It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No Excuses

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Greetings, ATS!

While perusing YouTube, I came across an incredible tv series titled "Extraordinary People." This show focuses on people born with a "disability" and chronicles how they and their family cope.

The last video I watched featured Rosemary, a woman who has no legs.

This woman is simply remarkable. Not only does she lead a full life with a husband and a son, she also manages to care for her elderly father (who suffers from dementia) and her brother (who has the mental age of 8 and can be violent).

Watching this video and seeing what Rosemary faces and overcomes has humbled me greatly. She lives her life with no excuses; she plays the cards she's been dealt with courage, grace, and an amazing attitude.

Rosemary's determination has given me a lot to ponder. It's a life lesson everyone needs to learn. In our society, I think it's all to common for people to believe the world owes them something, that they are entitled to rewards without putting forth the effort involved. Yet here is a woman who faces tremendous obstacles everyday...and she's not complaining.

How often do we allow ourselves the luxury of self pity? I do it a lot. If only,m if only, if only.....

Rosemary's attitude towards life is amazing, and I wanted to share her story.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Thanks for posting this,Smylee,i will be watching when my wifi signal comes back(we've been having wind+rain+thunderstorm all day long) There was a TVseries in my country some years ago,about folks with disabilities,ranging from blindness to being born with one or more limbs absent,etc-and invariably it would leave me sobbing.Not with pity for these people,but with disgust at my own ungratefulness for all i have,for how good anyone has it,without such a tremendous difficulty-and how easily i and most other able-bodied people forget that fact-and complain unnecessarily,bitch+moan about petty stuff.Life is hard enough with all one's limbs and faculties,for these people it must be unimaginably more so.You know,i sometimes would think upon seeing the great and powerful spirit in these severely disabled people-and the magnificently strong,cheerful and inspiring way they handle their lives-that we are more "broken" than them.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

What a truly incredible story. It really says everything about how our bodies are not the definition of who we are or what gives life meaning and value. It is so much more than that, isn't it? Now that would be a story to share with school children as an inspirational one, to show how much can really be overcome to enjoy a deep and meaningful life.

Thanks very much for sharing! (I watched about half now, and will come back and watch the full video with my wife after she gets up. Its a very special one, without question! I'm sure she'll want to see it as well.)

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   

I saw her story before. I don't know if it was this same show or not, but she is truly amazing! Her atitude can teach us all a lesson.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I watched part of that video by now,will finish watching later.One word:RESPECT.And what a likeable person she is! A great,great lady.These are the people the public should be revering,not celebrities!

Here is a vid i posted on an unrelated thread of mine,and this young lady was not born with disabilities,or any major obstacles in life,but she Is a brave,tough girl:

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Dear smyleegrl,

May I add another example of a man whose story fits here? Tony Melendez, a guitarist - singer. He amazes me.

VATICAN CITY — Pope John Paul II welcomed to the Vatican today an armless guitarist who moved him to tears in Hollywood during his tour of the United States in 1987.

Tony Melendez, 27, who was born without arms, stole the show on Sept. 15, 1987, when he played the guitar with his bare feet and sang at a youth meeting with the Pope at Universal Studios.

articles.latimes.com...

No life is worthless.

With respect,
Charles1952

top topics

join