It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bachmann Once Again Invokes God, Panders To The Religious. Where's The Personal Responsibility?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by sheepslayer247

Yeah, I get the rhetoric, it just boggles my mind that the Religious types wouldn't put the responsibility of it on her shoulders too.

She effectively, gets to say "Hey, don't worry, God has our back" and do nothing about it.

What happens in 6 months, or at the end of Obama's 2nd term, when Obamacare is still around? She'll invoke the Devil as being the cause?

I don't mind you invoking religion or even pandering to religion, but you can't do that, and then not do your job too. It just defeats the purpose. What are people from Minnesota paying her for?

~Tenth
edit on 5/21/2013 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

Why do you conclude that she does not work or do her job? Because she puts her faith in God to accomplish His will, whatever that may be?

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by MadhatterTheGreat

Originally posted by MadhatterTheGreat
Simple answer? She has every right under the First Amendment

That's not a 'simple answer', that's a straw man. Where in the OP was there any debate about Bachmann's first amendment rights? This is what alot of Bachmann's rabid supports and sympathizers do, they derail and make straw man arguments in an attempt to avoid addressing the fundamental issue here.

Her first amendment rights are not under question. Please don't derail the OP.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   

In a shocking development today a crazy eyed religious fruitcake continued to babble nonsensically about god.

I take issue with comments like this:

Anyone want to tell me the difference between Church, and government?

There is none.

1 is totally accepted as 'preaching morality' while the other is not.

Both have their 'preachers' except the only real difference is church's don't force anyone to 'donate' to them.

Man created both that is not to say a creator exists hell it's in our oldest documents.

A church preaches morality=bad
Government preaches morality= good

Be nice if people were consistent.

So in a shocking development today more hypocrisy from those who babble nonsensically about religion because they think government should not have competition.

Yep the church sure does have it's share of 'religious zealotry'.

Yep government sure does have it's share of 'religious zealotry'.

That is the great thing about the first amendment people have a choice to belong to what 'church' they subscribe to.
edit on 21-5-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhoKnows100
Why do you conclude that she does not work or do her job? Because she puts her faith in God to accomplish His will, whatever that may be?

And conservatives complain about freeloading liberals...doing nothing and having faith that someone else will get the job done for you...yup, Michelle Bachmann is officially a freeloader....a burden on the taxpayer....and a hypocrite to boot.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I think you have a valid point.

If Obamacare is repealed, she can easily say it was the work of God, but if Obama leaves office and Obamacare still stands.....will she then say it was the will of God, the devil or will she say nothing at all?

Doesn't it seem strange that we credit God for all the good things that happen in life, yet we dare not damn him or invoke his name for the tragic events in life?

For example, why hasn't the "pray away the gay" thing not worked very well for Bachmann? Is it God's will for there to be homosexuals in the world?

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Southern Guardian
Where in the OP was there any debate about Bachmann's first amendment rights?

It was in the opening title of the thread. Which was changed for clarity.
You got here later in the discussion so you missed it.
The ORIGINAL title brought in 1st amendment issues.
The title has now been changed.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Rocker2013

Well it's a difficult situation.. There are quite a few people on both sides that hold some sort of religious belief... and it is hard for them to accept someone who is not..

This wouldn't be a problem if that particular group did not comprise a large enough number to sway elections.

With that said there are really 2 kinds of Christians... There are the fundamentalist Christians who think they should rely on God for every possible thing because it's not like he has better things to worry about. That god has his hand in every affair and directs the timeline like a symphony orchestra...

I personally don't understand these people as the bible states that God took a pretty non-interventionist attitude after "the great flood"....

And there is the other side of the coin.. People that believe in God but make their own way in life... They just try to do the best they can to make it same as everyone else and although pray to god do not rely on him for every little thing. This group is the more level headed of Christianity... and believe it or not comprise most of us.

Either of these groups however have a hard time electing anyone that is not God fearing... They feel (whether it is true or not) that these individuals are at better odds to be morally bankrupt... "If they don't believe in God then what do they believe in? Nothing?"

