It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Concept of God in Islam

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 06:59 AM
link   
I have observed that the idea of God among ATSes varies a lot, especially among the spiritualists and non typical christians.
So i thought i should put up the Islamic concept of God and see how much that resonates with ATSers.
I would appreciate if i also get to know what the idea of God is to the posters.
www.whyislam.org/submission/concept-of-god-submission/concept-of-god-in-islam/

Monotheism, belief in one God, is the
most important and foundational
concept in Islam. Muslims believe in
one God who created the universe
and has power over everything within
it. He is unique and exalted above everything He creates, and His
greatness cannot be compared to His
creation. Furthermore, He is the only
one deserving of any worship and the
ultimate purpose of all creation is to
submit to Him. The Islamic understanding of God is distinct from
all other religions and beliefs in
various respects since it is based on a
pure and clear understanding of
monotheism.

Muslims often refer to God as Allah.
This is a universal name for God and
does not refer to an exclusively
‘Islamic’ God. Interestingly, this name
is related to the Aramaic and Hebrew
names for God, Allaha and Elohim. Therefore, Allah is simply the Arabic
name for God

God is the Creator and the Sustainer of
the universe who created everything
for a reason. Muslims believe that He
created humankind with a simple
purpose – to worship Him. He sent
messengers to guide people in fulfilling this purpose. Some of these
messengers include Adam, Noah,
Abraham, Moses, Jesus, and
Muhammad, peace be upon all of
them. They all taught a consistent
message about God by affirming His greatness as the Creator and guiding
people to worship Him alone. This
basic concept has always resonated
with people’s natural understanding
of God.

When the final prophet, Muhammad,
peace be upon him (pbuh), was asked
about God, the answer came directly
from God in the holy book of Muslims,
the Quran (also spelled ‘Koran’): “Say,
‘He is God the One, God the eternal. He begot no one nor was He begotten.
No one is comparable to
Him.’” [112:1-4]
This is a clear
statement by God describing Himself to
humanity without any room for
confusion. God is One and is exalted above everything He creates and He is
capable over all things.

“He is God: there is no god other than
Him. It is He who knows what is
hidden as well as what is in the open,
He is the Lord of Mercy, the Giver of
Mercy. He is God: there is no god other
than Him, the Controller, the Holy One, Source of Peace, Granter of Security,
Guardian over all, the Almighty, the
Compeller, the Truly Great; God is far
above anything they consider to be
His partner. He is God: the Creator, the
Originator, the Shaper. The best names belong to Him. Everything in the
heavens and earth glorifies Him: He is
the Almighty, the Wise.” [Quran,
59:22-24]

The primary pillar of Islamic belief
clearly states that there is nothing
worthy of worship except God.
Associating partners with God or
attributing qualities of lesser beings to
Him is considered to be the greatest sin in Islam.

you may have to read the whole article to respond better.

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 07:05 AM
link   

In the end, we must understand that
our belief or disbelief in God does
not affect Him in any way.
Believing in Him, worshipping Him,
and following His commands will
only benefit us because we are in need of His blessings, favors and
mercy. On the other hand, He does
not need us because He is the Self-
Sufficient Creator. However, it is
never too late for a person to turn
back to God, seeking His guidance and forgiveness by submitting to
Him.
“Say: “O my Servants who have
transgressed against their souls!
Despair not of the Mercy of Allah: for
Allah forgives all sins: for He is Oft-
Forgiving, Most Merciful. Turn ye to our
Lord (in repentance) and bow to His (Will), before the Penalty comes on
you: after that ye shall not be helped.
And follow the best of (the courses)
revealed to you from your Lord,
before the Penalty comes on you – of a
sudden while ye perceive not!” [Quran, 39:53-55]

edit on 19-4-2013 by logical7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Posted on another thread but thought It would fit in here also.

Friends, the Baha'i faith should be explored. It embraces scientific knowledge in harmony with religion. God is timeless and therefore exists out of time and created a universe (or indeed the multi-verse) and all that follows and exists therein obey and follow paths according to the laws that govern them. i.e. gravity, quantum behavior, evolution and so on.

