It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It is not a Head Orgasm...Pervs

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by awakendhybrid

Would you care to elaborate? You seem to be implying that you think something will/could come of this. I've heard this consideration before, but I would happily just take some real research and categorization of it.
Something like the mind will be born again with only good thoughts of love and care and understanding,only white thoughts.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties

Originally posted by DaTroof
reply to post by Kryties

What you described is addiction.Helps you relax, helps you sleep.Get over YOURself,addict.

Wow, I actually feel dumber for reading that.

Clearly you know nothing of the subjects of either addiction or ASMR.

Don't feed the trolls

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Knock off the stupidty.

Only warning.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by piequal3because14

Hmmm...I diffidently see a lot of people explaining it as an emotional, empathic or esoteric event, but I just can't always agree because mine seem mundane and rather selfish.

Here, I will give an example of one of my strongest experiences:
I used to work at a thrift shop. One of my favorite parts of the job was assisting those who wanted to look at something in the display cases. They were probably annoyed that I was acting like a clingy salesperson, but when they wandered over to investigate I was right there waiting to see if they wanted me to take anything out for them. Something about them studying all those little things, making decisions, leisurely hashing it out with the person next to them just put my brain on full-buzz. To me anyway, there just doesn't seem to be anything particularly expansive about that reaction.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I know how much love ATS has for Wikipedia, but I was personally surprised that ASMR has a wiki.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by awakendhybrid
reply to post by DaTroof

I don't see how that is possible seeing as my first memory of it was as a preschooler sitting on someones lap as they played with my hair.

Okay, now I get it. I have experienced this before - it just took this description to make me aware that was what I was feeling. It's almost like if someone pays particular attention to you... So hard to describe. It doesn't happen near enough, or the sensation is fleeting. But, it does happen when you least expect it to.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I think I did a thread on this a while back. I'll see if I can find it.

Maybe ATS' search will work...
edit on 18-5-2013 by esteay812 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaTroof
reply to post by Kryties

What you described is addiction.Helps you relax, helps you sleep.Get over YOURself,addict.

I hope you're aware that you're being an idiot...

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Omg I get this.. know exactly what your talking about..

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   

It's almost like if someone pays particular attention to you
reply to post by hhcore

I would diffidently agree that this is a factor. I may be more limited than others though. A haircut is a very commonly listed trigger, but I usually end up being too distracted by what they are doing to zone out enough for the tingly sensation. I have to like, NOT be paying attention or too interested in what they are doing.

It doesn't happen near enough, or the sensation is fleeting. But, it does happen when you least expect it to.

So, are you saying you do still sporadically get it or has it stopped since when you were younger?

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   
OK, I found it. It wasn't a thread, it was a post about ASMR I did for the thread - Does Anybody Else Experience This Sensation? However, it did pop right up on top of the search list.

Here is the comment, maybe it can shed a little light:

by: esteay812

Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response

Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response (ASMR) is a physical sensation characterized by a pleasurable tingling that typically begins in the head and scalp, and often moves down the spine and through the limbs.

Most ASMR episodes begin by an external or internal trigger, and are so divided for classification. Type A episodes are elicited by the experiencer using no external stimuli, and are typically achieved by specific thought patterns unique to the individual. Type B episodes are triggered involuntarily by an external trigger, via one or more senses, and may also involve specific thought patterns associated with the triggering event. Both types of triggers vary between individuals, but many are common to a large portion of ASMR enjoyers.

Common external triggers:

Exposure to slow, accented, or unique speech patterns

Viewing educational or instructive videos or lectures

Experiencing a high empathetic or sympathetic reaction to an event

Enjoying a piece of art or music

Watching another person complete a task, often in a diligent, attentive manner - examples would be filling out a form, writing a check, going through a purse or bag, inspecting an item closely, etc.

Close, personal attention from another person

Haircuts, or other touch from another on head or back

ASMR Research

Research Goals

Document physical and psychological aspects of ASMR
Obtain funding for further research
Explore potential beneficial personal and social applications of ASMR
Determine the natural progression of ASMR through an enjoyer's lifetime
Develop a method to replicate ASMR in those who do not yet experience it
Study effects of ASMR on depression, anxiety, sleep disorders, etc.
Research Efforts

Research efforts are currently focused on expanding our understanding of ASMR as an experience, and cataloguing the aspects of ASMR in a scientific, discrete fashion. Data compiled through our questionnaires and video trials will be used to build a complete research portfolio. Our portfolio will ultimately be the foundation of documentation used to request a full research grant and funding for a broader range of studies.

