It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obsessive Debunking Disorder (ODD)?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+25 more 
posted on May, 19 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I am posting this here because I was not sure where else to place it, feel free to relocate it.

According to Mr. Sheridan...

Are Hardcore Skeptics and Debunkers Actually Brain Deficient? Their Own Beloved ’Hard Science’ Might Well Suggest Many Are.

What say you ATS ODD real, have we seen it first hand?

The debunker and the hardcore skeptics, on the other hand, will even attack these open-minded Materialists, similar to how a flying saucer cult will have very public witch hunts of so-so members who have not shown their unconditional devotion to the messages sent from the ’space brothers’. The irony is that many of the open-minded skeptics that they attack often have a scientific or engineering background, and these folks are being attacked by debunkers whose sum total of their own quest for reason and logic rarely extends beyond procuring a ’Mythbusters’ DVD box set or having a poster of Richard Dawkins on their wall. Any Reductionist fence-sitters will be treated with ridicule and contempt—even fascistic vitriol and vicious insults. There is simply no grey areas within the concrete consciousness of the debunker or the hardcore skeptic; instead, only a kind of scientific idealism—and idealism, both secular or otherwise, is really just a nice way of saying ’fascism’.

How to handle it..

So the next time you find yourself confronted with a hardcore skeptic or debunker, do not even bother to try and make your argument or present your point of view to them, as you are throwing 100% of a human experience in 50% of a self-repressed cognitive understanding. It’s not their fault they are the way they are. They are victims of an educational system which began in Prussia in the eighteenth century and which has led humanity into one scientific genocide and meat grinder after the next. Use your intuition and ignore them. You do not need their validation and approval, as they are only interested in what the men in the white coats tell them that which is a ’fact’. Be polite and continue to follow your own field of study and knowledge path, and then see where it leads you. This may lead you nowhere, but so what. The journey is often more important than the destination. Your life will be more rewarding, creative and enriching for allowing your right brain to take part in the imagination of yourself within this five-sense reality we call human existence.

Obsessive Debunking Disorder (ODD)?
edit on 19-5-2013 by ParanoidAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by ParanoidAmerican

S&F for the new disorder and its acronym, which although it might take some time to be listed among medical disorders, will I'm confident, catch on readily in the ATS nomenclature.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
While the phenomenon you speak of may or may not be real, it seems to me that this particular article isnt going to objectively show it one way or the other.

The reality is ... most people find such arrogant and obnoxious debunkers and hardcore skeptics to be strangely angry and boorish, and often confrontational to the point of hysterical.
So many of them seem to lack basic social and behavioural skills when ’debating’ with their ’kook’ of choice.
This is simply a lack of critical thinking on their behalf; a distorted worldview where only they are right and everyone else is an idiot.

The article itself comes off more as a rant, than anything else.

+15 more 
posted on May, 19 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   
"Debunking" isn't the problem, most people are glad to find out the truth about stuff. Its "obsessive denial disorder" that creates problems.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   
The problem with articles like this is sufferers of OBD (Obsessive Believer Disorder) use it to back their points instead of logic much like persons reading a pop-culture magazine that says Conservatives are more likely to be stupid.

It's why many serious doctors would discourage diagnosing other people - especially when it's in your best interests for them to be ill.

Lets just let our points stand on their merits and leave the medical conditions to the qualified mmm?
edit on 19-5-2013 by Pinke because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Some debunkers have an obsessive compulsive disorder. That is evident. Everyone has a little excessive compulsive in them. It makes life interesting.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
The problem with this is, it will be used as an ad hominem attack more than it is used to describe well observed behavior. Anyone who is skeptical of a theory becomes ODD. Labeling certain behavior as a disorder is easy to do. But more often than not, disorders like this are used to oppress dissenting voices.

I'm all for considering possibilities far beyond our current science and knowledge, but quelling dissent from those who don't agree by labeling them with a disorder will not move us forward as a civilization. I think history is replete with examples of such behavior.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified
The problem with this is, it will be used as an ad hominem attack more than it is used to describe well observed behavior. Anyone who is skeptical of a theory becomes ODD. Labeling certain behavior as a disorder is easy to do. But more often than not, disorders like this are used to oppress dissenting voices.

I'm all for considering possibilities far beyond our current science and knowledge, but quelling dissent from those who don't agree by labeling them with a disorder will not move us forward as a civilization. I think history is replete with examples of such behavior.

And you sir, clearly have ODD.
Debunked!!!!

Oh wait...do I have it now?

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   
It strikes me as an author who got his favorite pet theory debunked and stomped to little bits before an audience....or perhaps this is what happens to a guy when he learns a bit later than everyone else that Santa isn't a real guy after all ....and living at the North Pole would require world class swimming ability.

