It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

They say the new gun laws are to prevent deaths right? Then why the heck do they allow......

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   
If the new gun laws are to prevent deaths in America, then explain to me why they still allow cigarettes to be sold? Just look at some of the stats regarding cigarettes.

Cigarette smoking causes about 1 of every 5 deaths in the United States each year.1,6 Cigarette smoking is estimated to cause the following:1
• 443,000 deaths annually (including deaths from secondhand smoke)
• 49,400 deaths per year from secondhand smoke exposure
• 269,655 deaths annually among men
• 173,940 deaths annually among women

Cigarette use causes premature death:
• On average, adults who smoke cigarettes die 14 years earlier than nonsmokers.7
• Based on current cigarette smoking patterns, an estimated 25 million Americans who are alive today will die prematurely from smoking-related illnesses, including 5 million people younger than 18 years of age.8

Secondhand Smoke and Death

Exposure to secondhand smoke—sometimes called environmental tobacco smoke—causes nearly 50,000 deaths each year among adults in the United States:1
• Secondhand smoke causes 3,400 annual deaths from lung cancer.1
• Secondhand smoke causes 46,000 annual deaths from heart disease.1,9,10

If the goal is indeed to protect America, then why aren't they going after the biggest killers??? People will say money and such other factors but why hasn't anyone brought this up in D.C. This proves it has nothing to do with safety of Americans, but rather for some other purpose they are hiding behind.

+2 more 
posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Because you can't defend yourself against a tyrannical government with a cigarette.

Seriously, it's the cause Du Jour and it gets them attention. They try to demonize guns, make it appear as if they actually care, that gets them sympathy votes. And it's all crap. They Want Power. Taking the guns ensures we have no last ditch defense.
On the news I just saw part of the weekly address that's coming out from the White House. A mom who's child was a victim at New Town, is pleading for more gun laws. Pathetic. How about we get mothers and fathers who child was killed because they live in a state with no concealed carry? Like that cesspool Chicago. Just like this administration to resort to these tactics. They can not use facts, so, they just try to make gun owners feel guilty by association, try to make it all about the children and you're a bad person if you don't agree.
edit on 15-4-2013 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-4-2013 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-4-2013 by DAVID64 because: spelling

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   
SHHHH now they might ban all freedoms that aren't 100% safe, it's not your life to risk, your body is to great an asset to the collective to allow possible harm through entertainment uses.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Because the government makes a ton of money taxing cigs, and cigs cannot be used to defend yourself against tyranny. Guns represent a threat to the power elite... cigs do not.
edit on 15-4-2013 by OptimusSubprime because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 08:12 AM
link   
They have hit cigarettes hard with regulation. The taxes are insane and plus you are limited to the places you can smoke outside of the home.

They are not trying to ban all your guns but they are regulating them the same as they have done for a pack of smokes. You'll notice you can still go and buy cigarettes even though its quite different than say 30 years ago when they were what, a dollar a pack or something?

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   
They allow cigs to be sold because obviously, EVERYBODY knows they make you look cool. I mean, come on. When i slick my hair back, put on a leather jacket and light one up, i turn into a total "lady killer". And dying of cancer while smelling like an ashtray all day? How cool is that?

Edit: also, they need the taxes from them. How else are they funding the background checks and swat team raid-gun confiscations?
edit on 15-4-2013 by dothedew because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Hopechest

You'll notice you can still go and buy cigarettes even though its quite different than say 30 years ago when they were what, a dollar a pack or something?

True.

But there is no paperwork to fill out.
No federal background check performed.
And the smoker goes out with the product and kills people.

The same is true for alcohol.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   

They are not trying to ban all your guns but they are regulating them the same as they have done for a pack of smokes. You'll notice you can still go and buy cigarettes even though its quite different than say 30 years ago when they were what, a dollar a pack or something?

that's like saying "well, they're not depriving you of ALL your rights..."

shall not be infringed.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Cigarettes and guns are actually a good analogy. What they are doing with guns right now is akin to saying that we are going to let you buy cigarettes, all brands that is except Winstons, and their filters have to be a certain length.

At least guns aren't being hit with a 90% tax or whatever the current smoke rate is.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   
You can slowly kill youself in many ways, cigarettes aren't comparible to guns. Cigarettes aren't an enabling weapon. Although personally I think cigarettes should be banned or at least not sold, it's disgusting. These are two very different issues, both should be dealt with.
edit on 15-4-2013 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bob Sholtz

that's like saying "well, they're not depriving you of ALL your rights..."

shall not be infringed.

They are not infringing your rights to buy guns at all.

Can you still go buy guns?

Nuff said.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Gun laws are never about preventing deaths.
Enforcing the current laws would do that.

Gun laws are simply a way the authorities can look at the public and go, hey, we're doing something, look at us, yay!

Crimes will still be committed by those with stolen and illegal weapons, despite any of these laws. All these laws do is to further restrict law-abiding citizens.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by djbj597922

Because the Gun thing is not about guns. It is about control.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

And more specifically its about appeasing certain bases to get votes to ensure some politicians remain in office. But your correct, it has absolutely nothing to do with preventing deaths.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Insane is an understatement. This is just a few and it's for One pack. Cigarettes are a huge tax windfall, so they don't really want people to quit.

www.theawl.com...

10. New Jersey ($8.35): $8.00 = -4% 9. Rhode Island ($8.60): $8.16 = -5% 8. Washington D.C. ($7.99): $8.27 = +4% 7. Massachusetts ($8.30): $8.49 = +2% 6. Connecticut ($8.25): $8.85 = +7% 5. Washington ($9.89): $8.98 = -10% 4. Alaska ($9.14): $9.39 = +3% * 3. Hawaii ($9.73) = +5% 2. Illinois ($9.67): $10.25 = +6% 1. New York ($11.90): $12.50 = +5%

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by DAVID64

Yea I actually believe that what they are doing with cigarettes is a far greater threat to us than anything they are doing with guns.

Guns have at least some protection from the Constitution and the Courts, they can only do so much, but cigarettes do not and the government is forcing your behavior through policy.

That to me is beyond scary and I'm sure the Founders would throw up their arms and cry, "You know we just got done fighting a war because this is exactly what the British were doing to us.....idiots!"

In my opinion we need another amendment to prevent or limit consumption taxes and other types so that the government cannot do things like this. Now the healthcare law is a tax and is acceptable and it makes you wonder what will be next since apparently the government is not being held in check.

I'd say guns are very low on the endangered species list.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   

At least guns aren't being hit with a 90% tax or whatever the current smoke rate is.

And taxes on guns and ammo goes to support wildlife and their environment, through the Pittman Robertson Act.

I never really had any problem with that.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

And taxes on guns and ammo goes to support wildlife and their environment, through the Pittman Robertson Act.

I never really had any problem with that.

I didn't know that actually so thank you for the information.

I think most gun owners are fairly decent environmentalists to some degree. They seem to go hand in hand so I'm glad to see those taxes being put to a good use.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by djbj597922

Hi OP,

I quote your figures here :

• 443,000 deaths annually (including deaths from secondhand smoke)
• 49,400 deaths per year from secondhand smoke exposure
• 269,655 deaths annually among men
• 173,940 deaths annually among women

My answer to your question : Sadly because 443,000 people slowly dying a painful death from cancer and cigarette related diseases does not have the same media impact than a child being shot by a gun toting lunatic.

Plus the fact that much money is to be made out of those smoke taxes.

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   
You can't compare the two at all.

If you choose to smoke it's your decision, not someone else's.

If someone try to shoot and kill you, it's someone else decision, not yours.

The comparisons you guys come with in here are completly stupid.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join