To say the universe can be created without God is just like saying I can scratch my head without God. It doesn't indicate God's lack of existence just our misunderstanding of God who can never be fully comprehended by man as our Brain is limited by the physical constraints of this world which obeys these very physical laws.

A little background...
You see the Baha'i faith sees all the prophets of the main monotheistic religions , Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Christianity and others as being all manifestations of the same God, over time as man grows and develops and cultures change Man has needed guidance in different forms. Ways of living in a barren lawless dessert thousands of years ago do not apply today.

You see the Baha'i faith teaches that each messenger of God has had a different central theme right for that people at that time. At the time of Moses it was the need to obey law, at the time of Buddha was detachment from the material and desires and at the time of Jesus it was the time to embrace love and forgiveness. The message for today is to embrace unity of the human race.

Each of the manifestations of God is built upon the next. If we cling on to the old messages from the earlier manifestations we do not evolve and grow instead we stick to rituals and traditions which have become meaningless, and corrupt them for our own devices and kill, suppress and divide in the name of them.

We need to recognise our unity and grow together, the whole New Atheism movement is using science to wedge itself between those that believe in God and those that don't.

Science and religion are to live harmoniously side by side. Our literal translation of ancient texts and unwillingness to drop the empty traditions and rituals of older religions have show how religions are full of contradictions, and things that science have revealed to be untrue. The writings in the Baha'i faith have made it all clear to me.

I implore all of you to research this for yourselves.

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by MrSpiderMonkey

i think you should make a thread! Thanks.

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by logical7
I have observed that the idea of God among ATSes varies a lot, especially among the spiritualists and non typical christians.
So i thought i should put up the Islamic concept of God and see how much that resonates with ATSers.
I would appreciate if i also get to know what the idea of God is to the posters.
www.whyislam.org/submission/concept-of-god-submission/concept-of-god-in-islam/

God is the Creator and the Sustainer of
the universe who created everything
for a reason.

Creator, sustainer, AND destroyer. Personified by Hindu as Brahma, Vishnu, and Shiva all wrapped in one Trimūrti... manifestations of Brahman in symbolic form.

Muslims believe that He
created humankind with a simple
purpose – to worship Him.

I believe "he" creates, preserves, and destroys for pleasure and delight. Rejoice!

Lila (Sanskrit: लीला, IAST līlā), or Leela is a concept within Hinduism literally meaning "pastime", "sport" or "play". It is common to both non-dualistic and dualistic philosophical schools, but has a markedly different significance in each. Within non-dualism, Lila is a way of describing all reality, including the cosmos, as the outcome of creative play by the divine absolute (Brahman).

‘He is God the One, God the eternal. He begot no one nor was He begotten.
No one is comparable to
Him.’” [112:1-4] This is a clear
statement by God describing Himself to
humanity without any room for
confusion. God is One and is exalted above everything He creates and He is
capable over all things.

Clear, eh? No confusion?

We are living in the post-modern era. There is always room for confusion. :p

Do you think you have a clear idea of the what-ness of eternity? Of time? If so you are deluding yourself.

God is ONE, eh? Do you think you know what it means to be ONE? Or to be multiple?

Do you think you know what it means to be ONE with something that is alien to your ego-self?

"The multiplicity is only apparent. This is the doctrine of the Upanishads. And not of the Upanishads only. The mystical experience of the union with God regularly leads to this view, unless strong prejudices stand in the way."

-Erwin Schrödinger

In itself, the insight is not new. The earliest records, to my knowledge, date back some 2500 years or more... the recognition ATMAN = BRAHMAN (the personal self equals the omnipresent, all-comprehending eternal self) was in Indian thought considered, far from being blasphemous, to represent the quintessence of deepest insight into the happenings of the world. The striving of all the scholars of Vedanta was after having learnt to pronounce with their lips, really assimilate in their minds this grandest of all thoughts.

Again, the mystics of many centuries, independently, yet in perfect harmony with each other (somewhat like the particles in an ideal gas) have described, each of them, the unique experience of his or her life in terms that can be condensed in the phrase: DEUS FACTUS SUM (I have become God).

-Erwin Schrödinger

edit on 19-4-2013 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Monotheism, belief in one God, is the
most important and foundational
concept in Islam.