I'd sure agree that there are people who treat debunking a but too much like a sport with some 'judges' out there somewhere, looking to give points for top performance. Then again...there are some who would believe anything, if someone saying it had just a whisp of logic to give it any sense at all, too.

The world has both extremes....what would it be without them?

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   

S & F

Sometimes it's easier said than done.

Those afflicted with ODD often claim they're simply contributing to threads by playing devils advocate, presenting alternative solutions and may even feel as if they're making threads more interesting to read. What an ODD sufferer fails to recognize is that they are like a fly at a picnic. Everyone just wants them to buzz off.

It's one thing to contribute information and share ideas. That's why we're all here. It's an entirely different agenda to bust in on my picnic and poop on my lawn. If I'm not into a particular subject, I don't feel the sudden urge to run into that thread kickin and screaming about how they're all morons for not thinking exactly as I do. Control freaks. They're also the ones telling people how to star and flag. Really? Get over yourself.

Thank you for bringing this ODD conspiracy to the forefront, in a humorous manner that everyone here can appreciate. The mods do a pretty good job of catching it, but I think it still prevents people from putting good thoughts out there. By the way your avatar is really awesome

edit on 19-5-2013 by B1rd1nFL1ghT because: Spelling

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Well if this ODD hypothesis holds some truth then that does explain some of the posters here on ATS

Flagged for the laugh.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   
As someone on the debunker side of it all, I think that it is just wrong.
You can't have too many facts and too much truth.
If you think someone is wrong, prove they are, don't label them with shill, troll, disinfo agent, and now ODD.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr
"Debunking" isn't the problem, most people are glad to find out the truth about stuff. Its "obsessive denial disorder" that creates problems.

Correct, that works for anyone on any side of anything.
Very good aim there.

It is when after consecutive unchallenged facts are presented and explained in detail, yet still denied at face value or ignored in spite, that a problem really begins to fester.

However if challenges are made of at least decent quality it would give us pause to consider the validity of one's points, but in the absence of any real challenges or legitimate explanations one would expect a concession to be in order.

So I agree with the abstract gist of the article that those who will stop at no lengths to stifle or end any form of "conspiracy theory", are just as bad as the UFO cult that uses similar tactics to stifle questioning of the cult's policies or whatever. It's mindlessness. Humans were meant for better than this.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

Debunked!!!!

No. You clearly do not have it. Because your reply was way too short and did not involve any snarky commentary intending to shut down the OP. Also you did not make yourself look as if you were king (or queen) of enlightenment. There are certain criteria for ODD, you see... I know EVERYTHING!!! Lol

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   

I love it. S&F for my first laugh of the day.

I see this all of the time here at ATS, and when I see it I simply read, ponder the behavior, sometimes laugh, then move on. Hard core debunkers see what they have been programmed to see , rarely addressing new information on the subject, or when they are forced to address it, the information is often times squeezed and molded to fit their preconceived rational, either because the neural pathways won't allow it or they're being paid.

If ATS did not have this particular disorder among some of it's members, it wouldn't be the same place we all love now.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by stars15k
As someone on the debunker side of it all, I think that it is just wrong.
You can't have too many facts and too much truth.
If you think someone is wrong, prove they are, don't label them with shill, troll, disinfo agent, and now ODD.

I'm not on any side when it comes to something new or unknown.
My side is determined after looking over things.

However, those who declare openly they are out to take one side of basically any matter that might pop up, are a serious problem and in the way of any real discourse or research. So I am afraid it is a hurdle, a thorn in the side of the real hunt for truth by those seeking explanations and answers to their questions.

Sure, debunking everything or believing everything automatically may work sometimes randomly by chance. Broken clock works twice a day and all that.
But actually coming at things with an open mind and heart seeking to find something that makes sense and applies logically, is what we should be doing if we cared at all about the "Truth".

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   

So ignore trolls is the crux of the argument?

Edit: Well, trolls that don't realize they are a troll. haha
edit on 19-5-2013 by superman2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012

So ignore trolls is the crux of the argument?

Theory may have worked originally.

But various groups, political lobbies, maybe corporations or governments, etc, hired trolls for 24/7 Public Relations work.

So since we are unknowingly feeding them through consumerism and taxation, I don't think they will be going away despite our lack of knowingly feeding them.

But yeah overall we can try to ignore it. Try being the keyword here.
edit on 19-5-2013 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

I can't. I know I can't. Is there a trolls anonymous around here? Sometimes I am one, sometimes I feed one.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by B1rd1nFL1ghT

Originally posted by muzzleflash

Debunked!!!!

No. You clearly do not have it. Because your reply was way too short and did not involve any snarky commentary intending to shut down the OP. Also you did not make yourself look as if you were king (or queen) of enlightenment. There are certain criteria for ODD, you see... I know EVERYTHING!!! Lol

Touche!
I will try harder next time to role play being a jerk.
My wife claims I don't need any practice though.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join