It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High Fructose Corn Syrup killing Honey Bees indirectly

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
phys.org...

Specifically, they found that when bees are exposed to the enzyme p-coumaric, their immune system appears stronger—it turns on detoxification genes. P-coumaric is found in pollen walls, not nectar, and makes its way into honey inadvertently via sticking to the legs of bees as they visit flowers. Similarly, the team discovered other compounds found in poplar sap that appear to do much the same thing. It all together adds up to a diet that helps bees fight off toxins, the researchers report. Taking away the honey to sell it, and feeding the bees high-fructose corn syrup instead, they claim, compromises their immune systems, making them more vulnerable to the toxins that are meant to kill other bugs.

With all the threads we have seen on Honey Bees dieing this particular study seems to have discovered an additional plausible link to their demise. It is not some Conspiracy to manufacture mechanical bee drones; just a decision and common practice stared back in the 70s that is finally coming to light. indirectly

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I tend to not believe that. I've not kept up on modern bee-keeping practices, but I doubt very much that feeding HFC is the primary cause. Too many places around the world have a decline with bees and any smart bee keeper would quickly have suspected HFC from the beginning if it was the cause.

Plus, in the poorer parts of the world bees are not stripped entirely of their supply of honey but left with enough to survive the off season. That was the old way and many poor beekeepers are not going to be trudging off to wherever to buy a cart load of HFC. I await further evidence. This is not the first time that a causal agent was supposedly found. Of course, there could be a collective problem of contributory reasons.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

I agree with you and will say there are probably several connected reasons that have started the decline. Humans always want a simple reason for stuff but often times it is not the "one" but a chain of events that set the outcome.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   
SnF for another interesting bee thread. I'm a beekeeper, so I like to keep up-to-date.

I'd like to add something as well.

It's not so much the corn syrup itself, but the fact that the corn syrup is made from treated corn. The Neonicotinoidals that that they use as a pesticide. On the seeds. The processed corn has the residue, and it winds up in the corn syrup in small amounts. I agree with the indirectly part completely. PPM, sure, but enough to accumulate in their tiny insect bodies. Enough to mess with their delicate nervous system.

And it's not so much they are taking their honey to sell, as the US imports most of the domestic supply from China. It's the fact that bee companies can no longer profit from local sales due to imports, and they have started to farm their bees out as pollinators. Bees can go from California to pollinate the almond crop in spring, down to Georgia for the peaches, and after a few other stops, wind up back in CA for the winter. During this transport, the bees are stressed, and they never really have a chance to store honey. They are fed cheap corn syrup to keep them alive, and disrupting what millions of years of evolution has established.

We only feed our bees white sugar, dissolved, and usually only when the weather is inclimate or it's a new hive. It's a tad more expensive, but better for them. Unfortunately, when a beekeeping company has a tight bottom line, the cost for bulk HFCS and WS makes the decision for them. More bees needlessly die.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42

We only feed our bees white sugar, dissolved, and usually only when the weather is inclimate or it's a new hive. It's a tad more expensive, but better for them.

Thankfully, some beekeepers are wise to the toxins of GMO corn, and the neonics,
you may save the world soon.

new topics

top topics

join