It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Do I Do It?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 11:39 PM
link   
So, I am sitting here with tears streaming down my face wondering why I watch some of the things I watch. Cruising through Netflix, I ran across a documentary called "The End". Being a documentary hound I queued it up. The documentary follows five people's end of life journey with hospice workers. It shows how the families cope and how the patients cope.

Then comes the 19 year old dying with bone cancer. As I watch the parents struggle to let go and the daughter struggle knowing how her illness is affecting her family I stopped it. She wasn't worried for herself. She worried because her parents were hurting.

That's just the end all be all. Really. I hurt for the family and instantly thought about how we treat each other. The lump in my throat at that moment made it hard to swallow. It was real. I don't know these people, but I ache for them. I wish there was a way for all of us to feel that way for each other even if we can't see their struggles. Each of us will leave this life at one point or another yet we tend to forget this in our daily lives.

I don't know why I watch stuff like this knowing what the result will be. Maybe in some way it does serve to remind me to treat others better. I can't be the only one to torture myself with stuff like this though. Anyone else?

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

Because you care..
I watch the same type of stuff and I always cry, heck I watch the Elephant man and I boo everytime.
It is good to cry also It is good to release those tears physically and mentally.
Anything to do with kids, Apes, Monkeys and just random acts of kindness makes me cry don't be annoyed with yourself be proud that you cry.

Oh and If you want a good boo watch this.

www.imdb.co.uk...
edit on 21-4-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

You could be right about the crying. I am not a crier. Ever. If my husband sees me cry, he wonders if he needs to call the ambulance.
I always watch those things after everyone goes to bed so nobody sees me cry. I can't watch it with other people that's for sure!

And Elephant Man was sad. Like Pay it Forward, City of Angels, etc. etc. Ugh.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 12:22 AM
link   

I love you...now run away

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Try it in real life,it sucks.
Watching my father-in-law battle cancer,good times and bad times,till it finally took him.

36 hours of the death rattle is excruciating.Telling him over and over to let go and die because there is no hope of coming back.

36 hours of waiting for death.It took a heavy toll on my wife.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 01:48 AM
link   
My other half has asked me before why I often watch "depressing" things (like the documentary you watched) and why don't I stick on a comedy or something happy. I think it's because I just like to feel empathy. That sounds really strange, but when I feel empathy for someone and the emotions that go with it, it makes me feel more alive. I want to try to imagine what it feels like to be in someone else's shoes and understand how they're thinking and feeling and I want to try to see things from many different perspectives.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by SarnholeOntarable

I love you...now run away

I will run like the wind Jenny....

reply to post by kdog1982

My heart goes out to her. I am fortunate to have both parents so far. I have watched grandparents battle skin cancer and liver cancer and they lost their fight as well. I guess that's why I can empathize so well. It is always tremendously hard to watch strong healthy people waste away.

reply to post by KatieVA

That makes perfect sense to me. I guess it kind of keeps you grounded in a way as well. It is a good way to remember that you won't be here forever and to think about what kind of mark you want to leave behind.

As a side note, I must tell you again how much I love your avi. I watch it chew for at least full minute every time I see it.

edit on 4/22/2013 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Yep, it definitely keeps me grounded and reminds me to count my blessings everyday.

It must have a very stiff jaw! (ETA: my avatar, I mean!)
edit on 22-4-2013 by KatieVA because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I think when we look at such things,it's honoring the ones we watch,or the departed.To ignore pain,and the faces of the departed out of pity and sadness,does not ease their pain,nor does it bring them back here for a bit longer-it just ignores them.Also,it certainly does put our own troubles and heartaches in perspective.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Raxoxane

Putting things into perspective if what most all of us should do on a daily basis if we were honest with ourselves IMO. Me included. There is just too much going on around us day in and day out, that we lose track of a lot of things we shouldn't. Good answer!

top topics

join