadness.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by roughycannon
I would love it, if in the future we invent a time machine go back in time to see jesus and it turns out he is just a normal man but also homosexual! religions would love to find out they have been worshipping a gay dude all this time

He supposedly played with wood all day, so I wouldnt be surprised.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I'm just gonna say if Jesus did exist, he would not look like the Kevin Costner- look alike I've seen, but like your average Middle Eastern guy.

I will be glad to count how long it will take to watch a bunch of fundie Christians beat up a "terrorist" before they find out it's Jesus Christ at the second coming.

Also, Jesus' real name would have been Joshua or Josh.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by interupt42
I'm agnostic as well ( I don't have all the answers), but tend to lean towards the Atheist side more.

IMO Atheist and Religious people have something in common. That is faith. The atheist can use logic and reason to conclude the unlikely existence of a GOD . However in the end, there is no factual evidence to denounce or prove that God exists or doesn't exists, so it boils down to faith (either you believe or don't believe.)

The God in the sense of how religion describes him,her,it,etc is nonsense to me. However, as far as I know there is no laws in physics that backs the creation of something out of nothing. What started the Big Bang, what existed before that , what was the first thing that existed?

My inability to comprehend how something comes from nothing and our limited scientific knowledge of how the first thing came to exist (not just this universe nor the big bang) , I can't even imagine what is out their beyond our current comprehension?

Hence I can't truly begin to exclude the possibility of a creator with 100% certainty. Hence a leap of faith needs to be made whether a creator exists or not IMO.

What I have find of interest and help me develop a glimpse of what I belive might exist before or after our existence:

1. Energy can't be destroyed nor created. We are energy hence I feel we will be transformed into another form of energy.

2. All living things share one thing in common, hence I think it might have something to do with the big picture. All living things have THEIR OWN unique experiences.

The rest is imagination assuming our law of physics or my understanding of them is accurate.

Perhaps we take those unique experiences and dump it into a universal energy bin and we get recycled. But who started or created the universal energy bin? Always boils down to the initial start of something from nothing.

Got to go but I will leave it at that.

edit on 22-5-2013 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

Well said or wrote, whatever.

(back to the thread)

This thread is pretty much pointless. I don't believe in the Bible, but I can't look someone in the eye, and say there is no god.
Where is my proof of this? Look at life it seems super natural in a lot of ways, but I've never seen, nor felt anything that would make me feel that my soul was damned or saved because of any higher power.

Also there is no proof of god to say the Bible is proof is to say all religions are true. They have documentations as well.
edit on 22-5-2013 by terriblyvexed because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by TheToastmanCometh

Unfortunately you're right on the last part. If Christ Jesus returned today, but not in some spectacular way, but more as a normal human being, He would be utterly condemned by atheists for being too religious, and many Christians for being too divisive, judgmental, devout, Scriptural, and exclusive.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by terriblyvexed

This thread isn't pointless.

Atheists are constantly running around making fun of Christianity for being illogical, irrational, anti-science and anti-intellectual. Well, here we are, with logical, rational, scientific, intellectual reasons for the "hope that is within us" as Paul said. The question is "was Jesus Christ just a man"? That carried tremendous weight. If Jesus was just a man, pagan unbelievers will have absolutely nothing to worry about.

But... If Jesus WAS God... Then you have a problem, my friends.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   
What about King Arthur? What he a real person? All those stories, all that detail. It would certainly be surprising if he was a complete fiction. Or how about Sherlock Holmes? We have some very detailed accounts of his exploits. He must have been a real person.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by FollowTheWhiteRabbit
But... If Jesus WAS God... Then you have a problem, my friends.

You can't even tell me what God is, so how can you possibly adequately define and describe the "son" of such a person/thing/concept?

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I went mad for awhile with Revelations, I am sure Jesus was a real person just with the miracles and everything just a little pessimistic never seeing anything supernatural in my own life. Second line.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spawn2001
I went mad for awhile with Revelations, I am sure Jesus was a real person just with the miracles and everything just a little pessimistic never seeing anything supernatural in my own life. Second line.

You're reading the wrong material then...

Try the gospels brother... erm.... Sister?

Revelation is a waste of time in my humble opinion...

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by FollowTheWhiteRabbit

I believe I would fit under the description of atheist, and I have never done no such thing. Your intellect is not reflected in your beliefs, so don't get to worked up.

The topic is was Jesus the son of a god or not. Like it or not this can not be proven either way, so the thread is pointless we're just throwing random counter arguments at each other, and nothing solid to prove what we're saying.

You can NOT show me god,I can't show you the beginning of time.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by terriblyvexed

You... and only you ...can show you God... IF that is what you truly seek...

He will give you what you need to believe... seek and ye shall find my friend

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue Shift

King Arthur and Sherlock Holmes were never intended to be portrayed as real in any sense (though some have taken the Arthurian legends and attributed real world value to them).

But we have historical accounts that Jesus existed, we have historical accounts that the apostles existed (which is why we know where they went and how they were all martyred), we have the apostles preaching and being murdered for their passionate faith, not blind faith, but faith in something that they declared they saw with their own eyes.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue Shift

Because I can't fully grasp the mystery of God means that I can't attribute Jesus as being God's Son and one person of the Trinity? You know that's a silly argument, right?

JESUS TOLD US that He is God's Son, I don't need to falsely attribute or assume that He is.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by roughycannon
I would love it, if in the future we invent a time machine go back in time to see jesus and it turns out he is just a normal man but also homosexual! religions would love to find out they have been worshipping a gay dude all this time

If I could go back in time I wouldn't even bother about Jesus. If he existed, he was just a man, period. No need to prove it to me.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

That would feel like looking for a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow to me.

If god was real I still would not seek him/her, but the reasons for that would get disrespectful, and I like to be humorous without offending.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by terriblyvexed
reply to post by Akragon

That would feel like looking for a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow to me.

If god was real I still would not seek him/her, but the reasons for that would get disrespectful, and I like to be humorous without offending.

Then be humorous if that is your nature... Its not disrespectful to seek your origins my friend...

We're not talking about Lucky's charms here... God is reality...

Unfortunately it seems not everyone is meant to find that out...

And you sure can't take my word for it... Who am i?

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by FollowTheWhiteRabbit

I want to thank you, you have shown me a lot of things today. My parents both went to catholic school. I am lost on all scripture. It sounds like a different language of a different time. I never went to church, and almost didnt start this thread in case my family and friends found it. I am from the " lost" generation or generation x I think watched tv and wasn't taught about the past that much. Your faith is inspiring.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join