I lean toward panentheism. Don't confuse it with pantheism.

No view of God is larger than the panentheistic view. All other theisms (deism, theism, polytheism, animism, pantheism, atheism) are fragmented theologies compared to panentheism. This is the ground for an inexhaustible faith-that God is present right now, in every cell of our bodies, in every beat of our hearts, in every person, in every star, in every loving thought, birthing every particle of every atom of the entire Creation into a constant stream of existence, the invisible Nothing and Nowhere that brings forth Everything and Everywhere. God in all things and all things in God invites wonder, and wonder invites all to touch God.

www.frimmin.com...

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   
BlueMule you didn't seem to understand the message Brother Logical7 is trying to tell. And your answers were quite confusing.

I belief in the oneness of Allah, there could not be two gods. For that would mean competition between the two and it would destroy the world, therefore Allah is one.

I would like to add that, Jesus was a Muslim, Abraham was a Muslim and Moses was a Muslim. They were not Jews, Christians or whatever they are called today. They were Muslims, Human beings submitting to will of Allah. He is eternal, If he were to sleep who would protect the planets from crashing? the Laws don't work without Allah's Will.

If you were to bring forth a mountain and place it above me telling to me disobey Allah, It wouldn't affect me in any way. I'm confident, In the strongest term possible that Allah is the Creator of the Universe and that he does not need us, but we need Him.

Peace be with you my Brother, I pray to Allah to give you a good ending, InshaAllah. Keep up with the good work.

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misbah
BlueMule you didn't seem to understand the message Brother Logical7 is trying to tell.

Yes I do understand. Not only do I understand the concept of God he is describing, but I also understand that he appreciates getting to know what the idea of God is to posters. He said so in the OP.

So I gave him an idea of what God is to me.

And your answers were quite confusing.

Then its you that doesn't understand.

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by BlueMule

thanks for your response Bluemule,
i know about brahama, vishnu, mahesh.
I also know about Lila.
They are interesting philosophies but i don't agree with them.

As Misbah pointed, we believe in the Absolute One God. Maybe you know the concept of Tawheed.

We don't have images of God, and we don't think god is a man sitting on top of himalaya wearing just a loincloth of tiger skin and having a snake around his neck, thats idolatory, we also don't worship his private parts!!
These are false gods and can't be accepted.
If you believe in everything(as true) then you believe in nothing.

Thanks for sharing your views, i got to know a new term 'panentheism'.
edit on 19-4-2013 by logical7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by logical7

I personally think there is a higher being that has created all this universe,but I don't necessarily believe in the specific gods described in the books of religions....I think god has programmed our brain and body in a way which if we believe in a creator and be thankful to him for all the beautiful things he is given us,we often will be happy, healthy and satisfied,but it doesn't mean that god needs our worship,we need him.....I think a life without any kind of belief is an empty scary place,and i am sure it gets even worse as one grows older......It doesn't really matter what you call your god,as long as you really believe in it.

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Creator, sustainer, AND destroyer. Personified by Hindu as Brahma, Vishnu, and Shiva all wrapped in one Trimūrti... manifestations of Brahman in symbolic form.

I believe "he" creates, preserves, and destroys for pleasure and delight. Rejoice!

God creates...
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth - Genesis 1:1

God sustains....
"I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the Lord sustains me" - Psalm 3:5

God destroys....
I am surely going to destroy both them and the earth. - Genesis 6:13

edit on 19-4-2013 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   

As Misbah pointed, we believe in the Absolute One God. Maybe you know the concept of Tawheed.

Yes. God is One. So is Human.

Human is One.

You ask, what does that mean. I tell you it doesn't mean that there is only one human and many false humans. Rather, it means that the multiplicity of day-to-day experience is false... all humans are united. All share a soul. A collective non-local soul that lives in each of us. That collective soul is our true identity.

"This multiplicity exists in the cluster of grapes;
It is not in the juice made from the grapes."

-Rumi

"Multiplicity is only apparent, in truth, there is only one mind..."

-Erwin Schrödinger

To say 'God is One' is to say the same thing. It doesn't mean that your God is the only real God and that all others are phonies. It means that all the Gods of all the religions that have ever been and ever will be are merely masks of God. Costumes of God. Symbolic, poetic forms. Including yours.