Current

Video Trials - Exposure to known video triggers, and documenting reactions

General Questionnaire - A basic questionnaire to compile statistical data of ASMR enjoyers
Future

Physiological monitor - EEG, GSR, Pupil dilation, etc. - during ASMR episodes

Health screening of ASMR enjoyers to determine possible linked medical conditions

Controled profiling of triggers to isolate areas of the brain active during ASMR

Controled survey of serotonin and other neurotransmitter levels before and after ASMR regimen

Psychological profile and benefits or problems associated with routine ASMR experience

Social anthropological implications of ASMR.....

...Currently, the team is preparing to run a series of video experiments. This involves a participant watching a provided video link, and then answering a set of questions about the video, such as the below examples:

"How often did you hear the speaker breathe?"

"How did you feel when the painter slipped?"

"Did you like or dislike the way the colors matched the video?"

"How often did you feel the video almost, but didn't quite, elicit ASMR?"...

...If you would like to participate as a volunteer, you can fill out the form at the bottom and a team member will contact you with full details of the next round. You should be aware of these details:

This is a non-funded effort, so you will not be paid...

AMSR Trigger Videos:

Click Here for a YouTube Playlist of 34 ASMR Trigger Videos

YouTube user ASMRNoises has several ASMR videos on their page.

to be continued...

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by esteay812

Yea, those first two parts you posted are off the two links in the OP.
But you've made it nice and easy for people to read through quickly

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   

...continued from previous post:

This is a claimed trigger video, but it does the exact opposite to me, even frustrates me and leaves me annoyed at the video and even the person who made the video... haha I guess

There are many other reports out there of people who experience this as well, I am to some extent, maybe we all are to some extent, or maybe we are all capable of this, but for some reason we do not all experience this.

Similar to my experiences with OBE and Astral Travel, incredible experiences we are all capable of, but not everyone experiences. Some people believe the possibility of such extraordinary experiences does not exist as described, though they absolutely do exist and are incredibly real.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   

I watched one of the videos, it was horrible, and traumatic. I did not like the sensation. Someone put a warning on these things.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I think I might know what you're talking about. It's very hard to describe, except that it's centered in the back of my head and neck and feels really good. It comes in waves and I suppose could be described as tingly.

For me it's triggered by things like the sound of certain singing voices, graceful pictures and videos... and most of all, head massages.

edit on 18-5-2013 by EllaMarina because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

Wait...what happened? What did you feel that was so horrible?
Did you listen to nails on a chalkboard or something?

There are diffidently sounds and visuals I would consider painful. I also have Trypophobia so maybe those that experience ASMR are just more sensitive to some of their senses. It could also be related to synesthesia.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by awakendhybrid

No, it most definitely still happens, but the circumstances to trigger it are far and few between. The feeling is very hard to label in any words of the english language.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   

reply to post by Silcone Synapse

No, it is more similar to the feeling you get when someone runs their fingers through your hair or when you get a spontaneous shiver except that it pulses through your head in elongated waves and can last several minutes.

What an interesting thing.

For as long as I can remember, I've been able to experience that. I just never really thought about it, it's like - for me - getting goosebumps in my hair.. my scalp tingles and I get almost drowsy from the sensation. But at the same time it's strong enough that I don't want it to stop.

Never ever considered it, and it was only when reading here about the triggers that I put 2 and 2 together.

It's nothing like a head rush or standing up too quick... it's like something is happening that sort of eeks you, it's damn had to explain.

My old cat used to love washing himself. And if he ran out of cat to lick, he'd start on the nearest thing, usually my arm and hand. And he'd go at it like I was some crazy hairless cat that needed a thorough licking.

And I'd sit there almost goofy, not moving, feeling this weird thing I thought was normal - well it is normal - and if he started to stop it would start to subside. it's like you almost zone off, not affected but blissfully content.

I get the same, but not as strong, from people fidgeting around me. but if they know I'm watching, it wont happen.

Or someone chewing gum in a strange way. Not the annoying chomp chomp chomp, but .. i dunno..

freaky.. so they invented a name for it huh.

They've invented a name for a thing I didn't realise I had until they invented a name for it.

... addicts.. what a derp. *IdUseAnEyeRollingEmoticonButThatCommentWasNoWorthThePicture.*

Who knows, maybe it's got a normal name that everyone else calls it, but it's just being described differently, so no one is going "Ahha!"

But the whispers, the triggers, it's the same thing for sure.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   

and after this a new thought will be born
reply to post by piequal3because14

Would you care to elaborate? You seem to be implying that you think something will/could come of this. I've heard this consideration before, but I would happily just take some real research and categorization of it.

He could be referring to the terminology.

Head Orgasms, giving birth to new thoughts.

All I get is a blocked nose Oo

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join