It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hello eveyone

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I have only a basic high school education but my insatiable curiosity has led me into this forum through some google searches I made while researching for a project that I am working on. A desire to make money from scrap computers gave me the idea of using electrolysis to refine the metals. I have found quite a bit of info on the internet on the subject but mostly it is so generalized that it leaves me with some questions that I can't find an answer that I can understand. OK I have found some descriptions of processes that use electrolysis to refine pure metals. Some refineries use porous ceramic filters in their process, which seems like a good idea to me. My question now is how porous? It must allow ions to pass through it but filter out all the unwanted metals. So I started looking for information on ceramic filters and all I could find on the net was info on water filtering systems. Would a store bought ceramic filter work for my project? How big is an ion. Are copper ions the same size as gold or lead ions?
I have also come across info that leads me to believe the voltage applied to an electrolytic cell affects the different metals differently according to their electrolytic reactivity but I can't decipher the information due to my limited education. A simple chat that tells me what voltage to apply to harvest copper etc. Is what I need. Hope you all can help me out with this. The end result of my project is to design a system that is environmentally friendly, cheap to build and will actually be using electricity that can be obtained free. In fact I might even get paid for the power that I use if my ideas all coalesce into a viable system.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by TinkerTerry

Hi Terry,

Welcome to ATS.

I hope you will enjoy it here.

Here are some good links to help you in your journey...

Terms and Conditions

Complaints and How to Contact ATS Staff

Starting a New Thread ?... Look Here First

Hey new members!! Come here if you need advice

Most of all .... Have Fun

Oh...maybe this link will answer some of your questions, I have no idea.

Dummies Guide to GOLD bullion refining at home as a long term precious metal investment - made EASY

Peace

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Thanks that was one of the first sites I visited. I am looking at refining 99.999 pure metals without using acids etc in any large quantity. For a hint on where I am going with this, take a look at the threads re: HHO fuel cells to power. Internal combustion engines.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Welcome aboard!

Assimilation is near completion, just need to get that post count to 20 so you can make a thread!

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Nice to meet you, welcome to the family. Many of us came here doing research, seeking information. Jackpot! Enjoy the place, hope you get the answers your looking for.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Welcome to ATS!

I'm sure you will find people around here that would be really interested in your ideas!
Sounds interesting to me!

See ya in the threads!

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Glad you joined us. Have some welcome cheesecake

Enjoy your stay

~nat

new topics

top topics

join