I know many of you find this notion disturbing but it is the truth of the world we live in... This is why you will most likely see a Jewish or Muslim president before you see someone who is openly Atheist as POTUS.
edit on 21-5-2013 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Not surprised. All these representatives will do is invoke God's name to gain political points, and do absolutely nothing to bring this country together and to fix the mess. Apparently it's all about Obama and his issues in leading this country, but when it comes to congress and some of the representatives in congress, there's an attempt to protect them from their responsibilities. The previous member who accused you of attacking Bachmann's first amendment rights is a pure example of this.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Where? Where did the OP question whether Bachmann has first amendment rights? He even made it rather clear this has nothing to do with her first amendment rights. The only people attacking first amendment rights here are very members attacking the OP for his right in questioning Bachmann and her motives, a citizen questioning a politician and her motives. Why don't you respect his rights huh Flyers and actually address the OP.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by LeatherNLace

And Liberals complain about conservatives ..doing nothing and having faith that someone else will get the job done for you...yup, like government ....a burden on the taxpayer...to the tune of 17 trillion dollars, and 50 million on SS,another 50 million on medicare, and another 50 million on medicaid that makes around 150+ milllion 'free loaders'.and a hypocrite to boot.

For those who say they aren't 'freeloaders' when they are getting more cash out of the system that they have 'faith' in someone else to take care of them than they return in to that system so that others can get the same benefit as they did. well what should one call it?

After all if they were paying there 'fair share' there would be no need to raise taxes since those 'benevolent'' programs should be self funding that everyone knows are not.
edit on 21-5-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

What I asked is why people are willing to accept "God's Miracles" as an alternative to actual legislative work.

Well I do remember a certain someone going on national televison saying 'God bless America' after the killing of Bin Laden.

Was he 'pandering' ?

Yup, that's the same thing my friend.

~Tenth

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by WhoKnows100

Well I Conclude that, because at no point did she actually provide a framework for how they were going to accomplish this task.

She just said God would intervene with a Miracle, and then all would be well.

That's where I take issue. And more with the fact that nobody called her on it.

~Tenth

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by WhoKnows100

She just said God would intervene with a Miracle, and then all would be well.

I wonder why she does not believe that God intervened with a miracle when Obamacare was passed. I mean, there are just as many God fearing men and women who prayed for the legislation to pass. I suppose she believes that God picks sides in politics and that she is on the side of the righteous

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Southern Guardian

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Where? Where did the OP question whether Bachmann has first amendment rights?

What part of .. THE TITLE WAS CHANGED .. don't you get? The ORIGINAL TITLE of this thread was ... 'Bachmann Once Again Invokes God, Panders to the Religious. WHY IS THIS ALLOWED". That would have been a first amendment issue. The title was changed for clarity and is what it is now.

Why don't you respect his rights huh Flyers and actually address the OP.

Knock it off. Why don't you learn what 'the title has been changed' means.
The post you quoted was addressing the ORIGINAL TITLE, which is no longer here.

Gawd ...

edit on 5/21/2013 by FlyersFan because: spelling of 'it'

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by justwokeup

I must agree with you. Religious people are programmed NOT to ask questions and to support any idea, thought or person who mentions God or faith... Just accept it without question. She's on "our side".

reply to post by neo96

Originally posted by neo96
Well I do remember a certain someone going on national televison saying 'God bless America' after the killing of Bin Laden.

Was he 'pandering' ?

If, BEFORE Bin Laden had been killed, he had said, "I know we’re going to see a miracle before our eyes, I believe God is going to answer our prayers and we’ll be freed from the yoke of Bin Laden", THAT would have been pandering.

Bachmann is calling on a miracle from God to do something about legislating!!
What's he going to do?

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by LeatherNLace

Well those who supported and passed a government mandate of buying a corporate product(healthcare)sure the hell wasn't on the side of the 'righteous'.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   
So If God doesn't answer Bachmanns' prayers and Obamacare isn't over turned; Does that mean that God actually favors Obamacare.

I have a feeling that Ms Bachmann will blame anything that dosen't fit in her agenda as Satans work.

Christianity is such a convenient religion for those that shun personal responsibility.

I really don't understand why conservatives won't embrace Obamacare. It's designed to make insurance corporations mega bucks and usually conservatives are all for corporate influence and control in American life.

www.cnbc.com...

edit on 21-5-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Sorry, that was funny!

You do have a good point. What sort of reaction, or cardiac arrests, would people have had if Obama would have said something like that?

I can only imagine.

Unfortunately, each side panders to a specific group(s) of people for various reasons...and sometimes what they say can be just plain stupid.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Bachmann is calling on a miracle from God to do something about legislating!!
What's he going to do?

... tell her to stretch forth her walking stick and have it turn into a big snake that will eat everyone elses sticks .. and then send locusts ... and then part the waters of Lake Superior so they can all walk to Washington DC and get their agenda passed. (or so I'd guess
)

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Yeah well with the 2008 election and the 2012 elections they said he was going to perform a myriad of 'miracles'.

So he did pander, and has been pandering like all politicians do trying to convert, and grow their followers.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join