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   

The primary pillar of Islamic belief
clearly states that there is nothing
worthy of worship except God.

If you can believe that God is love, and that is what your prophet was trying to explain than you have found the truth.

What you say is true. There is nothing worth out passion/desire/worship/pursuit except love. Love is the only thing or concept that we know that we can agree on. Therefore if there is a God, God must be love, because love is the only truth that brings us together. Everything else creates separation and leads to the wold we live in.

Their is no right religion. Their is only love and the pursuit of love.

edit on 19-4-2013 by sacgamer25 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by MrSpiderMonkey

sorry man but Bahai is not a religion. it is one of two sects made by colonialists in Islam. Bahaism and Wahabism are two sects of Islam and they are made by Colonialists (eg. kingdom of England). Wahabism (radical salafism) is a radical, dangerous ideology that is made for colonialist purposes among Sunnie muslims in order to have influence on arab countries of the middle east. the situation in Syria is an example of what wahabism and radical salafism is doing in favor of colonialists and they are doing a Jihad against other muslims and christians for the sake of Israel ! just think why Egypt revoluted without war but Syria is a blood bath of muslims !
and Bahaism may look like a peaceful ideology but it is a soft power for colonialists to do their purposes among Shia muslims and mostly Iran.
what you mentioned about Bahai's belief regarding God, is just a copy of true Islam's viewpoint about God.
Islam is a victim, exactly like other monotheistic religions.
people, do not get me wrong, I can prove my words one by one. but yes we all have one God.

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Furthermore, He is the only one deserving of any worship and the ultimate purpose of all creation is to submit to Him.

Muslims believe that He created humankind with a simple purpose – to worship Him.

you may have to read the whole article to respond better.

Nah, I've read enough. I am now going to take over the world and have everyone submit to me. I will make everyone worship me. Tell me, does that make me a self-centered, self-serving megalomaniac?

I think it does.

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   

It is amazing how close the precepts of Islam and Judaism really are when you compare them. Your post helps us all understand how much Jews and Muslims really do have in common.

Shalom

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Nah, I've read enough. I am now going to take over the world and have everyone submit to me. I will make everyone worship me. Tell me, does that make me a self-centered, self-serving megalomaniac?
I think it does.

God did not "take over the world". He created it along with everything else in the first place.

IF YOU CAN... go ahead, create your own universe from nothing using your own powers... and create your own life forms and establish your power over them.Then I guess you will have every right to be worshiped by your creation.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Misbah

Peace be with you my Brother, I pray to Allah to give you a good ending, InshaAllah. Keep up with the good work.

Peace be with you too my dear Brother. I pray too that we have an end on Iman and in Islam. Thanks a lot.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 01:19 AM
link   

To say 'God is One' is to say the same thing. It doesn't mean that your God is the only real God and that all others are phonies. It means that all the Gods of all the religions that have ever been and ever will be are merely masks of God. Costumes of God. Symbolic, poetic forms. Including yours.

There is only one real God. As soon as God is given a costume/symbol/form, its limiting Him and that is not how it should be done.
If we can comprehend it then its not God.
I know your view and we have talked before.
We don't worship one form or one idea of a multiform God. We worship the formless(undefined) One God whom we can't comprehend except the knowledge about Himselves that He gave. Even using the masculine pronoun is a limit because of language.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by sacgamer25

If you can believe that God is love, and that is what your prophet was trying to explain than you have found the truth.

God is loving, one of the name of Allah is Al-Wadud

Al-Wadud
The Loving One, He who loves those
who do good and bestows on them
His compassion.
He alone is truly forgiving, all- embracing in his love. Al-Buruj 85:14

God has two types of love for His creations, one is all embracing love which encircles everyone including wrongdoers, unbelievers etc and second is specific love that is recieved by doers of good and those who obey Him, are humble and compassionate to others.

However just loving God is not enough, it should be put in action. Paying just lip service to God is not enough.
If i love God then i should love what God loves and thats His creation, so i deal with everyone as God wants me to and i try to rise above my personal hatred, fights etc just for the sake of Allah.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join